Holly Valance - Kiss Kiss

"You don't have to act like a star..."

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Obviously Holly's spectacularly unsuccessful second album is a gay interest only classic, but how does her oddly-forgotten breakout hit hold up today?

Last edited:
A fine example of everything that started to go wrong with pop music around this time.

I find this fascinating in many ways, because it's a rare example of an English-speaking pop star with a fair bit of money behind her being promoted with an unabashed Europop song.

I can't remember the last time I heard this in public. It feels like it was very 'of the moment'.

A fine example of everything that started to go wrong with pop music around this time.

Howso? I'm surprised you don't like this, with the possible exception of tAtU I struggle to think of a more Europopy #1 of the era that wasn't an outright novelty in the DJ Otzi vein.

I mean the complete lack of talent and the reek of cynicism could be said to take the shine off a fair bit, but I just think of her as the Samantha Fox of her day really.

I give this an 8, but the even more forgotten 'Down Boy' is an UTTER 10/10 for me. So minimal it barely EXISTS.

Last edited:
Down Boy is absolutely amazing. Kiss Kiss arrived by the time Europe had had enough of Tarkan's Simarik.

But what do you mean by calling it Europop? It's Middle eastern pop.

Howso? I'm surprised you don't like this, with the possible exception of tAtU I struggle to think of a more Europopy #1 of the era that wasn't an outright novelty in the DJ Otzi vein.

I mean the complete lack of talent and the reek of cynicism could be said to take the shine off a fair bit, but I just think of her as the Samantha Fox of her day really.

I thought she was absolutely woeful until she unleashed State Of Mind. Down Boy is so basic too.

Kiss Kiss is just music for spastics. I mean, I like Scooch, so it's not like that would mean I wouldn't like it, but I just don't really like Middle Eastern music in the first place.

Down Boy is absolutely amazing. Kiss Kiss arrived by the time Europe had had enough of Tarkan's Simarik.

But what do you mean by calling it Europop? It's Middle eastern pop.

Same diff to us racist Brits though. Anything not Anglophile tends to get written off as silly foreigner music.

Also part of Turkey is technically in Europe.

I think I overestimated my 9 for this. This doesn't sound as good as it did back in the day :(

I can remember pre-Internet watching the video intently when it came on the musical channels to see if you could see her twat. It was much better when it first came out (the song, not her vagina).

I am listening to this right now. I hadn't heard it for YEARS. I'm really enjoying it!

Obvs Desire is where it's at.

I give this an 8, but the even more forgotten 'Down Boy' is an UTTER 10/10 for me. So minimal it barely EXISTS.

Down Boy remains GRAND and a staple chez DC even fourteen years later.

Last edited by a moderator:
09 Kiss Kiss
10 Down Boy
08 Naughty Boy
10 State Of Mind

A discography Victoria Beckham would be proud of

I was always fond of the Almighty Remix of Down Boy.

Now Naughty Girl is SHIT.

There's also the version of this by the faintly post-op looking (and sounding) Stella Soleil which was a minor US hit around the same time.

Her second single was a version of Tina Cousins/Lene Nystrom non-classic Pretty Young Thing, so she clearly made something of a career out of fishing for Europop dregs.

Last edited:
Apparently this was a cover of a Stella Soleil track.

I was just Wiki'ing this. It appears this was a cover of a cover by someone called Stella Soleill.

She was a witch who lived in the same forest as Lulu and Stevie Nicks.

"Down Boy" is SMUT

The first album is largely ultra-bland shit aside from the singles, however. I'm listening to "EVERYTHING I HATE" right now and it's marvelous as ever. :disco:

Last edited:
7/10

Good at the time and suited her vocals and lack of range. Never was too keen on the song though.

In terms of Holly Valance, I LOVED Naughty Girl. Reminds me of a certain time of my life and I love the melody on it.

It's alright, innit, but none of her shit has aged that well.

State of Mind was the tits for years but I don't mind if I never hear it again.

I did like this song, and I bought State of Mind on single, thinking it was going to launch her into the stratosphere.

And also because you got Part 1 of that (never to be completed) 2004 calendar.

So minimal it barely EXISTS.

:D 'Down Boy' is GRAND.

I have all the time in the world for a song that doesn't even try to cover the vocal limitations of its singer, instead opting to just turn her into electro distortion at some points.

I think 'Kiss Kiss' is very much "of its time" and basically the meeting of a novelty track that needed someone to front it, and someone with minimal discernible singing ability looking to front a song.

I can kind of see why RB might not be keen, because it essentially sounds like the product of a record label brainstorm session. It's really nowhere near as "fun" as it should sound for the type of track it is and although Holly Valance was HARDLY destined to have a long-term music career, it launched her into a total dead-end. Her debut album is essentially a variation on the theme of titillation and suggestiveness from start to finish and totally built around her looks and market appeal. How we ever got 'State Of Mind' is a total mystery.

The slut anthem Whoop and slut with feelings anthem Naughty Girl are much better. What a legacy though - Desire is up there with the greats.

Oh, I do LOVE 'Naughty Girl'.

It was never going to be a massive hit though, given that its main strength was that it was actually quite a GOOD song as opposed to her crawling about in the video semi-naked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom