Let's get a little wet...

• Total voters
I came away from it feeling almost exactly the same as I did the first one. I enjoyed the sheer spectacle of it for the time it was on (accepting it's basically the first one set in water), it left little impression on me beyond that and I can't imagine ever sitting down to watch it again.

The whale:

download.png

Well this was decent - I honestly don’t understand why some people went to see this, as there’s nothing they wouldn’t have experienced in the first film. What did people expect? I mean it’s established that they can communicate with animals, so why wouldn’t the whale? There was nothing that didn’t make sense in-universe.

That said, I don’t think of myself as an Avatar stan (despite finding out I gave it a 10, maybe that was out of spite). This gave me basically everything the first movie did, no more, no less.

Looked amazing, and I was right to trust Cameron with his action sequences, those felt more varied than the climax of the last movie.

Was the script full of cliches? Yes. Was the motivation of the baddie justified? At the start maybe, but the big Edie Falco side of it basically disappeared in favour of revenge battles. I don’t really get the take that they’re setting up the baddie (still can’t remember his name) as some central character, there was nothing about him except aggro American army cliches.

I got WHY the subplots about teen bullying and whatever were in there, I just think the whole thing could’ve been wrapped up half an hour earlier with a stronger script.

I agree basically with everything @Phoenix and @Slave said. It was a well-put together piece, there were flaws, not enough to sink the whole thing, and I’ll both watch the sequels and probably not need to watch this one again. It didn’t feel like a middle film, which these days is a minor miracle, especially following the biggest movie of all time (losing to Endgame on penalties notwithstanding)

Also wtf was the point of the marine biologist

Well as a representative of “some people”, I’m more than happy to clarify that I don’t care if it makes sense in-universe, I found the whale moment to be laughable.

And the reason I went to see it is because I had a vague recollection of enjoying the first one, which is of course a different film, and I found this one to be tedious and uninteresting.

I also have a general interest in big event movies so I’ll probably see the next one and I might even hate that too. I’ll be sure to let everyone know!

This has just hit the billion dollar mark, outpacing expectations

That’s a lot of some people

This has just hit the billion dollar mark, outpacing expectations

That’s a lot of some people

What were the expectations?! :o
I mean I know it’s been a while but even doing half of the first movie’s tally would give it an easy billion

Just stop watching it. Unfortunately box office just means a lot of people saw it, not LIKED IT.
it has an A- cinemascore meaning a lot of people LOVED IT! also currently at 8.0 on imdb, which will slip but probably not below 7.5. many well liked films have worse.

it has an A- cinemascore meaning a lot of people LOVED IT! also currently at 8.0 on imdb, which will slip but probably not below 7.5. many well liked films have worse.
True, but people are stupid :basil: Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness has a B+ for heavens sake. How does that work? Is it just some kind of instant post-screening research?

I think people are more likely to enjoy a film they’ve seen with others as part of the experience. There are plenty of films I’ve quite enjoyed at the time but even hours later after thinking about it, came out with far more criticisms. Even CATS.

this had the biggest Wednesday of the year yesterday, has hit $1.1b (338m US), and with three more days of play should hit $1.3b before new year. it's killing.

For the first time since I can remember, there are no new film releases on New Years Day. WHY? I literally have nothing left to see apart from THIS.

It’s a sign.

Brave Ellie faces The Way of Water :disco:

Also apparently the next one will introduce the ash navi

I know this is just the Cwej book of stats and all, but I don’t know a single person that has been to see this. How is it doing so well!?

I know this is just the Cwej book of stats and all, but I don’t know a single person that has been to see this. How is it doing so well!?
I know one, and she enjoyed it, but she also has low standards and mostly only sees big blockbuster films.

this has now overtaken Jurassic World with $1.7bn globally and two billion probably in sight. whatever people think about the film (it still has a great 7.9 on imdb) they've really made this feel like an EVENT film experience in the era of boring blockbuster saturation.

I thought this was pretting corking! The first 45 minutes had me worried as they were really dull, but after that it was wall to wall amazing set pieces, oustanding design, simply incredible effects, monstrous sound and some of the best action in years. Sigourney Navi was great as she was the one I could correctly identify every time, and she also seemed to do more than hiss and get stroppy like all the others. The story was a decent hook for the action and I loved al the nutty whale stuff. I love how Jim C is all brutal action and ridiculous sentimentality at the same time.

The effects though. The effects! Truly mind-blowing stuff. I'm amazed it didn't take twice as long and cost twice as much. Everything looked utterly believable and there were no rubbery CGI villains flailing around poorly (hi Marvel). The interaction between the water, the CGI and the practical elements is just something else.

Excellent to see another film where Mr Cameron throws gallons of water on stunt people clinging on to sets (The Abyss! Titanic!) to see who's still standing at the end of it.

On the downside, the dialogue is rotten, the score is horrible and Spider needed drowning in the first scene - Newt did it better hun! Edie Falco was terrible too.

I also don't really care for the Navi much at all. Maybe the evil Fire ones that are coming up in the next one will be more fun, but they mostly all seem like right old bores so far. They're really weird to look at and not at all endearing. And all the fauna in Pandora having multiple tiny eyes and horny bits is getting old now too.

Ellie's going to go wild for it when she finally watches it on her phone on the top deck of the Number 19 bus!

There is something to be said about it being just this big laborious movie that is not trying to setup 4 future movies and 10 streaming shows and it’s not trying to hit the nostalgia button. It’s just one man’s silly world that he is making at his leisure. I’m happy to go watch the 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom