ABBA - I Still Have Faith In You/ Don't Shut Me Down

?

• Total voters
I don't know the other Swedish song you all have been saying DSMD sounds like but I can definitely hear the I Love to Love connection!
From memory I'm not hearing I Love To Love. Perhaps I need to listen with an ear for it.

From memory I'm not hearing I Love To Love. Perhaps I need to listen with an ear for it.

I'm FAR from a musical expert but I'd say the melody line in the chorus of "I love to love" sounds a bit like the "I'm hot / Don't shut me down" one. But then again it's six notes which are probably repeated a gazillion times in the history of pop music.

I must say after multiple listens I don’t LOVE the first minute of I Still Have Faith In You, but by god by the time it ends I’m practically in tears EVERY SINGLE TIME. A wonder.

Don’t Shut Me Down is incredible. It’s absolute classic upbeat ABBA. The lyrics are everything.
“I believe it would be fair to say…you look bewildered” in particular really chimes with me. Uniquely ABBA in its phrasing. Dripping in subtle melancholy. Timeless. Instantly iconic.

Pre-ordered the HMV vinyl as I believe it would be fair to say…it has the nicest cover :disco:

Still had "DSMD" in my head this morning. And that's an old weirdo like me talking.

Is nobody else getting 'Främling' from 'Don't Shut Me Down'? I can't even hum without going into it.
Now you say it, yes! The melody is just sublime. It could actually make me cry.

There is something both bizarre and utterly wonderful at being able to witness the frenzy and hype surrounding the release of a brand new ABBA album and to see that new material hurtling up the global iTunes charts. As an old crone, it's not something that I thought I would ever see in my lifetime and yet here we are. The last time I felt like this was when Kate Bush announced her return to the concert stage and her entire back-catalogue of albums re-charted as a result. Strange and yet magical times I live in.

65 and 79 on spotify for yesterday, which feels quite good for 6 hours availability and a band of their era.... tomorrow's positions will be interesting. Would love them to get a top 10 hit

All Ed Sheeran tracks should be removed from the chart to make way for ABBA (and because it’s just good sense).

They SHOULD climb tomorrow but that will be negated by about 20 Drake tracks flooding the top end of the Spotify chart. Thankfully only 3 will be allowed to chart officially.

They SHOULD climb tomorrow but that will be negated by about 20 Drake tracks flooding the top end of the Spotify chart. Thankfully only 3 will be allowed to chart officially.

If Drake album tracks block Abba from the top 10, it will be a travesty

I'm still currently favouring I Still Have Faith In You, and am choosing to read it as a paean to their fans :disco:

• Love
Reactions: Zu
I feel he may regret saying that.
I'm sure he's got a few quid to spare if poor dear sad old Tina decides to SUE

Anyway it reminds me much more of 'One Of Us' and (for whatever reason) 'If It Wasn't For The Nights'

I know they moved away from combined vocals in the later albums, but I really hope we get at least a couple of songs where we get them throughout.

I know they moved away from combined vocals in the later albums, but I really hope we get at least a couple of songs where we get them throughout.
I’d imagine Just A Notion is a good shout unless they’ve completely reimagined it.

Don't Shut Me Down is the better song by a mile. It's got so much depth.

What happens at the end?

I think his girlfriend walks out from the other room and says 'Darling who is this?'... :o

They're at opposite ends of the ABBA spectrum which makes it nigh on impossible to pick a favourite. Combined they're simply as good a comeback as I could have wished for.

I'm sure he's got a few quid to spare if poor dear sad old Tina decides to SUE

At least Carola won't consider suing - she knows the only real JUDGE RESIDES IN THE HEAVENS 🙌 :lolly:

Then again, Främling feels more similar in terms of structure and tempo than downright melody. :disco:

Reactions: COB
48 hours later and I'm still in a bit of disbelief at how good the songs are. Don't Shut Me Down is an instant classic but I'm coming round to Faith, too.

Greatest Double-A since "Here & Now"/"You'll Be Sorry" :disco:

Don't Shut Me Down has just replaced I Still Have Faith In You at #1 on UK iTunes. So I'm legitimately claiming both of them as UK #1s now.

Radio 2 has chosen Don’t Shut Me Down as their record of the week next week as well, so I feel that’s the one that’s going to stick as “the new ABBA song”

I am quite tearful that ABBA have recognised A*Teens as their official placeholders and released an answer record to "Have a Little Faith In Me".

Reactions: COB
Don't Shut Me Down is just so good. The chorus has all those little ABBA ticks that make it the perfect "comeback" song. And here I was thinking that Venus was the greatest ABBA song released post-1983.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom