Celebrity Big Brother 2024 ITV2 era

Isn’t he here to REHABILITATE his image?!?? Coming out as a TRUMP FAN isn’t gonna help darling.
I don't think given what has come out about him there was much he could REHABILITATE but he is somehow managing to add more hate fuel to the fire.

I appreciate Fern showing true character and class at "This Morning" being brought up and not taking the bait or speculating on the going ons.

God talk about having every opinion of every moron from Twitter

“We want her to come back safe and sound” as opposed to what exactly?

The royal press office must be SHITTING THEMSELVES with him on the show.

The Black Sheep of the Royal Family? Does the uncle think he's Princess Diana or something. All very very odd.

Loving Olivia on L&L :disco:

I didn't think it would be over 3, but that's not bad for ITV1 in the current climate. Big Brother is a bit like the soaps, there's probably not many entirely new viewers, just a fluctuating fan base that go back and forth. Moving it to ITV1 wasn't likely to attract many more new viewers than it already had. A bit like if Love Island moved to the main channel, it would make almost no difference.
ITV certainly wanted a bigger audience on ITV1 than ITV2, or they wouldn't have shunted it - I'm quite certain that they knew they would have the hardcore fanbase (who would watch on ITV2) locked in, and are trying to appeal outside of that to the more typical ITV1 viewer. It didn't work with the last civilian series when they simulcast, so I'm not sure why they are repeating it now. There's no shame in it being an ITV2 show.

Down to 2.1m in the overnights for Tuesday. In terms of percentage share (16.8%), that's nearly 5% below the ITV1 average, and less than half what Breathtaking got in the same slot last week.

Last edited:
ITV certainly wanted a bigger audience on ITV1 than ITV2, or they wouldn't have shunted it - I'm quite certain that they knew they would have the hardcore fanbase (who would watch on ITV2) locked in, and are trying to appeal outside of that to the more typical ITV1 viewer. It didn't work with the last civilian series when they simulcast, so I'm not sure why they are repeating it now. There's no shame in it being an ITV2 show.

Down to 2.1m in the overnights for Tuesday. In terms of percentage share (16.8%), that's nearly 5% below the ITV1 average, and less than half what Breathtaking got in the same slot last week.

Oh yeah I'm sure they wanted more, I just dont know where those other viewers were supposed to come from. They're there already on ITV2 and Big Brother is unlikely to be attracting brand new viewers in 2024. Definitely agree it should have stayed on ITV2.

I still think they'll probably be aiming for the different demographics over raw numbers, and maybe they see it as a way to drive more people to ITVX or whatever it's called now, but presumably that would have happened had it remained on ITV2 anyway.

Also aren't we a bit beyond the benefit of shows being "promoted" to a bigger channel these days. The main channels are capable of rating so low now, it's not like years ago when a popular BBC2 sitcom would get upgraded to BBC1. I know it can still happen and have its uses but it feels increasingly redundant

Oh yeah I'm sure they wanted more, I just dont know where those other viewers were supposed to come from. They're there already on ITV2 and Big Brother is unlikely to be attracting brand new viewers in 2024. Definitely agree it should have stayed on ITV2.

I still think they'll probably be aiming for the different demographics over raw numbers, and maybe they see it as a way to drive more people to ITVX or whatever it's called now, but presumably that would have happened had it remained on ITV2 anyway.

Also aren't we a bit beyond the benefit of shows being "promoted" to a bigger channel these days. The main channels are capable of rating so low now, it's not like years ago when a popular BBC2 sitcom would get upgraded to BBC1. I know it can still happen and have its uses but it feels increasingly redundant
The issue of demographic is the concern, I'd say - ITV2 serves them very well already, so unless moving it to ITV1 attracts a new audience, what's the point? Wiping out a month of primetime main channel and devoting it to the show feels like it's being set up to fail, unless it brings in bigger numbers.

Regarding being beyond the benefit of shows being 'promoted', you'd like to think we were, but I really don't think we are. There's a reason Dragons' Den is pulling in amongst the highest viewing figures of 21 years now. It wouldn't be getting the same on BBC2.

And look at EastEnders, which lost 25% of its audience last year, the week it was 'demoted' to BBC2. That I find really crazy - and then even more so that those viewers didn't then seek it out on iPlayer.

And look at EastEnders, which lost 25% of its audience last year, the week it was 'demoted' to BBC2. That I find really crazy - and then even more so that those viewers didn't then seek it out on iPlayer.

I didn't know this - how utterly bonkers in this day and age.

Will be interesting to see how the ratings are tonight going head-to-head up against "The Apprentice".

I didn't know this - how utterly bonkers in this day and age.

You’re forgetting how big a tv watching demographic are older people. My Mum would never think of going to iPlayer to watch anything and if something is on a minor channel, it’s definitely “less” visible to her.

But one thing lolly’s point missed is that for the likes of Eastenders to be shunted to BBC2 in the first place, there had to be something big on another channel sucking its audience anyway, it’s not just a direct swap.

You’re forgetting how big a tv watching demographic are older people. My Mum would never think of going to iPlayer to watch anything and if something is on a minor channel, it’s definitely “less” visible to her.

Mine is the same. And she still prefers to build things up on her recordable Freeview box rather than watch it on iPlayer.

I even set her up with the latest Apple TV+ box at Christmas, and when she forgot to set Call The Midwife to record, I showed her the literal voice command to “Play Call The Midwife”, where it loaded up iPlayer instantly. She said that was too complicated.

:MerylPerplexed:

But one thing lolly’s point missed is that for the likes of Eastenders to be shunted to BBC2 in the first place, there had to be something big on another channel sucking its audience anyway, it’s not just a direct swap.
It was Wimbledon, which charted higher than EastEnders for one of the evenings they were in direct competition.

There's no way of knowing, but I bet had they left EastEnders on BBC1 and put Wimbledon on BBC2, EastEnders would have lost less than it did. Although I'm equally certain that Wimbledon would still have got more viewers than BBC2 would have got for what they usually broadcast in its place so yes, it's not a direct swap.

But as I said, the thing I find most bizarre is that that best part of a million viewers simply chose to just not bother watching EastEnders that week, rather than catch up with it. And that's not an anti-EastEnders thing - I'd be surprised if it didn't happen for Coronation Street or Emmerdale; probably even more so considering that EastEnders is relatively more successful on catch up than them both, and I suspect that EastEnders skews younger. You see it to a lesser extent frequently in the figures when one or more episodes of the soaps is shunted even half an hour or an hour earlier or later on the same channel; invariably that episode will be the one of the week with fewest viewers.

My mum is most likely the same as yours, although with recent signs of improvement, in terms of beginning to think of using iPlayer. But I think it's easy to underestimate the number of people who still use linear TV, and essentially just plonk themselves down on an evening and watch whatever is on. And most of them are probably far more inclined to stick with the main channels. My mum would only ever venture into the higher number freeview channels once she's satisfied that BBC, ITV and to a lesser extent Channel 4 have nothing to offer her.

Mine is the same. And she still prefers to build things up on her recordable Freeview box rather than watch it on iPlayer.

I even set her up with the latest Apple TV+ box at Christmas, and when she forgot to set Call The Midwife to record, I showed her the literal voice command to “Play Call The Midwife”, where it loaded up iPlayer instantly. She said that was too complicated.

:MerylPerplexed:
I showed my mum how you can turn a programme on halfway into it, and simply just restart it. May as well have been trying to explain nuclear fission.

My Mum understood Netflix enough for The Crown but her capabilities, whilst mentally she is fine, have gone downhill in the last year or so that she now finds that really difficult.

As an aside, she used to text me every morning to say “hello”, basically that she wasn’t dead…and now most days I get at least four accidental text messages of nonsense and a couple of “send location” alerts, before I actually get “good morning” out of her.

My favourite recent one was a three text session which were:

Poop
No bb
Yes, good moening

Which kinda works… :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom