Kosovo 2024? 2025? 2026? 2027?

The Director-General of RTK stated in 2022 that it was aiming to apply for EBU membership by the end of 2022, however, this has yet to take place. Mr. Ahmetxhekaj believes that Kosovo may now have a greater chance of joining the EBU following the removal and suspension of Russia and Belarus.

Surely Serbia will continue to veto this?
I *think* there’d been some improvement in relations after the recent tensions but I might be wrong. I saw that some Twitterloon was talking about the prospect of Kosovo being able to take part now.

What about Kazakhstan? They've been trying for years, what's the problem here?
I mean I really cannot see a brutal dictatorship being let in given how much of an increasing awareness and queasiness there was in the last few years over how the ones that were in were operating in the contest, even before they got kicked out formally. Russia were totally becoming more trouble than they were worth towards the end. I think it says a lot that even before that point, Kazakhstan were begging for scraps in terms of getting into JESC/the EBU and still being left on read a fair bit.

They’ve been trying for years, but the rules of the EBU state that you have to be a member of the International Telecommunications Union, which requires UN membership, which they don’t have. They’d have to hope for some sort of special invitation, which I can’t see happening without causing a lot of fuss and a probable Serbian withdrawal.

How did Switzerland enter? They weren't in the UN until like 2002. Or was that before the EBU made being a member of the ITU a precondition?

FUCK SERBIA
Tired Oh No GIF by Liverpool FC

Apparently this WOULD make them eligible to join the EBU, though whether they could sort it all out by next year's Eurovision remains to be seen. Big step forward though - their debut looks like a matter of when now, rather than if.

Does the Council’s ministerial body require unanimity?

EDIT: Looks like it might just be two-thirds, which is feasible. In April, more than two-thirds of the ministers voted to ask the Parliament for its views today.

Last edited:
This is definitely the most realistic their debut has been, I dread to think of the drama it will cause with Serbia (and possibly even Spain)

This is definitely the most realistic their debut has been, I dread to think of the drama it will cause with Serbia (and possibly even Spain)
What would be the drama with Spain?

Or is that just the fact there's always DRAMA with SPANISH QUEENS

What would be the drama with Spain?

Or is that just the fact there's always DRAMA with SPANISH QUEENS
Spain doesn’t recognise Kosovo and votes against it at any given opportunity (eg at this Council of Europe vote)

Eurovision countries that have yet to formally recognise Kosovo

Armenia
Azerbaijan
Cyprus
Georgia
Greece
Moldova
Serbia
Spain
Ukraine

All have issues with their own potential breakaway states. Makes you wonder how obstructive they might have been if Scottish independence had happened.

Just let them be. Nationalism is so foul.

Apparently Greece have resisted in solidarity with Cyprus and because they have strong relations with Serbia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom