Just a little Everything But The Girl countdown...

Funky

User
everything-but-the-girl.jpg

To celebrate their upcoming return, who would like a little journey through the best bits from one of the best UK duo acts of all time??

Featuring hit singles, dancefloor stompers, acoustic gems, deep cuts, from the 80s jazz-pop and early 90s cafe lounge ditties to their clubland renaissance and later solo outings.

Top 50 coming right up.

I know about 6 songs by them and like them all. So yes very interested

"Easy" by Tracey Thorn
from the album Out Of The Woods, 2007
Spotify plays: 192k

Starting with a deep cut from her first solo album after the group disbanded in the early noughties, the OOTW album was well received by fans and critics and was enjoyed quite a bit on moopy too, a mix of electro and alt-folk underpinning Thorn's trademark smooth vocals. Easy stands out as a descendent of the EBTG mid 90s heydey - trippy beats and rich instrumentation accompanying Tracey's musings. Not the best song from the album by a long shot, but a highlight.

"Each And Every One" by Everything But The Girl
from the album Eden, 1984
Spotify plays: 7.2M

This, the first first hit single for the group after some early underground EPs, charting at a peak of #28 in early 1984. Despite the fact that jazz-pop had woven its way into the new wave scene in the early 80s, this bossanova inspired track wasn't exactly a commercial sound even back then. I remember hating this on discovery in my younger years, after it found its way onto an early compilation album alongside the likes of Michael Jackson, Tina Turner, Paul Young and Prince. It was bundled on the 'indie' side of the record alongside the likes of Jesus And Mary Chain and The Cure. Yes back then, they were certainly alternative. Time has been kind and I've learnt to appreciate the bold originality of this song, and Tracey's trademark morose delivery. Only she could pull this off.

"Talk To Me Like The Sea" by Everything But The Girl
from the album Worldwide, 1991
Spotify plays: 451k

Time wasn't really kind to EBTG in the early 90s. After having some moderate success throughout the 80s with an alternative direction that swung between the post-punk sounds of The Smiths and The Cure to the smooth jazz-pop of Level 42, ABC and Sade, they evolved into a blend of new romantic sophistipop and a more Americanised, polished sound that critics weren't very appreciative of. The result was a series of pop albums that never really troubled the charts or raised much interest, but if you like a bit of adult pop and soft rock, which I sometimes DO, there's some gems to plough through here, and I'm a bit of a fan of the Worldwide album, as gloopy as it is. This track in particular has a real hollywood soundtrack nostalgia about it, and while it's hardly the group at their most creative or edgy, I do like this side of them.

I have a very clear memory of sitting in a half empty bar in Paris ( Le Quetzal ) one early (rainy) sunday evening a few weeks after I’d left London when Missing ( the Todd Terry mix) left me bawling into my Kronenbourg

I only really know the singles, but if the brilliant Each and everyone is all the way down at #49 then I should probably investigate them further!

My mini countdown

1. Missing (remix)
2. Dancefloor
3. Why does the wind?
4. I won’t want to talk about it
5. Wrong (remix)

Why Does the Wind? might be my favourite Tracey-related track. Tracey always sounds good but there is something about her voice on this, together with the glorious strings, that just melts me.

Are you going to put together a handy Spotify playlist at the end?

I very much only have listened to Tracey’s solo work and the Walking Wounded and Temperamental albums. Walking Wounded is genuinely one of my all time favourite albums. I’ve been playing Amplified Heart recently and am enjoying it.

Are you going to put together a handy Spotify playlist at the end?

I very much only have listened to Tracey’s solo work and the Walking Wounded and Temperamental albums. Walking Wounded is genuinely one of my all time favourite albums. I’ve been playing Amplified Heart recently and am enjoying it.

I shall do!

• Love
Reactions: LTZ
"Shoot Me Down" by Everything But The Girl
from the album Love Not Money, 1985
Spotify plays: 151k

Still in their alternative underground phase, the second album was a mild success for the group and pretty much left them in the same spot as their debut, with a Top Ten album and a couple of singles that tickled the lower end of the chart. This track wasn't a single, but I love the groovy bassline, organs and horns here - it's fair to say that the duo were Sade fans. An early favourite.

"Apron Strings" by Everything But The Girl
from the album Idlewild, 1988
Spotify plays: 918k

A very understated track, this album closer was reminiscent of EBTG diversifying their sound and subject matter in the late 80s - the sparse acoustic direction was something that would continue well into their 90s imperial era, even when they hit the dancefloor. Idlewild was a slight rebound for them after the relative flop of 3rd album "Baby The Stars Shine Bright" (which doesn't feature on this list). Although Idlewild also didn't produce any hits, the critics loved it, and has appeared in many listings and countdowns as their definitive 80s album. It also had a renaissance and a repackage after a random release in the midst of this album campaign ended up a huge hit; more on that later. Apron Strings is a favourite of the group and despite not being a single, ended up on their first major comp, The Best of EBTG, in 1995.

"Mirrorball" by Everything But The Girl
from the album Walking Wounded, 1996
Spotify plays: 1.7m

The first of 6 songs from their most successful album, Mirrorball is another acoustic pop track that is regarded as a big favourite among fans and among the band. It was never a single but ended up on their later best of Like The Deserts Missed The Rain, which was entirely compiled by Ben and Tracey themselves with permission from the label and is probably their definitive compilation album. The poignant lyrics about youth are notable for their nod to dancefloor symbolism in the midst of the love affair with clubland, while being a very stripped back, raw track. Tracey at her most reflective - literally.

"Downhill Racer" by Everything But The Girl
from the album Temperamental, 1999
Spotify plays: 839k

The first of 8 tracks from my favourite EBTG album, Downhill Racer is a downtempo track that represents a sound that continued very closely from the Walking Wounded album. Temperamental was again a mix of deep house, drum and bass, acoustic pop and trip hop, this song being the latter and one of 4 trip hop songs on the album - all of which are wonderful. Put on the spot I might say trip-hop is when Tracey is at her most comfortable - the brooding, sentimental tones of her voice just really lend themselves to the backdrop here - all drum machines, sparse instrumentation and rich electronic effects. There always seem to be common threads in Tracey's EBTG lyrics - considering the past, accepting loss and moving on.

"Apron Strings" by Everything But The Girl
from the album Idlewild, 1988
Spotify plays: 918k

A very understated track, this album closer was reminiscent of EBTG diversifying their sound and subject matter in the late 80s - the sparse acoustic direction was something that would continue well into their 90s imperial era, even when they hit the dancefloor. Idlewild was a slight rebound for them after the relative flop of 3rd album "Baby The Stars Shine Bright" (which doesn't feature on this list). Although Idlewild also didn't produce any hits, the critics loved it, and has appeared in many listings and countdowns as their definitive 80s album. It also had a renaissance and a repackage after a random release in the midst of this album campaign ended up a huge hit; more on that later. Apron Strings is a favourite of the group and despite not being a single, ended up on their first major comp, The Best of EBTG, in 1995.

so did you not like Don’t leave me behind ? .. it’s not their best album but I loved this one

"We Walk The Same Line" by Everything But The Girl
from the album Amplifed Heart, 1994
Spotify plays: 2.5m

The first appearance from the career-turning Amplifed Heart, which initially had only had a very slight uplift in fortune from the lowly early 90s era, with a couple of very low charting singles and an album that limped in quietly in 1994. Not career making, but not bad for an act eight albums in with no threat of being dumped by their label. This track is very reminiscent in sound of their indie pop 80s roots, although with a more uplifting delivery - their acoustic songs in the 90s did take a more upbeat direction, which is ironic given that their more famous dance music is as deep and moody as you can get. In a series of ironies, Amplified Heart as a rule is an acoustic album, apart from one track - Missing - which, while taking on a very sparse instrumental arrangement, has somewhat of a house structure, a departure for the band, leading somebody to have the bright idea to give it to an American DJ to remix, following the mild success of some other pop songs doing interesting things on the Ibiza/Miami/New York circuit at the time. This led to one of the biggest breakthroughs in UK pop history... but more on that later!

"Angel" by Everything But The Girl
from the album "Love Not Money"
Spotify plays: 123k

Probably their most 'alternative' single, this track is definitely The Smiths-influenced, not just in the production but also in Tracey's delivery, very much giving us a female Morrissey, but with an authenticity and beauty to make it her own song and sound. The comparisons to their indie contemporaries came thick for this album. "Angel" was the second single from the second album, and limped in at #93, charting for just 2 weeks.

"Without Me" by Tevo Howard featuring Tracey Thorn
album n/a
Spotify plays: 88k

Tevo Howard is a Chicago House DJ but I don't know much more than that - I stumbled upon this song accidentally and it's hard to place when it's from exactly - Spotify says 2018 for the radio edit shown here but there are remixes from 2012 and earlier. Just another obscure Tracey collab... but this not only has a lovely stripped back mellow house sound but actually could pass for one of Tracey's own creations... those piano chords could be straight from one of her noughties solo albums. A few listens and it gets under your skin and is one of my preferred songs with Tracey as a featured artist.

album n/a

Tevo Howard is a Chicago House DJ but I don't know much more than that - I stumbled upon this song accidentally and it's hard to place when it's from exactly - Spotify says 2018 for the radio edit shown here but there are remixes from 2012 and earlier. Just another obscure Tracey collab... but this not only has a lovely stripped back mellow house sound but actually could pass for one of Tracey's own creations... those piano chords could be straight from one of her noughties solo albums. A few listens and it gets under your skin and is one of my preferred songs with Tracey as a featured artist.

Was unaware of this collab. Like it.

"Understanding" by Everything But The Girl
from the album Worldwide, 1991
Spotify plays: 598k

The second of five songs I've chosen from the obscure Worldwide album - their least successful in chart terms - this is another polished, safe, pop ditty that I'm still very fond of, even though it laughably samples Marvin Gaye's "Sexual Healing" (I'm not actually sure if it really does, but the rhythm production is basically the same). It's a very plodding delivery and is all shimmery strings and strummy guitars... It shouldn't work but it does. As always it's the vocal that makes it, even though Tracey spends the song wondering what life would be without her special someone, even though that someone hasn't gone anywhere. Honestly even when she's happy, she's unhappy. I guess we wouldn't like her as much if she was always happy...

"My Head Is My Only House Unless It Rains" by Everything But The Girl
from the I Didn't Know I Was Looking For Love EP, 1993
Spotify plays: 441k

A gorgeous track primarily due to Tracey's vocal delivery, this is a cover - almost a complete rework - of a 1972 Americana song by Captain Beefheart, and is definitely one of the more popular and enduring acoustic EBTG songs, even though its beginnings were subdued: it was a b-side to a 1993 EP which limped in at #72 in between studio albums. It was subsequently added to a couple of deluxe editions but it does appear as the opening track on their "Like The Deserts..." self-compiled Best Of set in 2003.

"Walking Wounded" by Everything But The Girl
from the album Walking Wounded, 1996
Spotify plays: 3.2m

The first major single release on the countdown, this was the band's big test after the momumental and unexpected success of "Missing" the previous year. What stands out is that this was actually their first foray not only into dance (if you discount the Missing remix which was never on an original studio album) but in this case, drum and bass; still a relative newcomer to the club scene, never mind the charts. It would have been very easy for them to replicate Missing with a similar execution (which they did, with another single on the album) but this was a bold move. I was never a D&B fan back in the day and I did dismiss this side of their catalogue; while not hating the title track, I never really picked it out as a favourite. That said, I've developed a love for soulful/liquid D&B over the years and while the EBTG tracks are more of the darker, industrial side of D&B they are at least more accessible than the underground core of the movement, and I've learnt to appreciate their appeal. What strikes me is that this is all very similar to the sounds of Roni Size and Adam F who would take the genre to new heights in the late 90s... but not until after this album was released. Strange to think that EBTG were pioneers of the genre. This was of course the beginning of their new love affair with clubland, which would last the rest of the EBTG run and beyond... when Ben Watt transformed into one of London's leading DJs, with one of the best deep house nights and labels in the world.

"Walking Wounded" entered the chart at #6 and propelled the album to #4, marking 1996 as the band's most successful year of their career.

"Time After Time" by Everything But The Girl
from the album "Acoustic", 1992
Spotify plays: 4.6m

Yes it's THAT song. In 1992 the band released "Acoustic", a sort-of compilation album of stripped-down career favourites and cover songs, and the track appeared on the "Covers EP", which remains their most successful EP to date, reaching #13 in the UK singles chart (the EP also featured "Alison" originally by Elvis Costello and "Tougher Than The Rest", originally by Bruce Springsteen). In this version of the classic 80s pop anthem from Cyndi Lauper, they've remained completely faithful to the melody, but with an acoustic guitar led backdrop, and Tracey ultimately proving that she can successfully sing anything and make it her own.

"The Heart Remains A Child" by Everything But The Girl
from the album "Walking Wounded", 1996
Spotify plays: 1.5m

Yet another light acoustic-pop ditty, although at this point in their career the acoustic pop ditties were being faded out in favour of the clubland direction, so this actually feels less like business as usual, and instead stands out as a warm interlude between the brooding beats of the rest of the Walking Wounded album.

album n/a

this is utterly gorgeous, and I didn’t even know this existed.. There’s just something so special about Tracey’s voice . Listening to A-Z from Out of the woods always leaves me close to tears

Last edited:
OMG at Walking Wounded and The Heart Remains a Child going out so early! They'd both easily be in my top 5 (possibly my top TWO!)

The lyrics to 'Heart' are almost TOO MUCH :(

And I walk around the whole next day
Feeling like I've still got something to say.
But I don't know what it is,
And I don't know how to reach you even if I did.

Do I want to hear that you forgive me?
Do I want to hear you're no good without me?
Am I big enough to hear that you never even think about me?
Why should you ever think about me?

And I thought that I'd outgrow this kind of thing.
Tell me, aren't we supposed to mature or something?
I haven't found that yet, is this as grown-up as we ever get?
Maybe this is as good as it gets.

wine.gif

I can tell already that @VoR is a big Walking Wounded fan… there’s still much more to come from that album!

Reactions: VoR
this is utterly gorgeous, and I didn’t even know this existed.. There’s just something so special about Tracey’s voice . Listening to A-Z from Out of the woods always leaves me close to tears

She’s done more collabs than I realised and there’s actually a low key solo collection on Spotify with a mix of her solo albums and collabs, it’s really good

• Care
Oh darlings I just CAN'T with the whole WW album unless I'm in a VERY UPBEAT PLACE

Otherwise I'll be IN A HEAP ON THE FLOOR and then I'll put on THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL and WE ALL KNOW WHERE THAT ENDS

I'll put my suitcase here for now
I'll turn the TV to the bed
But if no one calls and I don't speak all-day
Do I disappear?
And look at me without you
I'm quite proud of myself
I feel reckless, clumsy
Like I'm making a bad mistake
A really big mistake

Oh Trace.

“And I don't know how to reach you even if I did.
Even if I did.
Do I want to hear that you forgive me?
Do I want to hear you're no good without me?
Am I big enough to hear that you never even think about me?
Why should you ever think about me?
And I thought that I'd outgrow this kind of thing.
Tell me, aren't we supposed to mature or something?”

Still slightly agog at @funky describing the most heart-wrenchingly devastating song in their catalogue as 'a light ditty' :D

:D fair, but the production of the song does have a warm, soft tone. It's quite a standout from the rest of the album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom