Is The Royle Family the best sitcom?

Inner Smile

Moopy Diamond
Genius writing, genius actors and so many true to life moments. Strictly 90s/early 00s though (And Queen of Sheba episode) It went wrong when they started messing about with it after that

Sue Johnston is a class act in this and Brookside

It’s definitely up there. Caroline Aherne is absolutely iconic, what a loss.

One of my fave episodes is the Sunday lunch one with Nana and Twiggy. Every line is absolute gold

And I loved lines like "This is too much for me Barbara! Oh this gravy looks watery Barbara, I usually put cornflour in mine" It's such a classic thing ya nan would say

Definitely right up there for me. 10/10

It would be up there with Fawlty Towers, Keeping Up Appearances, Original Birds of a Feather and Gavin&Stacey for me

It's absolutely up there for me. The writing is sublime, and it's so beautifully observed.

And that's before we get started on The Queen Of Sheba, which is perhaps my favourite episode of any TV show ever.
Queen of Sheba is actual art. I watched it again recently and every scene is perfection. Sue Johnstone is an absolute POWERHOUSE from start to finish.

I think my favourite quote could be :)

"Betty buried her husband on Wednesday. I don't mean to speak ill of the dead but he were a tight bugger that Kenneth by all accounts. Do you know he used to follow her round Kwik Save taking everything out of her basket as quick as she put it in! He'd never let her have jaffa cakes, only rich tea........ I bet she'll have jaffa cakes now!" :D

Liz Smith's expressions were everything :D

The beauty of this show is in how real it is. I might buy olive oil by post but my heart and values are proudly rooted in the working class. I might watch some on the train home. (In 1st)

The beauty of this show is in how real it is. I might buy olive oil by post but my heart and values are proudly rooted in the working class. I might watch some on the train home. (In 1st)
Definitely. It also speaks so well to what it means to be northern and the every day idiosyncrasies of life (‘Dinnerladies’ achieves something very similar).

Is it particularly northern humour? Certainly I don't feel excluded by it - to me it's a class thing rather than a northern/southern thing. Other than the accents, there's nothing I see in it that I didn't recognise from my own upbringing and family, from language to characters to observations.

I remember reading a while ago (it may be a Victoria Wood thing) that northern humour tends to look inwards, whereas southern humour looks outwards. So perhaps it's approach as much as anything else.

I remember reading a while ago (it may be a Victoria Wood thing) that northern humour tends to look inwards, whereas southern humour looks outwards. So perhaps it's approach as much as anything else.

I don’t get that? What would looking inwards and outwards mean? :confused:

I don’t get that? What would looking inwards and outwards mean? :confused:
I guess humour drawing from your own life and observations (and in Aherne's case, she grew up on a huge council estate, and I believe Craig Cash had a similar upbringing), rather than looking at the world outside you.

I guess humour drawing from your own life and observations (and in Aherne's case, she grew up on a huge council estate, and I believe Craig Cash had a similar upbringing), rather than looking at the world around you.

Thinking of all the main characters from The Royle Family I would assume they all came from
humble beginnings which is probably why they all played their individual parts so fantastically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom