Anthony Ainley DEAD?

Sild

New balls please
Could be a rumour according to OG... let's hope so. :(

Yes, he died earlier this month. Obituary in The Independent today.

master4.jpg

Originally posted by Joey
Yes, he died earlier this month. Obituary in The Independent today.
Had you heard this already Joey? They're trying to establish at the moment if it's true or not, as it hasn't been reported anywhere else.

I preferred his Tremas to any of the times he appeared as the Master. Except maybe The Five Doctors/Survival.

Originally posted by Xerox
Had you heard this already Joey? They're trying to establish at the moment if it's true or not, as it hasn't been reported anywhere else.
Oh, not heard this anywhere else.

However, I doubt The Independent would print an obituary if it wasn't true. And he's such a minor and little-known actor outside of Doctor Who that it's plausible that only The Independent would run with it or that it might appear in a couple of other broadsheets in the next couple of days.

However, I doubt The Independent would print an obituary if it wasn't true.
Wouldn't be the first time an obituary had been published in error.

I was never a huge fan of Anthony Ainley. Although he was "my" Master, as he played the role when I started watching the show, he just will never compare to Roger Delgado. He was just much too pantomime to be an effective villain, and some of the plotlines he was given were pretty shit. I think he was good in the Traken/Logopolis/Castrovalva trilogy, but after that his stories weren't THAT good.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Jack
I hardly call this newsworthy.
Well, neither do I really.

Although, on the other hand, he did play the Doctor's arch enemy throughout the eighties and the Master is one of the most famous villains in British television history.

I think if someone printed my obituary and I was still alive and well, I might be a tad annoyed.

I'd be relieved if I read my obituary to discover that it wasn't true.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the betting Sebastian Flyte will post an identical thread sometime this evening...?
What's the betting that the first response to said thread will be SAD WANKER ...?

What's the betting that the first response to said thread will be SAD WANKER ...?

Whats the betting that the first response to above post will be FUCK YOU?

The news of Ainley's death has been posted on the BBC Dr Who website.

Maybe he's gone to live with Lord Lucan somewhere

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthony Ainley was very much a private man who handled his own business affairs, making the story hard to verify. Following an obituary published in today's edition of The Independent newspaper, Doctor Who Magazine checked with their sources and believe the news to be correct.

Anthony Ainley was very much a private man
Which probably explains why he was very rarely interviewed. I think the only DWM interview with him was in the 1982 Winter Special or something, which is a bit of a shame. I think he did do some conventions though.

As much as he never performed as well as Roger Delgado, I think he did a WORTHY job... far better than MANY of the actors in villainous roles over the years...

Oh can a big Who fan fill me in on the proposed details of the new episodes?

Is it true Episode 1 will be on Xmas Day?
And will feature the Autons?

Originally posted by cwej
Oh can a big Who fan fill me in on the proposed details of the new episodes?

Is it true Episode 1 will be on Xmas Day?
And will feature the Autons?
Nothing has been confirmed so far, I think anything you might have heard has been nothing but rumour or speculation. I think it was the Daily Express who reported that the series will launch on Christmas Day - apparently the BBC are quite taken aback by the amount of interest in the new series and are looking for the maximum audience. I don't know that they'll get that on Christmas Day, though, I hope this is just a rumour. A January launch would be MUCH better.

Oooooh....though Christmas Day IS a Saturday this year, so maybe it's not such a bad idea...

Why the HELL does it matter which day of the week Xmas is? Everyone will be off whichever day it is!!

You just want it to be on a Saturday for tradition's sake don't you. :D

Originally posted by cwej
Why the HELL does it matter which day of the week Xmas is? Everyone will be off whichever day it is!!

You just want it to be on a Saturday for tradition's sake don't you. :D
It's already been CONFIRMED that it's going to be shown on Saturdays...what I MEANT was, the fact that Christmas Day is on a Saturday adds some credulity to that rumour...

You said it makes it a BETTER idea in terms of viewing figures... if you re-read your statements!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom