Eurovision 2020: CANCELLED!

What should the EBU do?

• Total voters

Samuel

User
The odds of this being cancelled/held without an audience must be pretty high at this point? Of course, things may settle down between now and then, but I feel like they’d have to make the decision fairly soon. A number of global events taking place past May have already been pulled.

I rather suspect sans audience or fed by satellite in from each nation may be the best we'll get. Although the latter brings up a few issues.

I rather suspect sans audience or fed by satellite in from each nation may be the best we'll get. Although the latter brings up a few issues.
I hadn't thought of the satellite option.

Without audience in some form seems most likely, possibly with some countries withdrawing. It'll be weird but if they plan ahead they can do something with the enormous arena, some sort of spread out lights maybe, to at least create an extra impact without just looking desolate.

I’d be very surprised if the Dutch government allowed it to go ahead.

The problem you have if each country broadcasts from their own studio is the difference in equipment/production quality. You only have to watch some of the National Finals to see how LOW RENT things can get. At least in an arena everybody’s on a level playing field.

I think they would be better to postpone it to November time and do it when JESC is on, and rest JESC for a year. This would give breathing space to see how Corona Virus develops and lets them come up with a back up plan.

Of course there are downsides to this - availability of both arena and artists, and it doesn’t give much time for the 2020 winner to prepare, especially if it’s a first time winner.

I’m not convinced the satellite option works as there’s way too much chance of things going wrong - with 41 countries chances are something would fail at some point, whether that be the satellite link, audio, etc.. Plus countries like Sweden and Russia would have a massive advantage over ones like Moldova and San Marino with their facilities And how can they ensure rules are followed ie. no backing singers on tape and so forth?

No audience seems the best option but even that has its flaws - some of the artists might not even be allowed to leave their country, if restrictions are put in place! However we’ve had EBU officials saying the audience is pertinent.

It’s a massive headache and I don’t envy the EBU and I can see why they want to go business as usual for now but I think the decision is probably going to be taken out of their hands eventually. Sweden has just banned all public gatherings over 500, other countries have limits of 1000. Its only a matter of time before the Dutch government bring in something similar.

So what would happen to this year’s selected songs if it all got cancelled?

They’ve said that they’ll chuck the cruddy ones back in the relevant nations’ faces and tell them to start again :disco:

I would assume whatever happens the songs selected will compete in some form - whether without an audience, via satellite or later in the year. I can't see the Contest not happening at all.

I think it’s almost certainly NOT happening in its intended format but I am so here for amusingly unreliable satellite links live from donkey sheds, illegal backing singers and MIMING :disco:

I was excited about the chances of a first-time winner :(

The death toll will hit new heights with all the gay hearts that are about to break

Maybe they could push to November, and have 2021 later in the Summer, with the aim of course correcting back to May by 2022?

It seems the most sensible option really. Although entirely dependent on the Dutch being able to make all the moving parts involved in a six month pushback work.

I want Malta to insist on including the stunning MALTASONG visual and heart-stirring melody at the beginning of their satellite link-up - as below; any excuse :disco: - and the performance to be ruined by STAMPEDING BULLS :disco:

Or at least rerun all the national finals again with a view to making the CORRECT CHOICES this time around.

Now that would keep our post count up until they inevitably postpone till November. VoR to re-run every national final please.

Let's have a rollover and we can send 2 shit songs next year.

If not, I would love it if they flew Olga De Souza in for the interval act.

Maybe they could push to November, and have 2021 later in the Summer, with the aim of course correcting back to May by 2022?

It seems the most sensible option really. Although entirely dependent on the Dutch being able to make all the moving parts involved in a six month pushback work.

I said the exact same thing above.

I said the exact same thing above.

I know, I was expanding on your suggestion with some thoughts on how they could right the ship in 2021 and 2022 with minimal additional pressure on the broadcasters. Sorry, should have quoted you to make it clearer.

Junior Eurovision 2019 was better than the adult contest we have this year, so I am not in favour of skipping JESC 2020 :evil:

But then as someone with tickets who would be affected, I don’t want the contest to go ahead audience-less :tongueout: I say push ahead as though nothing is going on, let individuals make their own choices regarding whether they still want to go and take the risk because I would rather die than not be able to witness the contest as normal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom