Doctor Who - 2023 and beyond (THE CHURCH ON RUBY ROAD, Christmas Day 5:55pm on BBC1!)

It's still unconfirmed, but episode two of the next series is called "The Devil's Chord" and she had a definite 'music'-themed outfit in her promo pics so people are thinking it's probably that one. As for when the series will air, we don't know yet but I'm expecting it in early Spring, maybe around Easter.

I'd bet QUITE A LOT OF MONEY on it being Easter Saturday, in the spirit of RTD taking everything back to how it was in his first era, before things gradually went to shit.

Reactions: COB
I'd also bet QUITE A LOT OF MONEY on RTD's "friend Jack who's in a West End" show being a hot muscle twink who's half his age

I've woken up... excited for an episode of Doctor Who?! The last time that happened Matt Smith was still the Doctor

I'd honestly feared this day would never come again. RTD is a MIRACLE MAKER

Last edited:
  • Care
He's coming...

bff6c0a9ace0d6e352016eba5f34e0a556e4518c.gif

Donna versus the STOOKY BABBIES and the Spice Up Your Live routine were so fabulous.

I mean I liked a lot of it, but I'm so unsatisfied with the key moment.

At least give us something to work with Russell rather than "oh it's always been a myth"

Mr Jiva is having fan boy rage over here but I quite enjoyed watching Ncuti in his pants.

I mean I liked a lot of it, but I'm so unsatisfied with the key moment.

At least give us something to work with Russell rather than "oh it's always been a myth"
It's funny because there was a leak about this a while ago, and I thought it sounded terrible. Then there was ANOTHER leak earlier this week, which sounded more palatable - basically the same, but Ncuti's Doctor was pulled back from the unspecified future moment where David dies and turns into him (so there are two Doctors but the changeover WILL happen, we just don't see it on screen). Now it's turned out the first leak was correct, but seeing it on screen I thought it worked better than I was expecting... I suppose part of it is not wanting to have a Doctor that's only alive for less than a week of real time :D They have definitely opened themselves up for the less savoury elements of the fandom to claim Ncuti as somehow illegitimate, but they were probably gonna do that anyway :tongueout:

I'd read both leaks one after the other, and was absolutely fine with the second. What actually happened really isn't sitting well with me.

Which is a shame because I'm OBSESSED with Ncuti already

Love that he IS using his real accent, it was hard to tell from the previous clips.

So stupid. They are so CBBC-ishly adverse to having a character die that they can’t even kill a doctor anymore.

They even mocked the audience by pointing out that they semi-killed three companions in a row.

Thankfully Adric got a mention. But I wouldn’t put it passed them going back in time and re-writing history to only semi-kill him too.

I hope whatever the David Tennant doctor is called is never seen on screen for a long time, and the Gatwa doctor thrives on his own.

It is funny that BOTH David Tennant incarnations got some kind of an 'out' :D

Having Tennant's Doctor and Donna with their own TARDIS just sitting around to use once they get bored with "normal life" doesn't bother me in principle. But I can imagine Disney piling on the pressure to have a spin-off show starring them in some sort of parallel universe of adventures.

At the very least, my immediate reaction is that I wish there'd been some "rules" placed on the timelines of the two Doctors or how much they could interact because surely the response to any situation placing Ncuti's Doctor in mortal peril will now just be 'why doesn't he call the other one'?

Christmas trailer:

(Love that they've already got Ncuti in the "don't forget to subscribe" thing, too :disco:)

Gatwa is looking to be a lovely Doctor. Warm, caring, cheerful...

I was irked by the bi-generation thing, but IF it's true I like Reddit's take on it: that 14 lives out his life resting on Earth with Donna and family (and maybe that second TARDIS doesn't even work? Forcing him to take a much needed break) and then when he dies he gets "timey wimey"d back to Unit's rooftop and becomes 15. It explains why 15 seemed so unsurprised by the turn of events, why he said along the lines of "I'm fine because YOU healed" and "it's therapy the wrong way round", and gives 15 a chance to start afresh as a new, healed, cheerful Doctor for the soft reboot without any baggage. If so I actually see it as a positive.

Could be that this bi-generation only happens when a timelord is pushed to such a level of internal torment that a second version of themselves needs to split off in a time shifted way and recover.

It's also said that all the precious incarnations retroactively bi-generated though which is weird and I'd rather not think about that.

Also someone pointed out comments made by the Toymaker that he played with the Master and made a jigsaw of the Doctor's history might possibly be interpreted as a possible Timeless Child undo.... in which case I forgive everything

Yeah, I think that the 'closed loop' version of the bigeneration still works, even if it doesn't spell it out on screen (and you're absolutely right that the dialogue does imply that Gatwa is from later than Tennant and remembers taking a break).

The thing about previous Doctors also bigenerating is from the commentary, and (despite how this tweeter describes it) it seems to just be RTD spitballing and having a bit of fun thinking about it:

I suppose it's a fun way of justifying stuff like Tales of the TARDIS, Big Finish stories and any other supplementary material.

Had I posted 15 hours ago I'd have been WTF WAS THAT SHIT, PISS OFF WITH YOUR 'BI-GENERATION', but having processed it and watched the commentary I'm pretty happy with it.

The only element I don't like and think is a misstep is the two TARDISeses thing - as I think that does undermine the new Doctor, and even the concept of the show a bit, knowing that the last one didn't actually die and is still there in present day London able to do everything exactly as before. They deffs could have made more about him retiring from being 'The Doctor' to live out his days, and this being a way for the character to heal from all the trauma to allow The (Ncuti) Doctor to go on.

The rest I REALLY liked, even if The Toymaker ended up being quite throwaway and easy to defeat.

I've seen some speculation that the leaks - particularly the additional details in the second leak - were from someone who'd read the novelisation of this episode (published in early January I think), so that might clarify a few things once it's out. I'm going to pretend that Tennant's TARDIS immediately develops some fault that takes it out of action, because having them both active at the same time does feel a bit weird.

Mad Auntie Mel to bigenerate into CARMEL KAZEMI for a Dimensions In Time sequel please 💃

Also guys I'm so sad that Trinity Wells has gone full far-right :(

• Care

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom