Jessie Ware - Pearls

billboard in London. mother said fine, I'll give.

8CCD10C1-5D3C-4C36-BD8D-7B6BE6CFD999.jpeg

fuck me at that verse. it really does sound like a lost disco classic :o

Thatā€™s giving me early 80s Donna Summer.

This is a woman who elevates ANYTHING she touches on account of that voice. Her tone and delivery is just perfection.

I really love the disco glide of the verses. the hooks are great. but the production feels a bit... muddy. and noisy. at least on my earphones. it should be more slinky and clean.

Right, don't throw things at me moopy.

I love it. :)

But I also it's a bit... I'm going to give the gays everything they want. It's so on the nose. It's great she recognises that we all loved WYP? but I think I'd rather she went back and gave us another Devotion rather than another (and possibly watered down) WYP? The richer, cool, glittery WYP? ones were always my preference (The Kill, Save A Kiss, RMYA) as opposed to the Kiss of Life's and the Ooh La La's...

Will wait for the album before JUDGING however. I'm sure I'll love it, I just don't want the schtick to get stale.

I do agree that she doesnā€™t need to serve full on camp to win the gays at this point. Her entire brand already did the job in a classic subtle way. But it doesnā€™t feel forced to me, anyone who has followed her or seen her live knows sheā€™s a gay man in a womanā€™s body already. Itā€™s like sheā€™s in her coming out phase.

I just hope the music doesnā€™t get lost in Stuart Priceā€™s 26 layers of synth. Itā€™s the opposite direction of what we expect from her. The opening songs have been dancefloor bangers so I have a degree of acceptance with it.. as long as the album also has a number of stripped back sultry gemsā€¦

But I also it's a bit... I'm going to give the gays everything they want. It's so on the nose. It's great she recognises that we all loved WYP? but I think I'd rather she went back and gave us another Devotion rather than another (and possibly watered down) WYP?
this is my worry for the whole era. it all sounds like one too many gays joined the mix and decided to go ALL OUT CAMP. WYP? was camp in a way that didn't feel forced.

This is an OTT reaction based on one song.
Two songs, plus some songs from the repacked WYP - examples of which are in my post.

I also said this:

Will wait for the album before JUDGING however. I'm sure I'll love it, I just don't want the schtick to get stale.

So, not OTT at all. Just some thoughts I put down on a forum.

I did think the other song that was released from the album was a terrible ruckus. I just have never been able to get into her despite trying with every album, nothing sticks.

Some people up in arms over on the PJ forums, describing it as lacking in innovation and "inauthentic'. Wtf?

Why pigeonhole her? Why not let her make the fucking music she wants to make instead of what you expect of her.

Jessie strikes me as the least cynical of ALL pop vocalists.

Thatā€™s fine, but I agree with the consensus that this is comfortably her worst single since the Ed Sheeran one.

I don't like this suggestion that she has been on a steady decline since the deluxe edition of What's Your Pleasure. For a start, Please was monumental and up there with the best of the tracks on the original album.

It seems to me that some people don't appreciate what Jessie brings to a track irrespective of the producer. Whereas I had little time for most of Stuart Price's tracks on Aphrodite, I have properly loved Free Yourself and Pearls, largely because of what she brings to these songs.

I have no problem with her serving up all album full of SYNTH LADEN hot disco bangers, OBVIOUSLY. It's all about the VOICE anyway.

She's a personality QUEEN, with HOT VOX and by sheer chance has an abundance of great songs

LEAVE JESSIE ALONE!

PIGS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom