Iguana discovers BLONDIE

Iguana

If I only could...
Any interest in me tracking my journey into Blondie? I've been listening to the first couple of albums for the first time and am already SHOOK. I only got into them at the No Exit stage and only know the singles before that point, and even those singles I don't know well other than the really famous ones!

Any insight and comments about which songs are fan favourites along the way would be MUCH appreciated. If there's any interest I'll start this next week!

Anyway. Back ON topic, ‘(I'm always touched by your) Presence, Dear’ has always been a personal early favourite of mine.

Count me IN!

blondie-saturday.gif

Bit weird, I stuck their "This is..." on last night and realised there's a lot I dont know. They have a lot of outtakes/alternative versions don't they? Noticeably more than other bands. Can't decide if that's little mementos for their fans to really get to know them, or just not great quality control.

When you're in the mood for SHAMELESS GAY PUFF check out D. Harry's solo 80s album :disco:

Bit weird, I stuck their "This is..." on last night and realised there's a lot I dont know. They have a lot of outtakes/alternative versions don't they? Noticeably more than other bands. Can't decide if that's little mementos for their fans to really get to know them, or just not great quality control.

When you're in the mood for SHAMELESS GAY PUFF check out D. Harry's solo 80s album :disco:
Oh in that case we were both listening to Blondie in different rooms without realising it :D

I don’t think there was THAT many out there, particularly before the recent box set. In the blurb for that they even say how Blondie never really had many leftovers.

As I said elsewhere, I actually took delivery of said vinyl boxset yesterday. Which is absolutely glorious. All the material is on Spotify and mops up everything you need.

And so yes, currently in such a Blondie mood that I’d very much welcome someone else’s (new) perspective.

Blondie were my first love thanks to my older brothers’ obsession. There is a photo of me aged about 3, headphones on, listening to and holding the cover of Parallel Lines. I also remember being about 5 and already having a ridiculous crush on the beautiful Jimmy Destri. They remain one of my favourite acts today.

The glory years of their first wave are absolute brilliance, flashes of which return during their latter years.

Album rank:

1. Parallel Lines
2. Eat to the Beat
3. Plastic Letters
4. Autoamerican
5. Blondie
6. No Exit
7. The Hunter
8. Panic of Girls
9. Pollinator
10.The Curse of Blondie
11.Ghosts of Download

As well as the box set Sheena mentions, they also did a Taylor Swift and re-recorded their big hits a few years ago because they didn't own much of anything from their back cat, so they were making fuck all from their copious use in films and adverts.

As well as the box set Sheena mentions, they also did a Taylor Swift and re-recorded their big hits a few years ago because they didn't own much of anything from their back cat, so they were making fuck all from their copious use in films and adverts.
Oh yes, good point- I’d blocked that nonsense out entirely!

I meant Def, Dumb and Blonde. I'll need to give the others a listen!
It’s probably my least favourite of her 80s output. Check out Koo Koo, which is the most Blondie (which makes sense as the band was still active at that point) and which I love.

Rockbird also has some great moments on it too.

I meant Def, Dumb and Blonde. I'll need to give the others a listen!
It’s probably my least favourite of her 80s output. Check out Koo Koo, which is the most Blondie (which makes sense as the band was still active at that point) and which I love.

Rockbird also has some great moments on it too.

I was thinking just the other day that I need to explore the FULL BLONDIE OEUVRE

Post Parallel Lines, I was able to dive a bit deeper with this collection

I think I own all the albums up to and including No Exit. Parallel Lines aside (which is wall to wall excellence) the albums aren't bad, but didn't change my life.

I don’t think there was THAT many out there, particularly before the recent box set. In the blurb for that they even say how Blondie never really had many leftovers.

As I said elsewhere, I actually took delivery of said vinyl boxset yesterday. Which is absolutely glorious. All the material is on Spotify and mops up everything you need.

And so yes, currently in such a Blondie mood that I’d very much welcome someone else’s (new) perspective.

Blondie were my first love thanks to my older brothers’ obsession. There is a photo of me aged about 3, headphones on, listening to and holding the cover of Parallel Lines. I also remember being about 5 and already having a ridiculous crush on the beautiful Jimmy Destri. They remain one of my favourite acts today.

The glory years of their first wave are absolute brilliance, flashes of which return during their latter years.

Album rank:

1. Parallel Lines
2. Eat to the Beat
3. Plastic Letters
4. Autoamerican
5. Blondie
6. No Exit
7. The Hunter
8. Panic of Girls
9. Pollinator
10.The Curse of Blondie
11.Ghosts of Download
Interesting list though for me ‘The Curse Of Blondie’ is the worst of their post peak/comeback years and the most recent three were all stronger than No Exit too (to my ears).

Maybe I’ll discover them along with you :disco: I really only know the hits

The Curse of Blondie is one of my favourites! I’ve never understood why it’s so hated. I’m not a fan of No Exit personally.

Parallel Lines, Eat to the Beat and Autoamerican are the best run of albums from any act, ever, as far as I’m concerned. There’s plenty to love on the others too (well aside from Ghosts of Download and Curse to a lesser extent).

The Curse of Blondie is one of my favourites! I’ve never understood why it’s so hated. I’m not a fan of No Exit personally.
I do like “End to End”, “Undone”, and “Good Boys” but aside from that it does nothing for me. No Exit, on the other hand, is very strong almost all the way through. It’s a shame it’s nowhere to be found on Spotify, or even available to buy anywhere. Hopefully they give it some re-release treatment on the 25th anni. I think the original record label that released it folded.

IMPROMPTU TOP 10

1. Angels On The Balcony
2. Rules For Living
3. Dreaming
4. The Tingler
5. Danceway
6. Suzy & Jeffrey
7. Denis
8. China Shoes
9. In The Flesh
10. X-Offender

Users who are viewing this thread