Adele - 30

Yeah not her best, I wanted something a bit punchier. She's going for the Someone Like You vibe, can't say I blame her

JUST A HYPE TRACK (#1 in 250 countries)
Funky: just wanted something I could dance to, y'knerrr.

vqo7PA.gif

It’s nice enough, I guess it’s more of a mission statement for the album than a blockbuster single, which is fine. But sort of a shame because she’s delivered moments before.

That video is kind of amateurish though. I don’t know whose idea that first minute and a half was. Horror movie opening dialogue. The black and white to colour is so quick and not at a climactic moment at all, it does seem to be trying to be the Hello video until it isn’t. And then “lolz we are making a pop video” bonus scene…

The song is alright, I’m glad X-factor is cancelled so we don’t have to hear people auditioning with those runs. It’s just not exciting enough to stop me getting a bit distracted by the shit video

Last edited:
The video aesthetic was so similar to Hello I was expecting some sort of continuity and then it didn't happen. Weird.

But Diddy hun, did you like the video?

NO! Just hope it wasn’t some acclaimed professional.

It’s weird, I don’t usually have so many specific thoughts about music videos :D I am currently waking up on the wrong side of the bed though

Holding out for whatever that Marvin Gaye-a-like track is on the album

Well the Hello ‘callback’ makes more sense now, it’s the same director.

Should’ve been in colour from the start!

This sounds like leftovers from the previous album. Not even as memorable as Hello.

WELL HOPEFULLY JUST A COUPLE OF HOURS :D

Well I hear no cause for concern, it's very nice and the chorus is easier on the ears than some of her meatier staples.

just had a breakup 2 weeks ago and only the verses are clicking....?

the chorus being such a disappointment has been more devastating to process than my actual break-up. i was really looking forward to sobbing and thinking about him through fall..

75 on initial listen

Well it’s all very pleasant, but it’s an Adele ballad sounding like Adele in the way she’s always sounded, isn’t it? Hoping there are some decent uptempos coming or at least something with a great bassline.

I'm not meh, but I'm not excited. It's nice and her voice sounds lovely, but it does like a generic third Adele single.

I suspect the reason we have this song, having seen the pre release write ups, is that it fits the mould of Adele radio hit best. Which would suggest that the idea of more adventurous sounds upcoming may bare fruit.

I dunno. Good luck to her. I still like her.

I'm going to see how long I can go before I'm exposed to this. It'll be good practice for Whamageddon.

just had a breakup 2 weeks ago and only the verses are clicking....?

the chorus being such a disappointment has been more devastating to process than my actual break-up. i was really looking forward to sobbing and thinking about him through fall..

75 on initial listen
What a comeback post 🫂

Anyway, I'm going to predict a very Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie / Born This Way sales trajectory.

Very much Adele by-the-numbers. It'll be #1 until Christmas after her Strictly performance. Not confirmed but she's bound to now there's no X-Factor.

EXACTLY what I thought it would be which I'm sure is what the record company ordered.

Jo Whiley was going on about Goldfrapp influences when I heard her in the background waxing lyrical about this, but I presume she's heard the album and she's not referring to this :D

So was Jesy Nelson this time last week :D
Oh wait, either I'm going mad or the tweet's changed :D I originally read that it was the fastest ever #1 and that it reached it in 3 minutes.

Reaching #1 in iTunes isn't exactly something to take note of! :D

EXACTLY what I thought it would be which I'm sure is what the record company ordered.

Jo Whiley was going on about Goldfrapp influences when I heard her in the background waxing lyrical about this, but I presume she's heard the album and she's not referring to this :D

She has - that track has “layered vocals over a hypnotic beat”

She shouldn’t have made the Goldfrapp comparison because now instead of us all thinking “ooh that sounds different” we’re just going to compare to Goldfrapp and be inevitably disappointed!

Easy On Me

iTunes (32x #1):
#1 United States
#1 United Kingdom
#1 Australia
#1 Barbados
#1 Brunei Darussalam
#1 Bulgaria
#1 Cambodia
#1 Canada
#1 Costa Rica
#1 Denmark
#1 Finland
#1 Guatemala
#1 Honduras
#1 Indonesia
#1 Malaysia
#1 Malta
#1 Mexico
#1 Netherlands
#1 New Zealand
#1 Panama
#1 Paraguay
#1 Peru
#1 Philippines
#1 Singapore
#1 Slovenia
#1 South Africa
#1 Sweden
#1 Switzerland
#1 Thailand
#1 The Bahamas
#1 Uganda
#1 Vietnam

Even Jesy couldn’t conquer Brunei.

I have to say, I rather like it, but I don’t really know what I am expecting from her.

She has - that track has “layered vocals over a hypnotic beat”

She shouldn’t have made the Goldfrapp comparison because now instead of us all thinking “ooh that sounds different” we’re just going to compare to Goldfrapp and be inevitably disappointed!

It's especially risky with Goldfrapp when they can sound so different from album to album.

I'm in the slightly underwhelmed category based on first listen. It is rare for ballads to grab you first time out though, although I think Someone Like You managed it better than any other song I can remember. Not that she had the weight of expectation on her then like now.

I quite like it but it feels a bit LOW-KEY and MELISMA-HEAVY for my loving.

Also she's SAT ON CHAIRS for POP VIDEOS much better (see the UTTERLY ICONIC and 300x MORE VISUALLY ARRESTING video for Rolling in the Deep, which remains her BEST SONG for me).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom