Eurovision 2024: Malmö Arena

I understand the move but don't like the weighting of there being six first half, six second half, and 13 producers' choice - surely 1/3 each or even less for Christer would have achieved the same effect?

I wished they would say that there are strict guidelines from the EBU on what should be and should not be taken into account (or better still publish the guidelines), and/or stress that independent people from the EBU will be part of the process of signing off the running order.
I completely agree with this too. Would be fantastic to know if anyone's ever pushed back on a running order (apart from an individual delegation) and forced a change to what the producers have wanted to do.

I’m fairly sure the size/influence of the country/broadcaster plays into it somewhat, e.g. Germany very rarely getting early draws vs Czechia getting put 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 14th (earliest possible second half draw) every single time they qualified, even when they were expected to do well, plus Albania seems to endlessly be put 2nd or 3rd

I understand the move but don't like the weighting of there being six first half, six second half, and 13 producers' choice - surely 1/3 each or even less for Christer would have achieved the same effect?
Exactly this.

It feels incredibly harsh that we'll end up with only six countries (plus Sweden) that are guaranteed not to be able to get a decent draw. And then the producers get to play god with the majority of the rest too. It somehow achieves the feat of giving us the worst features of both randomness and man-made.

It would be quite funny if Switzerland, Croatia, Italy, Ukraine and Netherlands all drew first half anyway.

I hadn’t even spotted it wasn’t a third/a third/a third.

How thilly.

Nowhere else to share this, but I crowbarred a Eurovision round into my pub quiz this week (believe it or not, I'm generally quite restrained!)

For each question I played three winning entries from the same country and asked a room full of civilians to guess the country they represented. Here are the results, for anyone interested in totally meaningless stats.

11. Take Me To Your Heaven, Heroes, Euphoria

Answers
22 Sweden
2 Estonia
2 Ireland
1 Finland
1 Hungary
1 Latvia
1 Norway
1 Ukraine

12. Wild Dances, 1944, Stefania

Answers
17 Ukraine
5 Israel
5 Turkey
1 Albania
1 Azerbaijan
1 Czechia
1 Greece

13. Hold Me Now, In Your Eyes, Rock 'n' Roll Kids

Answers
17 Ireland
2 Belgium
2 Greece
2 Sweden
2 Switzerland
2 United Kingdom
1 France
1 Germany
1 Netherlands
1 Spain

14. Een Beetje, Ding-a-Dong, Arcade

Answers
16 Netherlands
4 Iceland
3 Germany
3 France
1 Denmark
1 Israel
1 Luxembourg
1 Portugal

15. Dansevise, Fly On The Wings of Love, Only Teardrops

Answers

5 Denmark
2 Austria
2 Netherlands
2 Norway
2 Spain
2 Switzerland
2 Ukraine
1 Albania
1 Azerbaijan
1 Belgium
1 Cyprus
1 Czechia
1 Finland
1 France
1 Germany
1 Iceland
1 Ireland
1 Italy
1 Portugal
1 Spain
1 Turkey

Out of 31 teams, three scored 5/5 and will obviously be receiving special favour from now on.

Well we're definitely driving up in our campervan for this now which, despite everything, I'm quite excited for. Not aiming to buy any late tickets if they even exist as we're driving around Europe for 2 months and frankly that will bankrupt us enough, but we're looking forward to being in a host city for the first time ever, whatever that will entail. I mean, it's a 45 minute walk to the city centre which I'm sure will be JUST FINE after the final :)

However, I did love the (months later) odd confirmation email from the campsite:

"Hello!
Great, it’s so funny to know that you’re gonna share the Eurovision week with us!"

It's SO FUNNY! I dread to think what they're cooking up

Mr RoM and I on the Swedish campsite next month:

Torture Crying GIF by A24

They had massive budget cuts at SVT, hence why Eurovision is also scaled down.
Well they should give it to somebody with money to burn instead, like Sarah Bonnici’s father.

A higher quality stage video :disco:

I'm still so curious to see how those cubes end up getting used in the performance.

Are the Big 5 and Sweden not in the rehearsal schedule for next week?

Last edited:
Helena Paparizou, Soraya, Aysel (of "Always" fame), Sopho Khalvashi, Jamala and Desirée Nosbusch all confirmed as spokespeople for the final :disco:

In other news, it looks like Slovakia's EBU station might be dismantled and cease to exist altogether under their new government :(

I wonder who we’ll get as the UK spokesperson. Ncuti Gatwa maybe? The new series of Doctor Who starts the same evening. Or maybe Alison Hammond, she has her own chat show starting on the BBC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom