Blue Jasmine

Blue moon

• Total voters

Jark

User
With Cate Blanchett, Sally Hawkins, Alec Baldwin and Louis CK. Seems to be more a straight drama than a comedy.

I don't want to get too excited because you just never know with Woody but this does look rather good. Potentially a few nominations for Cate if the part is as juicy as the trailer suggests...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how I feel about this.. it looks OK I suppose?

This looks lovely, I'm glad to have Cate back in my life.

RAVE reviews for Cate in this, and a strong 77 on Metacritic so far.

San Francisco Chronicle said:
Blanchett in Blue Jasmine is beyond brilliant, beyond analysis. This is jaw-dropping work, what we go to the movies hoping to see, and we do. Every few years.

Wall Street Journal said:
Cate Blanchett tops anything she's done in the past with her portrait of a fallen woman who's a hoot, a horror, a heartbreaker and a wonder. The mystery of the movie as a whole is that it depicts a bleak world of pervasive rapacity, deceit and self-delusion, yet keeps us rapt with delight.

New York Observer said:
Richly chronicled characters, sharp dialogue and that stupendous centerpiece performance by Cate Blanchett are contributing factors in the best summer movie of 2013 and one of the most memorable Woody Allen movies ever.

Rolling Stone said:
Want to see great acting, from comic to tragic and every electrifying stop in between? See Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine.

The A.V. Club said:
Unlikely as it may seem, though, Blue Jasmine finds Allen charting bona fide new territory.

Arizona Republic said:
It’s Allen’s best film in years, an authentic-feeling deconstruction of a life. It isn’t always easy to watch. It isn’t exactly fun (although parts are funny). Blanchett’s performance sometimes overpowers the story. But it’s an essential work in Allen’s later canon.

The NY Times also calls it Allen's best film since "Match Point", which seems odd considering that film was ultimately a bit hollow and shit, and he's done zestier stuff more recently.

Anyway, MUCH excite!

I liked Match Point, loved Vicky Cristina Barcelona and found Midnight In Paris to be really annoying and overrated. He's totally hit & miss with me but I do like Cate Blanchett so I'll give this a go.

The last film I saw of his was "You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger" which was one of the worst things I've ever witnessed. Pure car crash. I swore off any of his future films, but the trailer makes this one look great, so I'll probably see it.

I don't understand people who go on about how great he is. His films are mostly mediocre with a couple of good ones? I haven't seen any of his CLASSICS besides Hannah and Her Sisters which was fucking boring for the most part and don't really feel a desire to watch any of them.

Midnight In Paris in particular was SO overrated and dull.

I haven't seen that many but I love love LOVE Hannah and Her Sisters :D

Loads of people love it! It went STRAIGHT over my head :D

Isn't he on a Good/Bad/Good/Bad streak? I haven't seen When In Rome but I understand that wasn't all that well received, meaning this should be good :p

I don't understand people who go on about how great he is. His films are mostly mediocre with a couple of good ones? I haven't seen any of his CLASSICS besides Hannah and Her Sisters which was fucking boring for the most part and don't really feel a desire to watch any of them.

Midnight In Paris in particular was SO overrated and dull.

Well if you haven't see any of his classics bar one then obviously you aren't going to get an idea for how he's so loved. But of course his films aren't for everybody, and if you can't stand or can't get any humour from neurotic characters then basically don't even bother!

Have you seen Vicky Cristina Barcelona (aka perhaps my favourite film EVER)?

Well if you haven't see any of his classics bar one then obviously you aren't going to get an idea for how he's so loved. But of course his films aren't for everybody, and if you can't stand or can't get any humour from neurotic characters then basically don't even bother!

Have you seen Vicky Cristina Barcelona (aka perhaps my favourite film EVER)?

I have seen VCB and I think it's a great film, of all the ones i've seen it's easily the best. I have been meaning to watch some of his classics but his style of filmmaking doesn't appeal to me too much so I'll just watch them in my own time.

Of all the directors in the world, I did not expect Woody Allen to be the one that would give Cate Blanchett a meaty, dramatic role. The trailer looks good and there's a fair bit of postcard SF so I'll be watching. Has it got a release date in the UK?

Cannot wait to see this.

Of all the directors in the world, I did not expect Woody Allen to be the one that would give Cate Blanchett a meaty, dramatic role. The trailer looks good and there's a fair bit of postcard SF so I'll be watching. Has it got a release date in the UK?

It will arrive on our fair isle September 27th.

Last edited:
Well I'm thrilled this is turning out to be decent. I love Woody and have learnt to take the rough with the smooth - when he's banging out a film a year, not everything that hits the wall sticks.

On balance though, he is utterly brilliant with highs that are amongst the very best in cinema. Vicky Cristina Barcelona is one of my favourite films of all time too Jark, but to miss out on his 70s purple period like Untitled has done seems like a very unstable basis on which to judge him. Manhattan is my number one film of all time. Yes, ALL TIME.

I'm doing a Woody film project and getting through them all now so I'll have a better judgement.

I absolutely loved this. Film of the year for me so far. Cate Blanchett is phenomenal, a proper masterclass in acting, she dissolves into the role no question. It has its comedic moments, but it's ultimately tragic overall. I cried all the way home :D

Is San Francisco as big a part in it as the location is in much of his work?

It doesn't play that big a role in it I'd say, but it's definitely there.

Great movie. Definitely Blanchett's best performance ever by a mile. Thought the rest of the cast were pretty decent too, especially Sally Hawkins and Bobby Cannavale, but it's obviously Blanchett's movie.

It was a great idea for a story too - and by the end it's incredibly sad (though it bothered me that Woody Allen seemed to play the last scene for laughs with the lady on the bench pulling that silly face before walking off). It almost (but not quite) ruined was a heartbreaking end.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing this.

Sally Hawkins deserves more praise, she's such a brilliant actress.

REALLY? Phenomenal? REALLY?

I thought Blanchett was VERY VERY VERY good and absolutely worthy of Oscar praise, though we'll see when I see the other contenders whether or not I think she should be up for the main gong, but the film itself? It verged on boring for me. I am not an Allen super fan, but I like him in small doses and I adore "Vicky Cristina Barcelona", but this was just MEH for me. I can't quite put my finger on why- yes, the performances were marvellous (even Hawkins who i absolutely DETEST and can't get the awful "Happy Go Lucky" persona out of my mind when I see her GURNING face appear) for the most part, but I didn't have any empathy whatsoever with the hideous Jasmine and found the whole thing left me a little cold.

6/10

You're not meant to have empathy with her!

I had total empathy with her! Or at least some sympathy. Yes she wasn't the nicest person ever - but by the end of the movie she
was a mumbling mental case

And Sally Hawkins is such a good actress, even if you hate her in Happy-Go-Lucky, it's undeniably a superb performance.

I had total empathy with her! Or at least some sympathy. Yes she wasn't the nicest person ever - but by the end of the movie she...
Yes I know (and I felt sorry for her too - I kind of wanted her to end up on top :D) but largely you're supposed to regard her as quite an amoral, if not quite hideous, person, no?

I loved it, thought Blanchett's performance was an absolute tour de force and thought Jasmine's downfall was absolutely horrifying. I felt lots of things for her, including but certainly not limited to, empathy. The fact that I felt so many conflicting emotions towards her is what made it one of the most wonderful films I've seen in years.

I understand you're not necessarily meant to empathise with her, by the way...

Seems I might be the only one who doesn't love it, then, but I do wonder how many are being swayed by a marvellous performance or two (and yes, Cwej, I said Hawkins was great in spite of me hating her...)

And of COURSE we're being swayed by a marvellous performance. :confused: Are you not supposed to be influenced in your feelings about a film based on the acting in it? Without the excellent performances it would have been an 7. With them it was a 9.

Last edited:
I disagree with that- you can have amazing performances in DREADFUL DREADFUL films...

I disagree with that- you can have amazing performances in DREADFUL DREADFUL films...

But it's a complete package right? It's impossible to score a 10 with bad performances and it's impossible to score a 0 with amazing performances, in my opinion. So the performances do count towards the score. If you think the film is average, but the performances are great, it can bring a 6 or 7 movie to an 8 or 9 for me.

It depends how important the acting is to you I guess. But in an 'actors' movie like this one, it really makes a huge difference that the cast did a great job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom