Beyoncé - act i: RENAISSANCE

no, but really. terrible album. it was quite big at the time due to Single Ladies becoming a phenomenon in the pre-meme days, but it is thoroughly outclassed in Bernice's discography... and she doesn't even have a very good one.

Sweet Dreams is such an awful reductive turd of a song. FLUSH!

IASF was one of only two albums where she was trying to follow the trends of the time, so it was always going to age badly, but it still has some great tunes on it. And I say that as someone who really hates that electro R&B era. TINNY indeed

the other trend chasing album was Lemonade, which drifts far too closely to trap for my liking, but I give her a total free pass on that album because artistically and objectively it’s very good. I think it will be viewed far more favourably in ten years time. I just don’t care for much of it.

Formation, All Night and 6 Inch are among her best though

Can we also finally acknowledge Run The World (Girls) for the iconic bawp it always was? The audacity of releasing that in 2011, when even Nicki Minaj was giving us budget Katy Perry.

Where does Lemonade veer towards trap? Pray You Catch Me, Hold Up, Don't Hurt Yourself, 6 Inch, Daddy Lessons, Love Drought, Forward, Freedom, All Night... desperately searching for trap!

no, but really. terrible album. it was quite big at the time due to Single Ladies becoming a phenomenon in the pre-meme days, but it is thoroughly outclassed in Bernice's discography... and she doesn't even have a very good one.

Farrah Franklin is that you? :eyes:

Anyway, I half agree. I enjoyed it at the time but the likes have 4 and the self-titled tower over it from dizzying heights. "Disappear" is still one of my favorites from her. The uptempos have indeed aged rather poorly.

Well, I've made it to the bottom of page 1 of a Beyoncé thread, so I think that will do. I'm glad Sharla and That One are finally back as a duo (the kind that could appear in a 1989 countdown featuring write-ups Now could only take LSD and dream of) under the alias of a happy belly button. Anyway, I'm so ready for the snare and hope the 199 harmonies of Jealpus are finally levelled up:

I think Bey was as unexpectedly spooked by Michelle having 4 amazing songs as the rest of us and Sweet Dreams was her squashing it, much like Losing You lit a fire under her ass too (I still think there is no way she would have made an album as truly staggering as whatever it was called had it not been for baby sis doing it with so much ease).

I'll do a Bernice top ten:

1. XO
2. Crazy in Love
3. Haunted
4. I Miss You
5. Drunk in Love
6. Formation
7. Disappear
8. Superpower
9. Deja Vu
10. Mine

"Telephone" would probably be top five if I was including that.

1. Check on It
2. Formation
3. I Miss You
4. Schoolin’ Life
5. End of Time
6. Partition
7. 03 Bonnie and Clyde
8. Naughty Girl
9. Drunk In Love
10. Freakum Dress
11. Listen

my bussy hasn't been the same since I remember downloading a LEAKED copy of the B'day album and listening to those first 10 seconds of Get Me Bodied.

Fuck me sideways and Get Me BODIED INDEED. Too bad nobody remembers how Naomi Campbell WALKS.

I'm on my 12th listen now and can't get enough. LADIES on the floor all my ladies on the floor ALL MY LADIES on the floor

01 Rocket
02 Drunk in Love
03 Jealous
04 Ring the Alarm (Freemasons Remix)
05 I Was Here
06 Naughty Girl
07 Irreplacable
08 Crazy in Love
09 Party
10 Freakum Dress / Blow

Last edited:
I need to (do I?) listen to the older albums again for posterity. I used to like watching the Bidet video album :disco:

for ME, PERSONALLY, I haven’t found any of her studio albums mega essential, except for “Beyoncé” which is SO incredible

I'm going to spend all day dipping in and out of her discog today to see if my top 10 needs an update and to rank the ALBUMS with confidence.

already Green Light has displaced Freakum Dress. B'Day was such a playful album. I love that airy percussion n' horns sound.

ain't no PROBLEM, you can GO
I will FIND somebody ELSE

you got the green light so you can GO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom