Angela Lansbury DEAD

I am crying. I have so much to be grateful for because of Angela Lansbury. Forever an icon in my life from Gaslight to the Manchurian Candidate and - of course - the most comforting television series ever. I feel like my favourite aunt just died.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks was probably my favourite Disney film as a child.

RIP hun

The Manchurian Candidate is the best ever example of ā€œrobbed of an Oscarā€

Oh no! I always hoped there was a surprise final Jessica Fletcher tv special to come.

One of the best days of my life was going to the Angela Lansbury festival in Poplar a few years ago - full of people who just ADORED her. She was hysterically funny and had NO TIME for a super fan who spent 5min showing off about his knowledge during the Q&A. She just said: ā€œHave you finished answering your own question?ā€

Oh no :(

Who is the earliest surviving Oscar nominee now?

Johns is 99 and Eva Marie Saint is 98, so both older than Lansbury.
Oh right- but was Lansbury nominated first? Looks like we're talking earliest nominee rather than age.

ICON. So much that I still have an active WhatsApp group called the Murder She Wrote fan club after a group of us went to see her dance around on stage in Blithe Spirit at the age of 88.

Reactions: GNL
Oh right- but was Lansbury nominated first? Looks like we're talking earliest nominee rather than age.

Yes. Her first nomination was in 1944. Johns was nominated in 1960 and Eva Marie-Saint in 1955.

Natural causes, she wrote :(

153 is a good age; she went from Hollywood star to daytime TV icon and found time along the way to lend her voice to the best Disney song not by a villain or mermaid.

She's one of those people with so many iconic pop cultural moments.

Murder She Wrote, Beauty & The Beast, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Sweeney Todd. What a legacy.

Gaslight really is a great film. I love psychological dramas from that period of Hollywood. The melodrama is off the scale.

Although I suppose the flawless campery of Joan Crawford spitefully accepting Bancroft's award more than made up for it. :D

So very sad at this news - an immense wealth of character used beautifully over her actress roles. RIP.

God, I only just realised that she lost to Patty Duke the same night Bette Davis in Baby Jane lost to Ann Bancroft.

What a horrible night for homosexuals of the 1960s.

Imagine if this happened now! Moopy would literally melt into a pool of tears and blood.

We need to make this thread longer than The Queen's. She was a wonderful wonderful woman and actor.

Watching Bedknobs & Broomsticks and Murder She Wrote at my granny's when I was little (I've mentioned similar memories with the film Birds - she was quite the film buff in retrospect) will always be quite magical and comforting to remember for me. Lansbury had the loveliest of sparkle to her, and even though it will be her loveliest of characters she'll largely be remembered for, she had quite the range too. I think because she played older well before her time, it added to the sense that she would always be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom