ABBA The Movie - Fan Events 2023

jyxz

User

Anyone going to go to either of these events (Sun 17th & Tuesday 19th September)?

This fan event also features exclusive extras, including an insight from the creators of the phenomenally successful London-based concert ABBA: Voyage, plus a glimpse at ABBA The Museum in Stockholm, lyric videos from hit songs, and extremely rare behind-the-scenes footage from preparation ahead of the 1977 tour.

Yes, we're in. £25 each for the cinema, though... :bruised:

In case anyone else is interested, I signed up to the link but heard nothing back, and that seems to be the case across social media. The Everyman chain is showing it here and in Cardiff and may be elsewhere, so at least for that cost we'll get a lovely cinema and can have a nice dinner afterwards, rather than going to some soulless multiplex on a ring road and having a choice of KFC or Nando's.

oh - saw your comment on the soulless multiplex
How does £15 for this compare to the usual price at the cinema you're going to?

For the Everyman here, the standard price is over £16, so I suppose they can justify the extra nine quid for a 'fan event' and all those lyric videos we've been watching for free on YouTube for a year already :side-eye:

Vue in Leicester Square is charging around £13-16, which is normal for live music, theatre, sports and so on, compared to £9.99 for standard films.

Our local Everyman is £23 for ABBA (12 for general admissions).

Odeon is £12.50 for general admission. So not too much mark-up really!

Looks like Everyman are consciously choosing to fleece middle aged gays and women then.

Honestly, you'd think they would make enough from bar sales of prosecco and Aperol Spritz.

The day is here. And according to the Everyman website, it's sold 24 tickets :D

Including one person who despite ALL THAT SPACE has chosen a single seat next to us :evil:

About 90 tickets sold for Vue… can’t wait to witness some of these ABBA message board sorts in the flesh.

About 90 tickets sold for Vue… can’t wait to witness some of these ABBA message board sorts in the flesh.
It's actually showing in 4 cinemas here, which surprises me. The Showcase and Vue have both sold 50 or 60 tickets each at at least a tenner less (each) than I'm paying. So I think the Everyman is suffering for that price. I guess there will hopefully be at least a few more sales on the door though.

You're too young to have attended the old fan club events which used to be held here, as the woman who ran the UK fan club lived here. They were the biggest of the type in the UK. I think they ran for a few years from the mid to late 90s, and I went to one in the early days with Mr L. I do hope those fans (very much including ourselves) are in the audience today, rather than just the singalong pissed up on prosecco crowd.

OK no it’s obvious who’s here for the ABBA Movie. Other than a few Sharons and Brendas who think they’re seeing Mamma Mia, it’s all our lot. 😍

Reactions: LTZ
So, was it any good?

Debating whether to go to the Vue tomorrow…

Well you know exactly what you're getting in terms of The Movie.

There's a bit about Abba The Museum, a bit about Abba Voyage, and a short bit of tour rehearsal before the film (I didn't time it, but i imagine the three together were 10-15 minutes) and a few lyric videos after. Advertising it as 'the ultimate Abba party' feels a little off.

I'd personally only go if you have a hankering to see The Movie on the big screen.

Last edited:
As I presumed then. I don’t think I’ll bother to be honest…but thanks for the tip off!

Other than a
We made a quick escape when the sing-along bit started!
Was it necessary? I think only one group of three women of a certain age started singing and dancing a bit, and they were several rows away so I could barely hear them.

Was it necessary? I think only one group of three women of a certain age started singing and dancing a bit, and they were several rows away so I could barely hear them.
Yeah I had a feeling it might go down better when a group of guys started chanting "WE WANT EBBA" in exaggerated Australian accents before the film, but when the sing-along bit started there didn't seem to be much participation.

That said, @GNL (who really loved the movie :)) and I were at the exit by the time the vocals kicked in.

I fear @Pingu just didn't want to be exposed to me CROAKING my way through 'Waterloo'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom