Dionne Warwick - Heartbreaker

"This world may end, not you and I..."

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
God I love this song. It's so CLASSY. We'll skip over the fact that she was probably stoned out of her gourd while recording it. :rusty:

Last edited:
I like it but as far as Bee Gees & female vocals go, it's no match for

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: LTZ
I love both the songs in here. I'm not sure I even KNOW 'What Kind Of Fool' - who is it?

It's the other BABS 'n' BARRY duet from Guilty that isn't the title track.

Get your boyfriend to sort you out with the whole album, it's 9 tracks of sheer heaven. The Bee Gees wrote all the songs and did the production over the course of a fair old number of months, then Babs came in, laid down the vocals on the first or second take for every song and was done in about 4 hours tops :D

You'd never know to listen to it - it's bloody fantastic.

It's a complete no brainer. Their songwriting was ridiculously good during the 80s, wasn't it? Or at least through until and including 'You Win Again'. After that I'm not sure what they did do.

Some of the tracks they did for Diana Ross were pure GUFF, Oh Teacher for instance

Oh I'm only talking the hits, really. But WHAT HITS :disco:

Just looking at everyhit, and it appears they didn't have a Top 40 single between 1980 and 1987. I assume they were just writing for others then.

It's a complete no brainer. Their songwriting was ridiculously good during the 80s, wasn't it? Or at least through until and including 'You Win Again'. After that I'm not sure what they did do.
I really do adore "For Whom The Bell Tolls" too which was early 90s I think. The odd looking twin that didn't have the beard really has a very emotive voice and Barry let him have the lead vocal on the chorus for this one and it works gloriously.

I presume the lack of hits in the period lolly mentioned was due to the disco backlash in the early 80s?

I love the story in Babs' biography on the making of Guilty where the mean old bitch wouldn't pay to have all three work on the album and just worked with Barry :D

Last edited:
The Heartbreaker album is the latest to get the BBR re-issue treatment, though with rather scant bonus material.

51Jc9zj64XL._SS500_.jpg

1. Heartbreaker
2. It Makes No Difference
3. Yours
4. Take The Short Way Home
5. Misunderstood
6. All The Love In The World
7. I Can t See Anything (But You)
8. Just One More Night
9. You Are My Love
10. Our Day Will Come
11. Take The Short Way Home (Single Version)
12. Heartbreaker (Single Version)

Dionne Warwick is a legendary American vocalist, she s also Whitney Houston s cousin. Throughout her career she s released over fifty albums, won five Grammy s and been nominated for a further seven as well as getting over thirty top 40 R&B hits. HEARTBREAKER was released in 1982 by Arista. The majority of the tracks are penned by Barry Gibb plus the late Maurice Gibb and Robin Gibb. This peaked at #13 in the R&B chart, #25 Pop and #3 in the UK. It was her most successful album since the sixties. HEARTBREAKER was a massive hit in the US gaining Dionne the #1 spot in the Adult Contemporary chart as well as Pop #10, and R&B #14 and # 2 in the UK. Barry Gibb appears as a backing vocalist on this recording and the song was covered by the Bee Gees in 2001. TAKE THE SHORT WAY HOME reached #5 in the Adult Contemporary chart, as well as Pop #41 and R&B #43 ALL THE LOVE IN THE WORLD was the third single from HEARTBREAKER. It gained Dionne the #16 position in the Adult Contemporary and # 6 in the UK. YOURS was released as a single in the UK and reached #66 in the charts. Released in deluxe Super Jewel cases, with two bonus tracks, HEARTBREAKER is a must for all Soul and Disco fans out there!

God I love hearing this loop round daily on the playlist at work. One of the BEST SONGS OF ALL TIME, surely?

Literally one of the best songs in the history of songs.

God I adore this croaky old stoner.

”SUDDENLY EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED
HAS PASSED ME BY
THIS WORLD MAY END
NOT YOU AND I... :(

This is as good a place as ANY to say JUST HOW GREAT Bob Stanley's book about the BEE GEES is. Not only does it make you want to listen to all those early-70s Bee Gees albums that you've never heard of, but he's just got to this and says its DESERVES A BOOK OF ITS OWN. You're NOT WRONG THERE BOB.

He also manages to slag off both GO WEST and IT BITES while talking about 1981's HE'S A LIAR. The man's got SUCH EXQUISITE TASTE

A truly underrated vocalist. Heartbreaker's romance, reserve and resolve is not her A material, but a lesser talent would need their A game to match it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom