Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)

Let's exchange the experience...

• Total voters
Dropped to #2 on streaming last week though, and #4 on sales.
Interestingly it was #1 for the week on Spotify though - presumably LF System outperformed her on other platforms.

Netflix's The Sandman really should have hastily shoved in songs from The Dreaming in there given how many times they say it. Sigh.

Falls to #2 in Australia this week, after 9 weeks at #1

I believe that's the most weeks at #1 for a solo female artist since the Dance Monkey disaster of 2019-20

"And we are working with DSPs [Digital Service Providers], the likes of Amazon, Apple and Spotify, to encourage their editorial teams to promote curated playlists spanning Kate’s incredible wider catalogue."

The Infant Kiss, coming to your Daily Mix soon

Sorry but that guy is absolutely stealing a living, trying to make "they wanted to use a song - so we let them... for money" sound like some sort of HIGH ART.

And I'm not sure Amazon, Apple and Spotify will have needed much encouragement to promote Kate Bush playlists off the back of Running Up That Hill becoming the world's most streamed song?? Tit.

It's still a bit of a surreal experience looking at the current singles chart and seeing 'Running Up That Hill' in there. I hope that when this year is done, it is in the top ten biggest sellers. She deserves no less.

In a surprise move, Kate Bush’s Running Up That Hill is being made available as a CD single.

The 1985 hit has enjoyed incredible success this year on streaming services thanks to its high-profile inclusion in Netflix’s sci-fi drama, Stranger Things. The song topped the UK charts and in America is still at number five in the Billboard Hot 100, having reached as high as number three.

‘Running Up That Hill’ wasn’t issued on CD in 1985, since the earliest commercial CD singles (at least in the UK) didn’t appear until 1986 (Kate’s first UK CD single as a solo artist was 1989’s ‘The Sensual World’). However, it was Kate’s first single to be remixed for a 12-inch vinyl single.

A listing for the limited edition CD single has appeared on Rhino’s US D2C store. Presumably it will become available in the UK and elsewhere. It would be strange if that didn’t happen. The label say the “CD single stays true to the original, featuring period correct artwork”.

While it’s great news that RUTH is being issued as a CD single, it’s disappointing to note that only the standard seven-inch/album version and the B-side ‘Under The Ivy’ feature, echoing he original seven-inch. Two other cuts were issued at the time of the original release: the excellent (slightly) extended 12-inch remix and an instrumental version. The instrumental has NEVER been issued on CD, and there was no physical version of the ‘Running Up That Hill’ single (in the UK) that featured all three variants and the B-side, so this new CD single is one to fill under ‘missed opportunity’!

The ‘Running Up That Hill’ CD single is released on 2 September 2022, according to the Rhino site.

It's still a bit of a surreal experience looking at the current singles chart and seeing 'Running Up That Hill' in there. I hope that when this year is done, it is in the top ten biggest sellers. She deserves no less.
On UKmix a poster has posted that without ACR, Kate would still be #3 in the overall chart.

I know from what has been posted before (by @ManicKangaroo , I believe) that when total sales figures are given, the streaming sales aren't adjusted like they are for weekly sales - so I assume that she must have a very strong chance of top ten of the year if they don't for the year end chart, as its streaming chart run is very impressive:

2 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 - 2 - 3

She is currently top 10 for the year

Week 33:

1 1 1,140,000 Harry Styles - As it was
2 2 950,000 Fireboy DML & Ed Sheeran - Peru (total 1.04m)
3 3 906,000 Ed Sheeran - Bad habits (total 2.63m)
4 4 863,000 Cat Burns - Go (total 880k)
5 6 830,000 Ed Sheeran - Shivers (total 1.70m)
6 7 827,000 Lost Frequencies ft Calum Scott - Where are you now (total 960k)
7 5 821,000 Carolina Gaitán - La Gaita, Mauro Castillo, Adassa, Rhenzy Feliz, Diane Guerrero, Stephanie Beatriz & Encanto - We don’t talk about Bruno (total 840k)
8 8 795,000 Glass Animals - Heat waves (total 1.89m)
9 11 735,000 Kate Bush - Running up that hill (total 1.60m)
10 9 734,000 Belters Only & Jazzy - Make me feel good

She is currently top 10 for the year

Week 33:

1 1 1,140,000 Harry Styles - As it was
2 2 950,000 Fireboy DML & Ed Sheeran - Peru (total 1.04m)
3 3 906,000 Ed Sheeran - Bad habits (total 2.63m)
4 4 863,000 Cat Burns - Go (total 880k)
5 6 830,000 Ed Sheeran - Shivers (total 1.70m)
6 7 827,000 Lost Frequencies ft Calum Scott - Where are you now (total 960k)
7 5 821,000 Carolina Gaitán - La Gaita, Mauro Castillo, Adassa, Rhenzy Feliz, Diane Guerrero, Stephanie Beatriz & Encanto - We don’t talk about Bruno (total 840k)
8 8 795,000 Glass Animals - Heat waves (total 1.89m)
9 11 735,000 Kate Bush - Running up that hill (total 1.60m)
10 9 734,000 Belters Only & Jazzy - Make me feel good

God what a generally awful list :zombie: Ed Sheeran THREE TIMES!

I'm an old crone, so I never expected to see her appearing in the top ten biggest sellers of the year again ever. Not wanting to be the person behind two "mean spirited" posts in the space of seven days, I'll just say that she adds a touch of class and leave it there.

I can't imagine she won't end up top ten of the year, looking at that list. Surely she'll pick off at least a few of those above her, and with sales periods going on so long now (hence Shivers and Bad Habits above her) and the year being two thirds over, I think she's safe.

Where did she place in 1985? She must have been fairly high up back then. Although that was the year of Jennifer Rush and multiple Madonna entries, so it's hard to remember.

Where did she place in 1985? She must have been fairly high up back then. Although that was the year of Jennifer Rush and multiple Madonna entries, so it's hard to remember.
56, according to Wikipedia.

56, according to Wikipedia.
That's not a bad showing when you think of all the singles released back then, all of which were physical copies. A year-end top ten selling track thirty seven years later is amazing.

So the week they aggressively push RUTH (iTunes discount, special CD single release, and lowish points to score Hot 100 #1) is the week it starts free falling at radio at 1m+ per day. :basil:

In any event, it should return to its #3 peak this week.

Based on new Official Charts Company streaming and sales data from around 9,000 UK physical and digital outlets, the juddering New Wave masterpiece clocks in over 762,000 chart units over the summer period; tracked from the first week of June to the last week of August.

When it (finally) hit Number 1 this June, Running Up That Hill broke several Official Charts records in the process, including the longest time taken for a single to reach Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart – 37 years, and now the lead single from Bush’s magnum opus Hounds of Love tops the Official Charts’ Songs of the Summer list with the most streams of any song this summer (86.6 million) and the most digital downloads too (over 42,000).

Is that a new title? :D

I guess the OCC found Kate stories got a lot of clicks (or the OCC gay really wanted to write about her)

New Kate Classic Pop special

Out Now!

images.mobilism.org.jpeg

As seen in the Moopy photo thread, a bunch of us went to a Kate Bush Drag Cabaret night at the RVT yesterday, which was utterly fabulous. :disco:

There’s something quite poignant about a time-ravaged old drag queen who’s clearly been working the same bar since Thatcher croaking her way through ’Kashka from Baghdad’ with a room full of poofs singing the high bits for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom