Did we know they're re-making "Sunset Boulevard"?

VoR

Take it or leave it
Glenn Close is to play Norma Desmond. No other casting confirmed yet.

Oh and IMDB have it down as a MUSICAL. :confused:

Erm, yes, Glenn Close was in the Andrew Lloyd Webber production on Broadway. Had you never heard of the stage show?

Last edited:
Can't be any worse than *gag* The Producers

I can't be expected to have heard of EVERY LITTLE THING that plays on broadway for a few weeks/months/years.

Well the point is its going to be a film now. TALK ABOUT THAT. :evil:

No thank you. I'm waiting for you to say something else stupid.

2 year West End run, 2 year Broadway run, 2 year LA run, Dinah Carroll having a hit with the big song - "The Perfect Year".

VoR, where have you BEEN?

It's actually not all that good... the show stuck VERY closely to the film rather than using it as its foundation and doing something different. Can't say I'm looking forward to this one.

Christian said:
2 year West End run, 2 year Broadway run, 2 year LA run, Dinah Carroll having a hit with the big song - "The Perfect Year".

VoR, where have you BEEN?

It's actually not all that good... the show stuck VERY closely to the film rather than using it as its foundation and doing something different. Can't say I'm looking forward to this one.

I don't like Dina Carrol. Well, i'm pretty indifferent. I only really know "Don't Be A Stranger" and i'm not all that fond.

Ellie said:

Good. To be honest, I didn't like 'Rent' all that much when I saw it, but it wasn't a good production.

I saw Idina Menzel in 'Wicked' on Broadway, and then discovered after she was married to Taye Diggs. I'm sort of hoping she may reprise her role in 'Wicked' when it opens here in September, but it's probably unlikely.

Ugh, Rent.

Talk about a show in DIRE need of further development but held up as some kind of work of genius because the author died on the opening night :evil:

lolly said:
Good. To be honest, I didn't like 'Rent' all that much when I saw it, but it wasn't a good production.

I saw Idina Menzel in 'Wicked' on Broadway, and then discovered after she was married to Taye Diggs. I'm sort of hoping she may reprise her role in 'Wicked' when it opens here in September, but it's probably unlikely.
Agreed on Rent - I doubt it was the fault of the production, the show is just fundementally flawed.

Pretty much no chance of getting Idina over here for "Wicked" - the producer said at the press conference last week that they were going to cast the show locally and that the only star would be the person taking on the Joel Grey part.

Idina'd be really expensive anyway and not really big enough a name over here to justify that. This show's going to cost a BOMB to put on anyway without the added expense of her. Shame though :(

I sort of hope the Madam Morrible part might have a name attached to it. It was Carole Shelley when I saw it, so fingers crossed. Goodness knows we have enough actresses of a certain age who could do it.

I REALLY enjoyed it when I saw it; quite possibly the best thing I've seen on stage, musical or otherwise. Then again I'm a rubbish gay who loves 'The Wizard Of Oz', but it really is a lot darker than that. I read a review of the book that describes it as 'Alice In Wonderland meets The Hobbit' and that is a pretty good description.

It's a shame Idina won't be doing it. I've got the soundtrack and her version of 'Defying Gravity' is wonderful. I can't imagine anyone else doing it, a 'name' actress or not. I think she won the Tony for best actress in a musical.

Last edited:
In fact, I'm going to dig out the soundtrack. I'll bung 'Defying Gravity' in gmail in case anyone fancies it.

VoR said:
I don't like Dina Carrol. Well, i'm pretty indifferent. I only really know "Don't Be A Stranger" and i'm not all that fond.

Good LORD you're SHIT.

Yeah, she got the Tony although the show itself didn't win - I think Avenue Q got that, which by the way is also coming to London this year.

I thought the show was fantastic. It's going into the Apollo Victoria which is one of the biggest theatres so hopefully they'll go to town with it and just bring over the Broadway version wholesale. Don't see why they shouldn't. 'Defying Gravity' is just SENSATIONAL :D

Apparently it's a risky show to do for the lead actresses - worse than Starlight Express. Plenty of broken bones, twisted ankles, injuries with all the movement, trap doors, special effects, etc. etc.

lolly said:
In fact, I'm going to dig out the soundtrack. I'll bung 'Defying Gravity' in gmail in case anyone fancies it.
That final note is BONKERS :D

It's needs the FULL BROADWAY BELT treatment. I say give it to Ruthie Henshall. I saw her in "The Woman In White" last week and she was absolutely fantastic.

Christian said:
I thought the show was fantastic. It's going into the Apollo Victoria which is one of the biggest theatres so hopefully they'll go to town with it and just bring over the Broadway version wholesale. Don't see why they shouldn't. 'Defying Gravity' is just SENSATIONAL :D

Apparently it's a risky show to do for the lead actresses - worse than Starlight Express. Plenty of broken bones, twisted ankles, injuries with all the movement, trap doors, special effects, etc. etc.

Perhaps I was just blown away by the experience; it was my first time in NYC and the first show I saw on Broadway, but I just found it totally enchanting. The set was magnificent and the whole thing was just perfect.

I've been to the Apollo Victoria before (for 'Bombay Dreams', I'm pretty sure it was there), and it's certainly big enough audience side of the stage. Hopefully they can accommodate everything backstage and won't need to compromise the production.

Frozen said:
OT: lolly have you heard about this ?

No I hadn't! :o

It hasn't been updated since April last year though, I hope it's still happening. I'll see if see has any fansites with up to date info.

Something might happen now though as her role on "The West Wing" will be ending soon.

Can't seem to find anything, but neither of the sites I looked at had any news on upcoming projects, so fingers crossed.

It appears she may be something of a God Botherer though, which is slightly worrying.

Well let's face it, she's almost certain to get a Golden Globe nomination :D

Does lolly have any more Idina stuff?

Me likes Idina muchly but all I have is the Rent soundtrack.

I've only got the 'Wicked' soundtrack, but she is on almost every track :D

Of course it's all very show tunes, but then she is on all but about 4 or 5 of the 19 tracks. Do you want me to gmail them?

Christian said:
Ugh, Rent.

Talk about a show in DIRE need of further development but held up as some kind of work of genius because the author died on the opening night :evil:

I totally agree. It is so incredibly dated now. This show became obsolete when the Aids combination drugs became available and they didn't update the story to reflect this.

I did sleep with a dancer from the Dublin show however.

lolly said:
I've only got the 'Wicked' soundtrack, but she is on almost every track :D

Of course it's all very show tunes, but then she is on all but about 4 or 5 of the 19 tracks. Do you want me to gmail them?

oooh.. Maybe not all of them, but gmail a couple of your favourites please. :D Tank you!

Commotion said:
I totally agree. It is so incredibly dated now. This show became obsolete when the Aids combination drugs became available and they didn't update the story to reflect this.

I did sleep with a dancer from the Dublin show however.

It may be but I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie (and the show itself if I ever visit NYC).

My friend plays a very good Angel in the Brazil version of the show I'm told. I'm waiting to see the DVD of it before I get insanely jealous of his talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom