Jesy QUITS Little Mix

The "rather than focusing on making other people happy" bit stood out to me as a little pointed as well

Any ones in particular pet? :side-eye:

Last edited:
Poor woman, that video made me genuinely worry for her. I honestly hope she's ok and the past decade in showbiz hasn't destroyed her inside.

My alternate reading is that she just couldn't be fucked with Jade sounding like a CBBC presenter :D

I‘m a bit upset about this which is weird because I‘ve paid them no attention for ages. Here are my HOPES AND DREAMS FOR MISS JESY, for whom I’ve always had a soft spot and she did look as miserable as fuck in that video so GOOD FOR HER

1. She has a nice rest.
2. She trains as a psychotherapist.
3. She DOESN‘T release any solo rubbish UNLESS it‘s a cover of Nico‘s ‘The Marble Index’ feat. mandolin and broken, wheezy accordion. We already have one Geri and she’s very much surplus to requirements.

FIN

I hate it when one of them leaves because it's all so predictable now that one member of a girl/boyband walks away before the end, but mental health is too important and 9 years is a great run.

The remaining members don't usually survive much longer than a couple of years, but I hope they give it another shot as a trio.

Dunno if I'm reading too much into it but Jesy's statement wasn't particularly warm towards the girls - it was very formal. Their success was always built on their authenticity of being tight and loyal to one another, I hope it hasn't led to any kind of falling out and Jesy coming out with an exposé and book deal etc, it would really dampen their legacy and be, again, very predictable

I hope she doesn't launch a solo career. That would be even worse for her and would negate all the things she's just said about why she's leaving and it makes a bit of a mockery of mental health. But hey, this is the pop industry.

I mean she’s been doing the same job for the last 9 years, she can leave if she wants.

It’s funny, cause when you put it like that you sort of are able to completely understand. I guess many people don’t see it as being a “job” in quite the same way.

I hope she doesn't launch a solo career. That would be even worse for her and would negate all the things she's just said about why she's leaving and it makes a bit of a mockery of mental health. But hey, this is the pop industry.

I dont agree with this at all. It doesn't negate it at all when you read what she actually said.

Her statement isn’t particularly warm but she’s clearly in a bit of a dark space and has had to watch her band mates carry on across quite a few high profile gigs as a trio essentially getting on with it without her (absolutely not criticising them for doing so) and despite it being her decision/necessity to step back that must still be pretty difficult and could’ve bred some resentment.

WHO KNOWS

But I think across those 9 years they’ve always came across as genuinely supportive and loving of each other and that’s not an easy mask to maintain over those timescales if it’s all fake.

Even if it is difficult for her now (and how could it not be?), it doesn't mean it wasn't very real for the majority of their timespan. Things change. People are allowed to grow.

I’m surprised people are saying her statement isn’t warm! It sounds very grateful, particularly to the girls!

the pressures of being in a girl group is the only big specific thing she cites, I took that as being judged and viewed as a girl group member, not actually working with the girls (mainly because of the last paragraph)

I thought it was a good thing tbh, and she just doesn’t want to be in a girlband, certainly not a mockery of mental health if she wants to go solo.

I mean if she does and if it’s basically a solo little mix sound with the same look, then I’d ask questions, but we have no sign of any of that

I wonder how much COVID delayed all this happening. Didn’t they previously say that Confetti was essentially finished before it hit? And then there was that TURD of a TV show as well which was also delayed by it. If she'd been sitting around waiting to pick her right moment to leave, that must have been really hard - and she must have faced pressure from management/the others (or at least felt it, being part of a group) to leave at the 'right' time.

I can’t think of many girl bands that have gone 9 years without a member leaving/being replaced.

I never followed them much recently but Jesy always seemed to be the most real. She used to always get told off in promo rounds. I remember her being pissed at some awards show while the rest of them were looking NERVOUS.

I did enjoy watching Jesy sing “Black Magic” through GRITTED TEETH too

Reactions: dUb
She’s unfollowed one of the group’s managers... and people have pointed out how excited she seemed in the run-up to Confetti’s release. I think there’s more to this than meets the EYE

I never followed them much recently but Jesy always seemed to be the most real. She used to always get told off in promo rounds.
I saw the last tour (FOR FREE) and I noticed at the time that she was the one who seemed to have a spark to her. When she spoke it was fun and off-the-cuff and ‘real’ whereas the other three did the whole “Dublin make some noise” routine

She’s unfollowed one of the group’s managers... and people have pointed out how excited she seemed in the run-up to Confetti’s release. I think there’s more to this than meets the EYE

this is really very good material for us :eyes:

I saw the last tour (FOR FREE) and I noticed at the time that she was the one who seemed to have a spark to her. When she spoke it was fun and off-the-cuff and ‘real’ whereas the other three did the whole “Dublin make some noise” routine
The other three have no personality, although Jade has a nice niche in being a fag hag (sorry I mean LGBT ally). But Jesy's styling has been awful. The Essex trashbag jumped out. Those fillers. That fake bake. No, baby, no.

1. Jade
2. Jesy
3. Leigh Anne
4. Perry

01. Move
02. Touch
03. Love Me Like You
04. WORD UP! (This really was GREAT I thought)
05. Power
06. Break Up Song
07. Sweet Melody
08. Wasabi
09. The Cure
10. Hair

NOT BAD.

Article in The Guardian today

Jesy Nelson: abuse has cruelly silenced one of pop's few unfiltered voices
Michael Cragg

The singer, who has left Little Mix to focus on her mental health, brought huge talent and charisma to the group – but trolls turned abuse into a defining feature.

I first interviewed Little Mix in 2012, not long after they’d won The X Factor, the first girl band to do so. At that point they had one song to their name – a beige, contract-fulfilling cover of Damien Rice’s Cannonball they would later disown – but were on the brink of unleashing their first of many top-tier singles, the clap-heavy, effervescent empowerment banger, Wings. As an avid reader of Smash Hits as a kid, I had brought along a biscuit tin (Lady Gaga lunchbox) of torn-up questions, and suggested each member – Jesy Nelson, Jade Thirlwall, Perrie Edwards and Leigh-Anne Pinnock – pull one out at random. It was a test in a way: had they been media-trained into pop cyborgs by Simon Cowell’s Syco label, doling out rote platitudes, or were they proper, say-what-you-think superstars in waiting?

The room was full not just with the band but their PR team and various Syco employees. “What does love smell like?”, one of them read out, innocently enough. “Cock!” squealed Nelson before disintegrating into hysterics as everyone’s eyes darted around the room assuming the interview was over. No one said anything. “Actually it’s sweat,” she concluded, her smile as big as her hair.

Like Mel B in the Spice Girls or Sarah Harding in Girls Aloud, Jesy Nelson – who has left the group to focus on her mental health – was Little Mix’s perpetual hype person, often the focus of attention during performances through sheer passion and determination. That it seemed to mask a deeper vulnerability just made people warm to her more. She clearly had, for want of a better phrase, the X factor. If people weren’t going to take the band seriously then she’d be the one to force them into submission, often while wearing a leotard and knee-high boots.

Tellingly, when they finally won a Brit award in 2017, Nelson drunkenly recalled Harding’s famous acceptance speech in a backstage interview, slurring “it’s about time” with the swagger of a Gallagher while her bandmates tried to keep a straight face. She stood out because she’d managed to transpose her personality – a hard-won, suffer-no-fools swagger with a dose of messy Essex charm – into the pop arena without losing who she was. Interviews were often punctuated with random impressions – who can forget “balegdah”, a meme for the ages – or sidetracked by gossipy tangents. When I last interviewed them in 2019, they’d recently split with Syco and fallen out with Simon Cowell. That particular topic was very much off the table. When I asked about it anyway everyone went silent, the same eyes darting around the room again, before Nelson piped up. “So this is what happened ...”

And yet there’s a sad inevitability about Monday’s announcement that Nelson is leaving. In a pop culture where misogyny is still rife, with a woman’s very silhouette given such narrow parameters for acceptance, if you stand out a target is placed over you. During her time on the X Factor live shows, when she wasn’t fine-tuning her trademark husky vocal on stage, she was often shown in tears, the face of bullying at the hands of online trolls who marked her out as different, ie not pop-star thin. In last year’s Bafta-winning documentary, Jesy Nelson: Odd One Out, she was disarmingly honest about her resulting mental health issues, recalling how on the day the band won the show she was in tears, having read a Facebook message referring to her as ugly and suggesting she deserved to die. In 2013, she attempted to kill herself shortly after returning to the X Factor stage, her new slimmed-down appearance causing another wave of online abuse. In 2018, having tried to own and celebrate her body via the band’s Strip single and its accompanying video showing the band naked, daubed in the insults they’d endured, Piers Morgan used his national TV show to dismiss the move as a publicity stunt.

Nelson would refer to him as a “twat” live on BBC Radio 1 days later, but you can only puff out your chest and pretend it doesn’t hurt for so long. The abuse came in waves from all directions, and was often repeated back at Nelson for a quote, because fighting against poisonous trolls had become her default stance since she became famous. Nelson helped make the dialogue around mental health much clearer, much more honest, but when you become a symbol the person underneath can sometimes get lost. “I find the constant pressure of being in a girl group and living up to expectations very hard,” read Nelson’s typically honest departure statement. “There comes a time in life when we need to invest in taking care of ourselves rather than focusing on making other people happy.”

I find the policing of what she can/cannot/is supposed to do after quitting a bit unfair. It's a pop band, not slave labor. She's free to leave on whatever terms she wants, and there probably IS more to it than it being a strain on her mental health but nothing she needs to lay out in an instagram post two days after the fact.

exactly. no wonder every successful group ends up going the same way - fans are so demanding and have no concept of the fact that this is a job/a career and in all likelihood a very high-pressure one, and not just an extended passion project that happened to go on for several years with all members of said project still getting 100% soul nutrition from it.

everyone has the right to leave a job they're not enjoying anymore, she doesn't owe anyone shit, and not spilling all the tea in her insta post is probably a much classier move than revealing whatever has really gone down, so good for HER!

I guess it's a way to pocket a few quid from their fans, but it seems a bit pointless.

Hopefully they don't do an 'Amelle re-recording Follow Me Home' and wipe the original from streaming :(

Hmm, I don't really see the point. She was in the videos for the first three singles (and on the vocals for the whole album) - it can't just be eradicated. Let alone the whole back catalogue? I guess a re-record for any additional singles to take her verse(s) out, but any more is a bit strange.

Seems a bit of a pointless exercise considering how far into the campaign they are now. Even from a fleecing the fans perspective it doesn’t make all that much sense considering a new album is imminent anyway.

I agree. Waste of time unless they had planned a reissue anyway. Just press on with new new

I wonder if she’s got a lawyer to sort out her post-group royalties out, and the two sides couldn’t come to an agreement so the best way is to put the album back out without her. That would really only be a thing if they were planning on doing more promo - maybe they want to release a deluxe and add some new songs, establish themselves as a trio?

Reactions: dUb
Has anyone heard the new single as a trio? Apparently it has leaked online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom