Kylie - I Believe in You - 2023 re-appraisal

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Halli

Cheese and pickle?! Basic...
What do we think about this MAGESTIC SINGAL lately?

It was sort of the bridge between the CGYOOMH Kylie to her being unwell and then onto the X era wasn't it. A time when she could knock out a SINGAL and it be a contender for #1 or top 5 but I remember thinking at the time this isn't going to last much longer. I see this as a a song that you don't always shout about but adds great depth to her catalogue. I'd be intetrested to review what tours she's played it on since its release. She's definitely fond of it and quite rightly so.

I remember this being performed on Fame Academy that its quite hard to sing live.

so good, a hard 10. although weirdly I don't play it often. the studio version is incredible, a little celestial and full of that trademark Kylie melancholy. superb lyrics.

the ballad version she often does on tour is boring though.

I'm not sure how to rate this. In a way it doesn't deserve less than a 10 but because it has become sort of a template for a certain kind of Kylie song/sound it has taken away from the sheen somewhat.

Absolutely magnificent. I always see it as the end of her UK charts imperial era, and what a note to go out on :disco:

I have been known to play it before a job interview to gee me up.

the ballad version she often does on tour is boring though.

Agreed. And let's be honest, it's only so she can avoid hitting the notes of the studio version live, rather than a creative choice

I do love it, but I feel it’s down to a nine as for some reason it hasn’t aged as wonderfully as her other ones in a similar vein (All The Lovers being the obvious), and I barely ever listen to it. But it’s technically brilliant.

The ‘I believe in, I believe in’ bits into the final chorus is phenomenal.

Absolutely magnificent. I always see it as the end of her UK charts imperial era, and what a note to go out on :disco:

I have been known to play it before a job interview to gee me up.

Agreed. And let's be honest, it's only so she can avoid hitting the notes of the studio version live, rather than a creative choice
She does hit those notes in the ballad version but only towards the end of the song.

I'm not sure how to rate this. In a way it doesn't deserve less than a 10 but because it has become sort of a template for a certain kind of Kylie song/sound it has taken away from the sheen somewhat.

Exactly this. At the time it was possibly her very best. But she bettered this with All The Lovers not long later.

It was quite a big hit at the time, sandwiched between the managed decline of Body Language and X. Glorious, 28/10.

Like a lot of her catalogue I’ve no real inclination to play it now due to overplay but would love it at a gig.

Paved the way for "All The Lovers" IMO which feels like the more fully realised version of the "warm synth-pop" vibe but still a solid 10.

I agree with all the comments about All The Lovers being better and more fully realised, never mind with a much better chorus and synth wigout which hits my aural g spot like nothing before or since.

Yet this is STILL 13/10.

Giving You Up can at least settle for having an infinitely better B side. Although I'd probably still chuck an 8 at BPM.

Giving You Up is FABULOUS and is the song that really deserves a reappraisal.

Made of Glass is also HOT SHIT. and BPM really SLAPS TITTIES! the thought of the studio album we could've got circa 2004 really does give me CHILLS!

Are there more outtakes or leaks from around the same period? It's so hard to keep track of hers. There used to be what seemed a pretty thorough wiki page listing them all, but I don't think I've visited it since the Golden era.

We’ve had a recent glut of leaks which I haven’t actually made the effort to seek out. There are. TOO MANY.

This had quite a tasty chart run for 2004 as well. four weeks in the top five!

2-3-4-3-11-23-30-35

Giving You Up is FABULOUS and is the song that really deserves a reappraisal.

Made of Glass is also HOT SHIT. and BPM really SLAPS TITTIES! the thought of the studio album we could've got circa 2004 really does give me CHILLS!
I also love “Loving You” which is from same period I think?

This had quite a tasty chart run for 2004 as well. four weeks in the top five!

2-3-4-3-11-23-30-35

It was released after the GH as well. Obviously album sales were huge and they wanted to capitalise on that, but had it come before the album like 99% of singles at the time it should’ve had a strong chance at #1.

Do we know if any of the X material was recorded as early as the 04-05 stuff? There were like over 50 tracks, and some of them feel of a similar ilk

Very whiny.

“All The Lovers” gets it exactly right and is a gentle masterpiece.

I think I Believe In You maybe has a more effortless chorus than All the Lovers. but ATL is overall the slightly better song. BOTH 10s!

There's definitely a line through to Into The Blue and Say Something at least.

I would say I probably prefer this over All The Lovers. These aren't the only Kylie songs of this ilk though.
I find this more similar to “Crystallize” but ATL is also cut from the same cloth.

Crystallize
Into The Blue
Say Something

and

Hold Onto Now

How I'd rank them:

Say Something
Hold Onto Now (I gave into temptation and listened)
I Believe In You
All The Lovers
Crystallize

And if you're including it:

The One

I love it and all but for some reason it reminds me that I'M STILL WAITING for WHITE DIAMOND DISCO VERSION

I love it and all but for some reason it reminds me that I'M STILL WAITING for WHITE DIAMOND DISCO VERSION

Well, AREN’T WE ALL.

I Believe In You is shimmering majesty and the fact it has Made of Glass on the b-side makes it one of her all time great singles packages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom