Just some interesting stats from Spotify's playcounts

Yes, as much as internationally she's a 90s artist, calling her that when she was releasing albums for the whole of the 80s wouldn't seem right - particularly when you're comparing her with Madonna and Whitney, and she'd released multiple albums before either of them.

To be fair she didn't really have international success until the 1990s. The narrative that Eurovision was her big international breakthrough, was only really added after the event. Unison was her international break in 1990 and then Colour of My Love was when it really kicked off. I don't recall the fact she was a Eurovision winner ever really being mentioned.

To be fair she didn't really have international success until the 1990s. The narrative that Eurovision was her big international breakthrough, was only really added after the event. Unison was her international break in 1990 and then Colour of My Love was when it really kicked off. I don't recall the fact she was a Eurovision winner ever really being mentioned.
Ne partez pas sans moi was her first song to chart in multiple countries and she got her international record contract due to her Eurovision win, so Eurovision definitely was the catalyst for beginning her international career.

HI :)

With news of their releasing ANOTHER greatest hits set, I thought Texas' Spotify counts were very slightly interesting if only for re-affirming how POORLY REGARDED their CAREER ENDER remains

TOP TEN

98m - Say What You Want
53m - Summer Son
52m - Inner Smile
42m - I Don't Want A Lover
16m - Black Eyed Boy
7.5m - In Our Lifetime
7.5m - Halo
7.0m - The Conversation
6.0m - In Demand
4.5m - Mr Haze

THE OTHERS

4.0m - When We Are Together
3.4m - HI :)
3.3m - I'll See It Through
3.2m - Put Your Arms Around Me
2.0m - Sleep
1.0m - Insane
1.0m - All The Times I've Cried (Sharleen solo)
900k - Getaway

275k - Carnival Girl

FOR SHAME

It's terrible, but sometimes you WANT terrible, without having to deal with a rubbish TOTP YouTube video featuring Gail Porter and Sharleen's hideous tracksuit.

I assume Summer Son's reasonable streaming total must mostly be coming from Europe. It's still not scraped a silver certification in the UK with combined sales / streams, whilst I Don't Want A Lover has managed that on just streams alone.

Very weird for Summer Son. I can’t remember its sales in 1999 but it’d be around 150k+ at least for a #5 with a decent run. Seems odd it hasn’t yet passed 200k given so many other tracks of the time with much lower streams have.

With Dancing Queen hitting a billion a few days ago, someone posted the updated Abba top ten in one of the Facebook groups I'm in - I forget which.

1,001m Dancing Queen
601m Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
429m Mamma Mia
330m The Winner Takes It All
311m Lay All Your Love On Me
285m Take A Chance On Me
257m Waterloo
239m Chiquitita
232m Super Trouper
170m Angeleyes

And the top ten of the last year only

251m Dancing Queen
187m Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
119m Lay All Your Love On Me
106m Mamma Mia
96m Angeleyes
73m The Winner Takes It All
71m Take A Chance On Me
68m Waterloo
65m Money Money Money
63m Chiquitita

And the top ten of the last year only

251m Dancing Queen
187m Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
119m Lay All Your Love On Me
106m Mamma Mia
96m Angeleyes
73m The Winner Takes It All
71m Take A Chance On Me
68m Waterloo
65m Money Money Money
63m Chiquitita

I must say the majority of these make me smile, and I listen to regularly.

Angeleyes a bit of a surprise?
It went viral last summer didn't it? Not sure I know why. But yet, it's had over half its total streams ever in the last year.

Money Money Money is apparently having a quiet moment as well. It's their #5 of the last month, #9 of the last year, and #12 overall. And last year it was #15 overall.

Angel Eyes went viral over lockdown with people doing the scene from Mama Mia 2. One of my faves :disco:

Angel Eyes went viral over lockdown with people doing the scene from Mama Mia 2. One of my faves :disco:
I've def heard a TikTok sound with a slightly modified version of Lay All Your Love On Me as well... which explains its fairly high placing.

Stolen from SayHey

1000011685.jpg

A lot of those feel... random. "Higher" I don't really get. It pre-dated the streaming era and didn't feel that notable of a hit. We didn't even get the Kylie version in the States (unless they combined both Kylie and TRAVIE McCoy, who was featured on the American version).

Expected "Love at First Sight" and "The Loco-Motion" to be higher since they were sizable international hits. Also surprised "Get Outta My Way" is more streamed than "All the Lovers", must be a playlist thing.

"Padam Padam" being at the cusp of 100 million before year end is incredible.

I guess Taio Cruz has some hits that will get shitloads of plays, so by nature this one benefit hugely from that.

Get Outta My Way and In Your Eyes outdoing ATL and Love At First Sight I believe is due to playlisting. Not actually sure how to check the playlist reach of individual songs but I believe you can?

I know that if I play a Kylie track and Spotify goes on to play tracks after (what do they call that?) GOMW seems to be very highly favoured.

The evil Spotify algorithm force-feeding the DREGS and withholding the TREATS

Imagine making over 650000 USD from the streams of a song intended as a throwaway b-side and long forgotten in your catalogue.

Girls Aloud Spotify Top 40

01 Love Machine 54m
02 Sound Of The Underground 50.4m
03 Jump 43.7m
04 The Promise 31.3m
05 Something Kinda Ooooh 23.2m
06 Something New 18.0m
07 Call The Shots 16.8m
08 Biology 11.9m
09 Can't Speak French 10.7m (+471k Je Ne Parle Pas Français)
10 On The Metro 9.7m
11 I'll Stand By You 9.4m
12 Not Tonight Santa 9.3m
13 The Loving Kind 7.3m
14 Sexy! No No No... 7.1m
15 Long Hot Summer 6.6m
16 The Show 5.5m
17 No Good Advice 5.2m
18 Untouchable 5.0m
19 I Think We're Alone Now 4.1m
20 I Wanna Kiss You (Christmas In A Nutshell) 3.0m
21 See The Day 2.7m
22 Whole Lotta History 2.6m
23 Wake Me Up 2.2m
24 Girls Aloud Megamix 2.1m
25 Life Got Cold 1.9m
26 Beautiful 'Cause You Love Me 1.7m
27 I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day 1.5m
28 Every Now And Then 1.3m
29 Rolling Back The Rivers In Time 1.1m
30 Girl Overboard 1.0m
31 Miss You Bow Wow 905k
32 Black Jacks 887k
33 Here We Go 844k
34 Memory Of You 822k
35 Graffiti My Soul 721k
36 Revolution In The Head 644k
37 Jingle Bell Rock 543k
38 With Every Heartbeat 536k
39 Close To Love 532k
40 Love Is Pain 529k

Last edited:
I thought Biology may have been higher. Wake Me Up very low too, not that its one of my faves

Those figures are from March 7th. It will be interesting to see how much a boost Wake Me Up amd the rest of the WWTNS tracks get from the reissue.

So pleased for Not Tonight Santa as I've always grumbled that they should have released it. It's not too late girls if you want to go bag a Christmas Little Woods advert deal.

On the Metro too though. A hundred :disco:s and X's.

Poor old bland Life Got Cold

I remember the media at the time feverishly predicting a number one. Pharrmmmpht

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom