Alanis Morissette - thank u

How bout getting off of these antibiotics?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Called "thank u" but confusingly the single cover said:

1665221838293.png

Much mocked at the time but it really is fantastic. The production on it is wonderful - it's aged so well! Probably my favourite Alanis vocal performance too. That outro :disco:

I'm glad to see it's her fourth biggest Spotify hit too, just behind Ironic, You Oughta Know and Hand In My Pocket.

Really strong production, vocal and song. She went up a level from JLP, for me, with this. It was a bit maligned at the time, moreso the video, which was tiredly predictable press treatment for a female solo artist coming off a huge album at the time.

I played it on shuffle just now which led onto Sinead’s ‘Thank You For Hearing Me’, a very nice one two.

• Love
Reactions: VoR
The video was incredibly brave really. It was mocked but it should have been CELEBRATED!
Completely agree and it was relevant to the story to see her 'naked' but not in a sexualised way. I feel it expressed the sentiment of the song beautifully.

The video was incredibly brave really. It was mocked but it should have been CELEBRATED!

Also Brave (out now) to have such a comparatively gentle lead single (and a smash to boot), considering how the reputation she was given was for woman scorned angst (and leading the marketing pushes for several female singer songwriters in her wake)

I don't think there was any other possible choice of lead single from SFIJ really. It's a wonderful album, but not exactly bursting with hits.

It's funny how this song feels so wildly ahead of its time.

These days it feels very in line with wellness culture, and all the 90s mockery feels symptomatic of the toxic masculinity and mental un-health of the time.

This was a mid-Autumn release, my first part time job, early nights, everything about 1998 is nostalgic for me, and this is at ground zero

I bought this and R.E.M.'s much maligned Up at the same time, and they both could not evoke Autumn more for me. I was doing a really difficult job at the time and they both powered me through it, and it still feels like yesterday. I still really love both albums.

I don't think there was any other possible choice of lead single from SFIJ really. It's a wonderful album, but not exactly bursting with hits.

Pffttt! You don't think Capital FM could have blasted out 'The Couch' or 'I Was Hoping' in drivetime hour?

She randomly performed this on American Idol last week.

I guess Kylie's booking suddenly makes more sense. :basil: Gorgeous though.

Last edited:
She randomly performed this on American Idol last week.

I guess Kylie's booking suddenly makes more sense. :basil: Gorgeous though.

Sounding great, especially the end 'ad libs'. Her mic could have been turned up a bit though. Nice to see something from Supposed getting mainstream(ish) recognition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom