Bob Saget DEAD

Full House was my favorite show as a kid. Weird that he was only 65 though. He felt some much older than he was when I watched Full House as a kid

RIP

Wow, same as Ellie, he really wasn't famous here, but I knew he was something of an American pop culture icon from South Park. :o

His last name rhyming with faggot of course led to regrettable jokes in middle school

Did he have a history of mental illness? Anything? I don't recall him getting tons of headlines due to personal issues of the sort, I thought he was just doing well what with the Full House series and his tours! It's always the quiet ones :( RIP Bob.

I think he had some addiction issues (although that doesn’t mean that’s what got him).

I remember him mostly from America’s Funniest Home Videos and Full House.

I think he had some addiction issues (although that doesn’t mean that’s what got him).

“I had no idea I did a 2 hr set tonight. I’m happily addicted again to this shit.” :o

No but RIP, I also knew his name from Friends, we didn’t really get Full House in the UK, did we? Unless it was on Sky?

Full House was on Sky I think, or Channel 4.

I mainly knew him for How I Met Your Mother and when he was referenced in The Simpsons.

BobSagetOld.jpg

I used to think he was so unintentionally sexy when I was a kid.
RIP

Fuller House was on Netflix recently (but I don’t think it or the original for that matter ever caught on over here).

Oh wow this is rather unexpected considering his age.

Apart from Full House and America’s Funniest Home Videos, I know him from Entourage where he played himself (a more douchey version I guess where it was all about drugs and women).

Again, I only know him because he's referenced in other programmes so it's easy to see why the US is quietly shocked.

both Full House and the home videos programme he did wwere very popular here so I'm mildly agog at this

RIP Olsen twins guardian

Full House was very popular in Spain too, I had a friend with a life-long obsession of travelling to San Francisco so she could take a picture outside the Tanners' home. Reader, she did it.

Although let's be honest if you were to STAN a sitcom house, my favourite would have to be the GOLDEN GIRLS MANSION (Betty White in memoriam) :disco:

No stairs! Four bedrooms with en suites! Skylights everywhere! A revolving door leading to the kitchen for DRAMATIC EXITS! The patio with the sun loungers! They even had a fucking piano! The only thing missing was a swimming pool.

I wonder why Full House worked in some of Europe but not England. Maybe it was too wholesome

Full House was my favourite sitcom as a child. My older brother and I used to fight over whether I could watch it or he got to watch Star Trek (part of the reason why I’ve never trusted aliens)

I even had the Full House board game

49E46C8F-29DE-4A8A-9AFC-02FCBBD7648F.jpeg

I wonder why Full House worked in some of Europe but not England. Maybe it was too wholesome
I expect because it wasn’t dry, for a start. A sitcom like the Golden Girls, which was a hit in the UK right out of the gate, was probably a good reflection of the British sense of humour.

I expect because it wasn’t dry, for a start. A sitcom like the Golden Girls, which was a hit in the UK right out of the gate, was probably a good reflection of the British sense of humour.
That makes sense. One could argue that Full House doesn’t have any humor at all

Golden Girls was more prime time. We did get Who's The Boss, Kate & Allie, Blossom and stuff like that for afternoon viewing. I even remember My Two Dads, but Full House must have missed our schedules. I think it might have been on Sky, but only super rich people had Sky at that time and I don't remember hearing about it. I clearly remember Mad About You being on Sky and very popular.

Yes The Nanny was popular. As were Married With Children and Roseanne. Those plus Frasier and Friends were the big US hitters as far as I recall.

Going back a bit, but i don't think Mary Tyler Moore or Maude ever did much here either. MTM certainly isn't anything like the cultural icon she seems to be in America.

Don’t forget Cheers, 3rd Rock From The Sun, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, The Cosby Show. All huge long runners on UK terrestrial.

I don’t think we ever got The Facts of Life, Growing Pains or Family Matters, did we?

Well all of that supports my theory that the more wholesome American shows don’t do as well

A sitcom like Golden Girls was a HUGE HIT right out of the gate everywhere around the world, it had nothing to do with any PECULIAR SENSIBILITIES of the British sense of humour :eyes:

AMERICAN WHOLESOME CRAP has always been very popular in Britain so Full House not being a hit in the UK is hardly a matter of taste, more likely a matter of what channel/time it was shown in etc. It's basically another version of Growing Pains, The Cosby Show etc.

The Nanny and Married With Children were tremendous hits here to the point that the channels afterwards made local adaptations, but they were intolerable in comparison.

Similarly we seem to be one of the few countries in the world where This Is Us hasn't really done anything.

Although it's harder to tell these days. It's on Disney+ so maybe it streams well. But I don't get the sense that people really talk about it.

I always thought it was interesting that Seinfeld was usually shoved on BBC2 at about 11pm, in a similar slot to stuff like Grace Under Fire - it wasn't until I got a bit older and more online that I started to appreciate just how MASSIVE it had been in the US.

Similarly we seem to be one of the few countries in the world where This Is Us hasn't really done anything.

Although it's harder to tell these days. It's on Disney+ so maybe it streams well. But I don't get the sense that people really talk about it.
I think it’s harder to tell today. Nobody in my life ever talks about This Is Us, but it’s clearly a massive hit here. Things are so fragmented with streaming. It’s the same with music to an extent

I think it’s harder to tell today. Nobody in my life ever talks about This Is Us, but it’s clearly a massive hit here. Things are so fragmented with streaming. It’s the same with music to an extent

Please don't spoil my fantasy about American families animatedly discussing Mandy Moore's Emmy chances over the dinner table on a nightly basis. :(

• Haha
Reactions: RJN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom