aimee mann - avalanche

Wonderful, I love the atmosphere of it. When I watched the series I looked for this but it hadn't been released yet.

It is, of course, brilliant.

And in a recent interview she says there will be vinyl reissues of Bachelor No. 2 and Lost in Space!! :disco:

Aimee album rankings in the run-up to the queen of pop's return:

1. Lost In Space
2. Smilers
3. Bachelor No. 2 (Or, The Last Remains of the Dodo)
4. Mental Illness
5. The Forgotten Arm
6. Whatever
7. I'm With Stupid
8. Charmer
9. One More Drifter In The Snow

She has maintained her level so well over the years. I fear people miss out on her as her material isn’t instant, even for me as a fan, but after a few listens when it clicks it clicks so strongly.

1 Lost In Space
2 Bachelor No.2
3 Smilers
4 The Forgotten Arm
5 Mental Illness
6 Whatever
7 Charmer
8 I’m With Stupid
9 One More Drifter In The Snow

1. The Forgotten Arm
2. Smilers
3. Lost in Space
4. Bachelor No.2
5. Mental Illness
6. Charmer
7. One More Drifter In The Snow
8. Whatever
9. I’m With Stupid

She’s been recommended to me over the years and in the small bits I’ve been offered I’ve not been disappointed. I don’t understand why she’s eluded me all these years. Which album should I start with?

She’s been recommended to me over the years and in the small bits I’ve been offered I’ve not been disappointed. I don’t understand why she’s eluded me all these years. Which album should I start with?
I'd start with Bachelor No. 2.

Reactions: GNL
She has not released a single subpar album. The quality control is something else from the Queen of Pop.

I'm always mystified when I see "Whatever" ranked so low. It's easily her most varied album. I'd never put "Bachelor" near the top, despite its highlights, because it's rather a Frankenstein record (Magnolia soundtrack vs. Bachelor North America vs Bachelor V2 vs Bachelor 20th Anniversary). She'd also started to get a little one note. Another lyrical takedown of a foe? Change the channel, Aimee. "The Forgotten Arm" came along at just the right time. She became kinder when writing for characters ("Forgotten Arm" is a multi song tale of a Vietnam vet and his lover).

I'm always mystified when I see "Whatever" ranked so low. It's easily her most varied album. I'd never put "Bachelor" near the top, despite its highlights, because it's rather a Frankenstein record (Magnolia soundtrack vs. Bachelor North America vs Bachelor V2 vs Bachelor 20th Anniversary). She'd also started to get a little one note. Another lyrical takedown of a foe? Change the channel, Aimee. "The Forgotten Arm" came along at just the right time. She became kinder when writing for characters ("Forgotten Arm" is a multi song tale of a Vietnam vet and his lover).
It's only ranked so low in her discography because her albums discography is so good. I can see where you're coming from with Bachelor No. 2 but the themes lyrically were pretty amazing. In fact as much as I love The Forgotten Arm I have to say that thematically it's amazing but it has some lyrical cliches ... we used to make fun in the old Aimee Mann forum about how she overuses the word 'baby' on it.

And please rank Aimee's albums! So wonderful to see Aimee fans :disco:

God I LOVED Mental Illness so much, it's the only Aimee album I've properly SUCCUMBED to.

PERCHED for a new album, albeit it unlikely to sound like Mental Illness: the sequel judging by her BACK CAT!

I think if we go for an 'at the moment / stream of consciousness / off the top of my head' approach it will be easier

Off the top of my head:

1. Phoenix
2. Little Bombs
3. Goodbye Caroline
4. Clean Up For Christmas
5. Labrador
6. Invisible Ink
7. Calling On Mary
8. Deathly
9. It’s Over
10. It’s Not

Well whilst it is lovely to see new faces and hear their opinions this would be me in an actual group discussion at the slightest criticism of Bachelor No.2
1620496752079.gif

Last edited:
This is just too hard. So I'll go for an 'off the top of my tete' approaché:

1. Little Bombs
2. Humpty Dumpty
3. Could've Been Anyone
4. Red Vines
5. Video
6. Sugarcoated
7. Deathly
8. The Great Beyond
9. This Is How It Goes
10. It's Not

11. Borrowing Time
12. Good for Me
13. Mr Harris
14. Goose Snow Cone
15. Choice In The Matter

And honestly
I might be foolish to think
Love is love
But I do
And you've waited so long and
I've waited long enough
For you

Queen Aimee inventing 'LOVE IS LOVE' on her debut album queens.

I wanted to believe in you and baby I believe it still
Baby I've just had my fill
You love me like a dollar bill
You roll me up and trade me in
And if you have the chance you will
And if you get the chance again
I know you'll do the best you can

But baby love doesn't change anything at all
I know love doesn't change a thing...

:TurtleTime:

My favourite off the top of my head lyrics are these next couple of posts. Relatable.

“Like a building that's been slated for blasting
I'm the proof that nothing is lasting
Counting to eleven as it collapses”

“So here I'm sitting in my car at the same old stop light.
I keep waiting for a change, but I don't know what.
So red turns into green, turning into yellow.
But I'm just frozen here on the same old spot.
And all I have to do is press the pedal.
But I'm not. No I'm not.”

“But you sit there in the darkness,
And you make plans but they're hopeless
And you blame God when you're lonely
And you'll call it fate, when you show up too late and it's over”

“And baby isn't this your chance
To make a break with circumstance
And isn't it enough to prove today's the day?
Isn't it enough to prove today's the day?”

“So here I'm sitting in my car at the same old stop light.
I keep waiting for a change, but I don't know what.
So red turns into green, turning into yellow.
But I'm just frozen here on the same old spot.
And all I have to do is press the pedal.
But I'm not. No I'm not.”
This one still gets to me. The first time I heard it I was in a pretty bad situation life/career/relationship-wise in general and it just killed me. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom