American Life - Platinum
Confessions On A Dance Floor - 4x Platinum
The Confessions Tour - Silver - 60,000
Hard Candy - Platinum
Celebration - 2x Platinum
MDNA - Gold - 100,000
Rebel Heart - Gold
Madame X - Silver

Total - 18,020,000 certified album sales in the UK.

(thanks to Livetotell from MNation)

LAV is really under-certified isn't it!!!1!!!

Madame X must have sold more than that already? I guess there’s just a bit slow with the certs?

I forget the debut did so much better in America (5x platinum) than the UK... although most of its sales were in its catalog days anyway.

I forget the debut did so much better in America (5x platinum) than the UK... although most of its sales were in its catalog days anyway.
Madonna is also under-certified. It should be at least 2 if not even 3xP in the UK..

Surely TIC is close to 13P at this point.
I know its chart run was mucked up when they briefly (inexplicably) moved it to the budget album shart (intentional typo) but it's still a consistent seller.
They should start the reissue campaign with 20K of TIC blue and gold repress.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm surprised it's even gone silver. I wonder how much of that is streaming (after all she is the Queen of Streaming these days with nearly 20M Spotify listeners yasss etc.) - its chart run was abysmal!

I’m still always surprised her biggest selling album was True Blue worldwide, but to be fair most of them had huge sales. It always felt to me she seemed at her biggest during the Like A Prayer era.

I’m still always surprised her biggest selling album was True Blue worldwide, but to be fair most of them had huge sales. It always felt to me she seemed at her biggest during the Like A Prayer era.
Oh it was quite the opposite actually. She had a relative but substantial dip in her sales during the LAP era.

Christian boycotts?
Well yeah and also she abandoned her trademark pop sound for a more adult contemporary flavour so she lost some of the teenybopper contingent.
Certainly in the UK the SAW explosion didn't help either which cemented itself in '88 (her 'fallow year') .

It's missing Bits n' Bobs.

I wonder if LaP's relative commercial dip was perhaps losing the younger crowd at least compared to her previous image? I'm not suggesting that Tiffany, Debbie and Martika stole those extra 10 million sales, but you know what I mean. Unless a lot more people are allergic patchouli than anticipated, but Vogue did usher in a new era rather swiftly and those last 2 singles (I'm calling them Oh Father and Keep It Together) weren't the ludicrous level of La Isla Bonita as 5th single momentum. That Madonna mania reached a new peak on Immaculate does indicate she was still very much bulletproof here.

I assumed the dip for Like a Prayer was attributable, in part, to TIC cannibalizing its sales the following year. It didn't have the years of sales without TIC like the previous albums did. With that said, I'm not sure many of her contemporaries outsold it in 1989 did they? It wrapped up the year #7 in the UK and #12 in the US. Janet and Paula outsold her in the States at that time, and Kylie in the UK. Not sure of any other pop females that fared better at that time.

Last edited:
Madame X must have sold more than that already? I guess there’s just a bit slow with the certs?
I think certifications are automatic so likely it’s just passed that.

LAP always seems lower than it should which from above does seem from the controversy at the time. I guess True Blue was such a big seller than any fall would’ve been expected. Were album sales lower then? I know singles hit a wall in 88-92, likely due to the format changing to CDs, not sure if albums were the same?

I think possibly a bit of all the above regarding lower than anticipated sales for LAP. But I think it is also the case that it isn't QUITE the commercial success people think it was. Obviously it is still a very successful album by any standard, just not as hugely successful as True Blue.

LAP 'only' had 12 weeks in the top ten, of which only 4 in the top 5, 2 at #1.

True Blue had 36 weeks in the top ten, 24 in the top 5, 6 at #1.

LAV 30 weeks Top ten, 14 in the top 5 and 2 at #1.

I think largely I'd agree with @Suedey and say it's because her sound developed and she lost the younger market. This probably not helped by that fallow year and music developments in that time. Prior to that her career had been utterly relentless and she dragged everyone along with it. That year allowed the audience (particularly the younger audience) time to look around - and she returned as a woman in her early thirties singing about death and divorce.

Last edited:
It's missing Bits n' Bobs.

I wonder if LaP's relative commercial dip was perhaps losing the younger crowd at least compared to her previous image? I'm not suggesting that Tiffany, Debbie and Martika stole those extra 10 million sales, but you know what I mean. Unless a lot more people are allergic patchouli than anticipated, but Vogue did usher in a new era rather swiftly and those last 2 singles (I'm calling them Oh Father and Keep It Together) weren't the ludicrous level of La Isla Bonita as 5th single momentum. That Madonna mania reached a new peak on Immaculate does indicate she was still very much bulletproof here.
:D Yes, où se trouvent les Bits ‘N’ Bobs stats, bitte?

I know we’ve already had this conversation AS IF THAT’S EVER STOPPED US PRESSING REPEAT BEFORE but I do think that Bedtime Stiries is one of her best :disco:

This is all very well but some of us (including Amazon reviewers such as the one who wrote the review below) are crying out for some of the Bits 'N' Bobs standouts to go viral on Tick Tock :(

"On my home Hifi and on a normal car stereo it sounds worse than listening to a cassette tape on a Saisho cassette deck that hasn't had the heads cleaned it in ages. It almost sounds mono.(:D)"

All the hits AND MORE in fact! Buy NOW!

1-Like a virgin (MTV VMA 1984)
2-Holiday (Live Aid 1985)
3-Into the groove (Live Aid 1985)
4-Love makes the world go round (Live Aid 1985)
5-Causing a commotion (MTV VMA 1987)
6-Express yourself (MTV VMA 1989)
7-Sooner or later (Academy Awards 1991)
8-Fever (SNL 1993)
9-Bad girl (SNL 1993)
10-Fever (Arsenio Hall Show 1993)
11-The lady is a tramp feat. Anthony Kiedis (Arsenio Hall Show 1993)
12-Bye bye baby (MTV VMA 1993)
13-Take a bow feat. Babyface (American Music Awards 1995)
14-Lucky star (TV broadcast Japan 1987)
15-La isla bonita (TV broadcast Japan 1987)

Mmm... just SAVOUR THAT EXPENSIVE MONO SOUND :disco:

BITS N BOBS CHART PEAKS anyone?

United Kingdom - #2,542 (1 week)
Luxembourg - #9,650 (1 week)
Yugoslavia - #4,523 (1 week)
Rhodesia - #1,999 (1 week)
Czechoslovakia - #2* (3 weeks)

*Limited CD release included FREE BOX OF DOUGHNUTS :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom