Interesting/ annoying things about the UK

I'm SORRY, can we stop calling people badly educated on the basis of how they speak English? :D

Ever heard of dialect?

Exactly! There are so many things wrong with all this!

I’ll tell you one thing for free though, in my experience there are some people who really try to speak English as technically correctly as possible, and it’s not the native speakers!

(It’s not the Japanese either though)

I'm SORRY, can we stop calling people badly educated on the basis of how they speak English? :D

Ever heard of dialect?
It’s less spoken and more written, e.g. native speakers using “should of” instead of “should’ve/should have”. That’s not dialect, it’s just incorrect. Non-native speakers get an instant pass.

I remember learning "should have" instead of "should of" - but it was when my science teacher corrected me :basil: I don't know what that says about my education!

I think some people deliberately use incorrect grammar to give more PERSONALITY!

Not here of course, they're either perfect or under-educated :eyes:
I have Grammarly on so that I get some sort of flag if my sentences are too incomprehensible, and it's extremely tiring on this.
Almost everything ending in -our gets highlighted as an error.

I think some people deliberately use incorrect grammar to give more PERSONALITY!

Not here of course, they're either perfect or under-educated :eyes:
I just go for typos to try to have a semblance of personlaity

One thing I do hate is artists deliberately not using capital letters in song/album titles. WOW YOU’RE SO EDGY.

Seriously, I never use uppercase lettering in music. I hate it. It just looks wrong.

I know language evolves, but I’ve recently heard that the common misuse of “literally” has actually changed the meaning to be acceptable to use to emphasise a statement :(

This is very true

Some of the YOOTS I work with will say 'Literallllllly' - after any question or statement to emphasise their agreement/get you to shut up :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom