Five Star: Luxury Of Life

SWEAR I'm gonna FIND you, SNEAKIN' up BEHIND you...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sheena

ROMANCE
Amazed we don't have a thread for this, but THERE YOU GO.

The debut Five Star album I still maintain is a) one of the best R&B albums of the 80s and b) really fucking good. It's so overlooked- mainly because of the poppy stuff that came after and gave them a very different reputation. It's also often forgotten how big they were on the US R&B charts at this point and weren't seen as a "pop" act in America at all.

The first six tracks are absolute solid gold, though it tapers off towards the end. I still think Let Me Be The One is one of my favourite songs of all time.

10 Love Takes Over
10 All Fall Down
11 Let Me Be The One
10 System Addict
10 Hide and Seek
10 RSVP
07 Now I'm In Control
07 Say Goodbye
09 Crazy
08 Winning

And here's a nice photo of the album on my balcony this morning, which is what inspired this thread...

Went to put this on now, inspired by this thread. By GOD, considering how big they were, their streams are absolutely pitiful. Less than 100,000 a month!

It was their best album I guess thanks to a PATINA of COOL supplied by working by the likes of NICK MARTINELLI but really that's NOT SAYING MUCH

Went to put this on now, inspired by this thread. By GOD, considering how big they were, their streams are absolutely pitiful. Less than 100,000 a month!

Entirely forgotten. Their legacy is as a schmaltzy pop act with naff costumes.

Ridiculous when you consider some of the stuff they did.

I must admit I struggled to get into any of their later stuff that didn't chart, but their singles run from 1985-1988 is entirely faultless.

Let Me Be The One is such a cool, mature performance for a teen band.

Say Goodbye is a drippy low point but as it was written by Lorraine quite savvy to bung on from a royalties perspective,just like the self created instrumental bsides on hit singles they were so keen on.

I’m not familiar with this album at all. I know the (hit) singles obviously.

Didn’t the second album have like 6 singles? that album I have listened to, it’s like a GH set

I’m not familiar with this album at all. I know the (hit) singles obviously.

Didn’t the second album have like 6 singles? that album I have listened to, it’s like a GH set

This one has 7 singles!

I even thought about tagging you in this this morning. It’s right up your street- far funkier and soul based than the second album.

I can only name 2 singles on this album but once I listen I’m sure I’ll recognise more. The second album is way more familiar to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom