Choose one more single from Neon Nights

New in at #19, it's Dannii Minogue and...

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Obviously a tragically underrated album and a campaign that was cut short at 3 singles (4 if you count Who Do You Love Now?)

It's doubtful anything on there would've been massive, but what would you have pushed out to try to give it a few more weeks in the top 75?

Much as I love all the :disco: tracks, I do think the planned single mix of It Won't Work Out probably had the most potential to at least be a modest success and might have shown a different side to the album (albiet a fraudulent one as it's a complete anomaly :D).

lower, deeper, damn it's getting hot
harder, faster, don't you ever stop

:disco:

CREEP.

Or Push, Mighty Fine or Mystified probs.

Come and Get It had it been ready to properly go in the single version used in Germany would’ve been a perfect follow up to I Begin To Wonder even though Don’t Wanna Lose This Feeling was still a top 5 single. Creep is potentially a hit too. The others are really good album tracks though some casuals who I know loved Mystified so maybe that too.

Last edited:
I actually don't think it should have been Creep, despite it being the best track on the album. Come & Get it is the obvious choice, but not considering it wasn't on the album proper, which leads me to It Won't Work Out but the mooted single version would not have worked and I don't think the album version is right for it either, which maybe means For The Record, which is the most obvious "summer" record, presuming it would have come out around August/ September time.

THIS IS REALLY DIFFICULT.

Torn between For The Record and It Wont Work Out. Went for the latter because I think although it would have reached #19 I think it would have shown some diversity for the album and encouraged a few more sales. A black and white video with Danny (sp?) reading newspapers crying would have done the TRICK

Reactions: VoR
It’s kind of nice the era finished with all four singles having been top 10 (3 of them top 5) and that the album also spent a couple of weeks in the top 10. It is quite tidy.

I always thought It Won't Work Out was the natural last single.

I pictured her on a yacht in Ibiza in the evening - a much more chilled style Perfection video but with Romantic elements and good evening lighting

This is REALLY HARD because the whole album could have been a single.

It Won’t Work Out - I’m not sure this would have been a hit, as a DANIEL BEDINGFIELD-esque ballad isn’t exactly what I think the public were frothing for from Dannii. However it would have been a gamble that could have paid off.

Push - This would have done nothing for album sales, but would have been a super-credible single and probably would have helped shift opinion of Dannii somewhat. Probably would have been a comfortable top 10 hit (for 1 week only).

Mystified - Very catchy, but a bit cheesy. Would have probably done a week in the top 20 then out.

Creep - Again, would have helped position Dannii as being quite cool, but not sure if it’s too subtle to be a fourth single. This song deserved more HOWEVER.

I think the actual answer is this version of Come And Get It which isn’t on any version of Neon Nights (:D) -

Why are there so many versions of CAMGI, why was it completely wasted and why was this not lined up to be a single (in this version!). I think this would have been an easy top 5 hit.

Can we do this for Girl too pls :D

I would say It Won't Work Out too, the single mix is really good.

CAN you imagine Vibe On as a single though? I can only imagine the video! :D

I’ve just realised that the original version of It Won’t Work Out has been ERASED FROM HISTORY by not being on Spotify :D (see also: the original version of Don’t Wanna Lose This Feeling)

Had it been a single, I think it should have been a version somewhat between this version and the Unleashed version. The Unleashed version would have been way too EMO for radio (did Dannii get radio play anyway :D )

Come & Get It - bait for The Gays, the masses and The Dick. Her pussy was on fire here.

If this song truly was off the cards (although she could have done a re-release I suppose), then I've got more to say to the girl who does my nails. By the time the video shoot for a German release was cancelled (what was the other option she took instead, was it TV or were we firmly in AATW territory by now?) I do think the campaign was well over. Anyway, I wouldn't have squeezed the lime on my coconuts for anything less than the septic brilliance of Come and Get It (my only disappointment about that track is that she didn't actually hiss "come and get it you filth" as I always thought she did).

They may have tried their luck with another bootleg - For the Record is the strongest pop melody. I see where Wurst is coming from, but Dannii was not going to shift public opinion with any of the more compelling album tracks.

Am I losing it, or did she actually record a video for Come and Get It wearing a silver dress someone from Vanilla would have worn on a night out in Ibiza? I am getting flashbacks to fuzzy pictures of her on a beach.. I may have to message the biggest Dannoushka loon I know to get the D-finitive answer.

HEY! So What [The Remixes]

Would be my choice. And I think it would have been new at #29 for what it's worth..

Creep is an 11/10 moment but I agree with @Sheena - I don't think it's single material. Not unless it was remixed or something.

This album is just...such a ride. "Put The Needle On It" feels like a really risky launch single in hindsight however, there was every chance this could have bombed and THAT would be THAT. I don't think I would ever have picked it if she had the rest of Neon Nights up her sleeve at that point (can't remember if she did).

"Creep" seems like the obvious single - it's position on the album and the sheer strength of it feels like it was always meant to be and they MUST have considered it.

"Vibe On" is one of the strongest songs if you ignore the fact it's about dildo shafting.

I think the chunky disco fun of "On The Loop" would have been a mesmerizing choice, I find it far more effective than "For The Record" though that too is a delight.

But who knows if anything would have been a hit, so for that reason I'd go for "It Won't Work Out" because it's gorgeous and frankly WHY NOT

I listened to this album the other day for the sole purpose of coming up with an answer for this thread and I genuinely concluded that NONE OF THEM.

Amazing album in the context of Dannii's career and essential for a coming of age gay in the early noughties, but can't find another hit on there.

Hey (So What) if pushed for an answer but I think they were right to leave it where they did.

Creep is great but I think you can’t have both it and Put The Needle On It as singles. The ones they chose had all different sounds reflecting the styles on the album. If you’re going to have a similar sounding track then you mimic the biggest hit I Begin To Wonder which is of course Come And Get It.

Mystified, you're such a dirty guy... :disco:

I haven't listened to this album for a good 2 or 3 years but can still sing the entire chorus in my head - a bop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom