Little Britain returns

Rita

User
This is supposedly returning later this year for a full series. Unless they change it DRAMATICALLY then I would say this is a BAD IDEA to revive in 2020.

This is supposedly returning later this year for a full series. Unless they change it DRAMATICALLY then I would say this is a BAD IDEA to revive in 2020.

I did wonder if the Little Brexit radio show was a precursor to TV plans.

And I'm sure that after the success of Gavin and Stacey at Christmas, the BBC would be scrabbling around for comedies they could revive.

We watched them back to back over Christmas (god knows why) and a lot of it has aged terribly.

I think Come Fly With Me (which was a few years later) is even worse in that regard.

That was when the backlash started - it was heavily promoted and they were quickly on the receiving end of some heavy opprobrium for racial stereotyping and "blacking up".

Everything about Come Fly with Me is in extremely poor taste, not just the blacking up but them playing Japanese schoolgirls (with slanty eyes...) and Middle Eastern men, with all the tropes associated.

It was baffling that the BBC commissioned it in 2009 or whenever it was.

Just looking at a few stories online about this.

The Guardian going with 'but was it ever funny?'

The Sun with 'will it fall foul of PC killjoys?'.

Last edited:
I don’t want to see this horrible, mean-spirited shit by these horrible, mean-spirited people ever again. Hopefully they’ll both DROP DEAD before filming :)

(No extremism of opinion or demonisation there, was there? :tongueout:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Weren’t there terrible, vicious squabbles during some tour or another, presumably about which of them was the more BELOV’D?

I can't see them blacking up again. Will be interesting to see where they go with it. Very of its time

I honestly don´t see how ANY of the main characters(bar possibly Carol) could work in 2020.+

Hopefully this gets nipped in the BUD.

Rock Profile is still the best thing they ever did, I still reference it in real life to the interest of nobody, but the first series of Little Britain is still pretty amusing.

Both of them are now too famous to be funny. And they absolutely would try to make a woke 2020 version to make amends, which would end up being terrible.

I met my niece at the weekend and we started doing Rock Profile Shirley Bassey completely spontaneously and it was a lovely moment and why can't they be that good again?

Rock Profile is still the best thing they ever did, I still reference it in real life to the interest of nobody, but the first series of Little Britain is still pretty amusing.

Both of them are now too famous to be funny. And they absolutely would try to make a woke 2020 version to make amends, which would end up being terrible.
Prince as a Glaswegian busker was my fav! I never really watched Little Britain at all.

I think the Wham! one was my favourite. Walliams's characterisation was so unexpected but somehow, absolutely perfect.

Comedy duo, David Walliams and Matt Lucas are back on our screens with the return of the cult sketch show, Rock Profile for next week's comic Relief.

Vernon Kay will be interviewing some familiar faces in the recording studio as they prepare for the release of the Comic Relief single. Expect to see the likes of Adele, Post Malone, Lady Gaga, Lewis Capaldi, and many more as you have never seen them before.

As shit as Little Britain was (apart from Fat Fighters) Rock Profiles was GREAT

DIAMONDS FOR SHIRLEY DARLING!

Little Britain returns (to iPlayer after being edited)
Surely there’s nothing left? :D

I can’t think of ONE character that wasn’t incredibly offensive in some way!

I wonder if it's just the racially problematic sketches that are gone, and if so is it everything or just the blackface ones? I remember stuff like the Neighbourhood Watch meeting where the joke was that the guy in charge just really hated gypsies, or the ones where they played black and white minstrels experiencing racism (I remember finding the minstrel ones quite funny at the time for the surreal aspect they had).

The notion of trying to cut Little Britain for 2022 is essentially ludicrous. Just chopping out all the blackface leaves a lot of hideous punching down.

They'd have been better off with a couple of best-ofs, maybe one for each series.

"Margaret! Margaret! Margaret!"
"Yes?"

Presumably there's absolutely no way back for Come Fly With Me.

I wonder if it's just the racially problematic sketches that are gone, and if so is it everything or just the blackface ones? I remember stuff like the Neighbourhood Watch meeting where the joke was that the guy in charge just really hated gypsies, or the ones where they played black and white minstrels experiencing racism (I remember finding the minstrel ones quite funny at the time for the surreal aspect they had).
Clearly not all:

I guess that’s the question - if the racist (or whatever prejudiced character) is the butt of the joke, is that alright? I mean there are plenty of racists and taking the piss out of them is fair game I think.

That argument doesn’t help Little Britain much thought since that’s certainly NOT the majority of the sketches

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom