High Score (Netflix Video Game Documentary)

Sheena

ROMANCE
Just a recommendation really. Anyone watched this? The first two episodes are obviously styled based on the Stranger Things aesthetic and I’ve found both really interesting and well done. Just so you know.

Just a recommendation really. Anyone watched this? The first two episodes are obviously styled based on the Stranger Things aesthetic and I’ve found both really interesting and well done. Just so you know.

actually @straightorbroken and I were nattering about it in the gaming forum too, as it happens I’ve literally just finished episode 4.

Feels like the same team from The Toys/Films That Made Us, maybe just the narrator? But it’s well researched, I’ve learned something new each time.

I thought the aesthetic was a bit of a default choice but the 8-bit animated dramatisations of events have been fun.

episode 3 about RPGs was a bit of a wet fart, but Ep 4 about Sega vs Nintendo was great

crap title though

Oh sorry, I missed the other conversation...

Oh and it’s a totally different production company and narrator :D

Oh I’ve been enjoying this too! Now where are the gaymers? :disco:

Oh sorry, I missed the other conversation...

Oh and it’s a totally different production company and narrator :D

Ha! :D actually maybe he just sounds like one of the podcasters I’ve been listening to lately

Well if you liked this, you might like those. They are a bit more unhinged and the movie one is only a mini series at the moment (but the Home Alone one was sweet)

Oh I’ve been enjoying this too! Now where are the gaymers? :disco:

In here or the show?

Surprised how much they’ve added the LGBT element in there too, maybe every episode I‘ve watched? I suppose not just that but a lot of not-just-white-guys aspects

As a born-again gaymer this sounds like a MUST-WATCH. Looking forward to finding out what's gone on in my wilderness of 2006-present.

I did see it on Netflix but didn't really fancy it for some reason. Watched one about essential oils instead. :disco:

I’m not a gaymer AT ALL these days. Used to love my NES though when I was a kid. I was tempted by one of those “all in” boxes you can get- Wish seem to have one with 620 games for £12. Is that a stupid idea?

It has been mostly sticking to the old days, but it has been broadly moving chronologically, Ep 5 seems to be about Mortal Kombat and so on, so I guess we are firmly into 16-bit and beyond

I’m not a gaymer AT ALL these days. Used to love my NES though when I was a kid. I was tempted by one of those “all in” boxes you can get- Wish seem to have one with 620 games for £12. Is that a stupid idea?
Yes! I think your # of games figure and price is slightly off... but it's worth it. I have the sega one.

EDIT: I see what you mean now actually! I was thinking of this official one.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well yes, not the official one- I don’t see the point for that few games when you can get the knock off that cheap! I am well tempted. Has anyone indulged?

maybe just the narrator?

The narrator is MARIO! (/Charles Martinet).

I watched the first two episodes (first thing I ever watch on a BORROWED Netflix account) but it's heavily skewed towards "personal stories" rather than a history of gaming which I guess is what I was hoping for. Apparently they had material for 20 episodes but they had to cut it down to 6 and it kinda shows.

The NES episode was a bit scrambley and devotes a good chunk of it to the Nintendo World Championships which is utterly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things and kind of sidelines the importance of the NES and the Game Boy (there's barely a mention of it!) in resurrecting a market in crisis.

Surprised how much they’ve added the LGBT element in there too, maybe every episode I‘ve watched? I suppose not just that but a lot of not-just-white-guys aspects

It's made by two French women :disco:

They also had a transgender person in the first episode and they highlighted the unsung contribution of the black electrical engineer who created the first multi-cartridge console, so top marks on that regard.

The transgender thing was kinda incidental though...she was world Space Invaders champion as a kid!

I've not watched yet, but I'm hoping to start it this week. One thing I've heard is that it's (understandably) very US/Japan focused, which makes sense but apparently it completely skips over the UK having its own computer games industry in the Eighties that was entirely untouched by the big crash in the US? There are plenty of other documentaries about that though, I suppose.

I've not watched yet, but I'm hoping to start it this week. One thing I've heard is that it's (understandably) very US/Japan focused, which makes sense but apparently it completely skips over the UK having its own computer games industry in the Eighties that was entirely untouched by the big crash in the US? There are plenty of other documentaries about that though, I suppose.

Are there? DO TELL!

I also really want a full length version of the theme tune. It’s properly :disco:

I watched the first two episodes (first thing I ever watch on a BORROWED Netflix account) but it's heavily skewed towards "personal stories" rather than a history of gaming which I guess is what I was hoping for

Yeah maybe that’s why I liked it though, the personal stories are what you don’t get much in the endless YouTube docs. But yes the TWO (so far) tournament champion stories are a bit redundant, but again different to just some talking heads as a perspective of being a kid at that time.

I’ve probably said this before but Nintendo gays should really check out Jeremy Parish’s Nintendo Works videos on YouTube, I really like them. Just focuses on the games one at a time, without being either an annoying YouTuber ‘personality’ or doing a humourless doc. He’s like the gamer version of Roman Mars

I love Jeremy Parish! I also recommend strafefox who does really insightful 'making of' videos of many 8 and 16-bit classics.

ooh thanks! Maybe that will be enough to stop youtube bugging me to watch more 30 Rock clips. I’d love a comprehensive Jeremy-style go through of all the Sega stuff. I was a Sega kid

Episode 5 was lovely, a lot of Japanese so that’s probably why. And ANOTHER competition winner :D but at least it was a lead-in to another topic.

that businessman would get it :horny:

I thought the final couple of episodes were the weakest, but still fun overall. Thoroughly enjoyed it really.

Onto lev.. episode 5 (:eyes:)

I can't help but feel that it's too sweeping and doesn't really get into the very things the episodes are supposed to be about. However, I do like the people portraits they've woven in, especially when those adult geeks are very much still child geeks at heart.

Surely a 2nd series is a given. I'm guessing this is stopping at 3D on the 16-bit systems if I'm reading Star Fox/Wing in the synopsis.

Calling Night Trap child abuse and trash :D

I did laugh at the idea of parents "pulling the plug". My own mum used to cut the plug off our TVs, but never the consoles thank god. She'd wire them back of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom