Album XVII

Eddie

User
Recording is now underway for the next album which will follow an alleged re-release of Tension this year and she is apparently working with (among others) nicopop who was behind much of the last Slayyyter album. :disco:

I know albums are generally front-loaded these days, but the way Tension was just sent out and left to die will never not baffle me.

I suspect Tension was primarily intended as a vehicle to support the Vegas residency....a tour never seemed to be on the cards.

I know albums are generally front-loaded these days, but the way Tension was just sent out and left to die will never not baffle me.

It's typical BMG, no? They did it with the last few Steps albums too. Admittedly, I know Tension isn't really comparable to What The Future Holds in terms of how an album campaign could have played out, but they seem to go for front-loaded sales every time, with little to no interest in anything else after the first week or so.

Last edited:
She got the Vegas gig and told the album to fuck off :D

I'm sure we'll get another single from the re-release. There is no way BMG will not want the album to go gold at least.

It's typical BMG, no? They did it with the last few Steps albums too. Admittedly, I know Tension isn't really comparable to What The Future Holds in terms of how an album campaign could have played out, but they seem to go for front-loaded sales every time, with little to no interest in anything else after the first week or so.
Golden and actually even Disco didn't follow that strategy (lest we forgot that we got a video for Miss A Thing (!) as late as 2022)

Also a representative from HYBE management has stated there might be a collaboration with BTS in the offing (next year).

I was thinking about Tension the other day and, yes, how it was left to die. It was strange. Yes, Vegas meant a different trajectory and yes, they can’t have realised what Padam Padam was going to do, but it was an odd thing to do for a “successful” album with great reviews and the biggest single she’s had in years. How they didn’t even do anything with Vegas High is beyond me.

Oh well, here comes the inevitable repackage. 🥱.

Golden and actually even Disco didn't follow that strategy (lest we forgot that we got a video for Miss A Thing (!) as late as 2022)

I agree that Golden was marketed really well. But it's very much the exception.

Disco, I would wager, dropped off a cliff after Magic to most people beyond the fans.

I wouldn't bother with a Tension re-release now. the album is dead, there's been no noise in 4 months and if there's a new album coming maybe next year anyway they could always try giving the fans' wallets a BREAK!

Maybe it's what happens when you chuck out all the formats in the first week to get a number one and then piss everyone off with a ÂŁ4.99 download after their pre-order packages of 4 different vinyl colours, 3 cassettes and a 'deluxe' CD have arrived. The albums market is increasingly mimicking the 90s singles market -only the first week matters.

The albums market is increasingly mimicking the 90s singles market -only the first week matters.

I think it's almost worse than that! At least in the 90s, despite the front-loaded push, many tracks still hung around the chart and sold more in the long run than they managed in the first week. Now feels more comparable to the nadir of the mid-'00s when sales were way down, and, in most cases, if a track didn't have a good first week, it'd be lucky to sell more than a few thousand copies in total.

Given the market conditions, I completely see why labels feel compelled to follow this strategy. I just wonder if we'll end up going full circle and someone, at some point, might realise the benefit of slowing down a campaign so that three singles aren't jostling for airplay and visibility at once.

I want a Tension re-release if only because I don't want Joel Corry near the next album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom