Little Earthquakes v Under The Pink : A Tori Amos poll

Fave of these two gurls?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love that Mountain is some sort of Tori Amos fan HOLY GRAIL :D

She is a fascinating artist in terms of output. For some of her eras you literally get an ADDITIONAL album when taking b-sides and additional tracks into account

There is just something about Mountain that is compulsive

Although I REALLY love the opening line "Run he said, the shore will take us" but she rather bastardises it live by singing "Bunny slippers sure will take us":greta:

God, Happy Phantom is SO JARRING on the Little Earthquakes tracklist :argh: You just finish the emotional BATTLEFIELD that is Winter (a song I still find affecting 10,000 listens later) and it’s straight into those IRRITATINGLY CHIRPY piano chords.

Imagine if the album went from Winter to Sugar instead :disco: It would also make the schmaltzy China fit better too.

I do love how Tori knows the value of her back cat. I’ve seen her live multiple times, and you ALWAYS seem to get Precious Things, Winter and often Silent too. Precious Things in particular seems to be performed like Tori is possessed by some sort of ORGASMIC DEMON :disco:

Little Earthquakes is just so... moist. It's one of the most unexpected, profound experiences I've had listening to an artist's album for the first time (only Hounds of Love tops it for sheer sensation and emotional gusto).

I do find Under the Pink to be the weaker offering, but where she went next with the following 3 albums has to be one of the most impressive career runs I can think of. She was God-like for me on this stretch.

3 songs on Under the Pink really get me going: Cornflake Girl of course, Prettt Good Year and my ultimate early Tori moment Space Dog.

Crucify vs. Pretty Good Year
Girl vs. God
Silent All These Years vs. Bells for Her
Precious Things vs. Past the Mission
Winter vs. Baker Baker
Happy Phantom vs. The Wrong Band
China vs. The Waitress
Leather vs. Cornflake Girl
Mother vs. Icicle
Tear in your Hand vs. Cloud on my Tongue
Me & a Gun vs. Space Dog
Little Earthquakes vs. Yes, Anastasia

Girl vs. God
Silent All These Years vs.
Bells for Her
Winter vs. Baker Baker
China vs. The Waitress
Mother vs. Icicle
Me & a Gun vs. Space Dog
Little Earthquakes vs.
Yes, Anastasia

Tear v Cloud is virtually impossible to decide on.

I love Venus but because of the live disc I tend to see it as a standalone for some reason and don't include it with the initial quartet for some reason..
I’ve been playing the main album a lot too these last few days. It’s really strong, I can see why fans of the early records may have dropped off with this record but that doesn’t equate with a quality drop. Mainly been enjoying the more electronic elements Riot Poof, Juarez, Datura and Suede but there’s no denying Bliss or Glory of the 80s either.

I love that Mountain is some sort of Tori Amos fan HOLY GRAIL :D

She is a fascinating artist in terms of output. For some of her eras you literally get an ADDITIONAL album when taking b-sides and additional tracks into account
Exactly. I have been holding out on the deluxe reissues of the first three albums but might have to cave in. I’m trying to be stricter with my cd buying but replacing the original editions doesn’t right?

I finally bought the first three deluxe editions on cd so if anyone would like the non deluxe versions I have pm me and I’m happy to give them away.

Have they still not gone beyond the first three albums as deluxe editions yet?

I think Choirgirl got scrapped because the previous remasters just didn't sell very well sadly :(

Surely she could at least reprint it on vinyl!
I'm not sure how much stuff is in the vaults from the Choirgirl period, although I would love Cooling to finally be added to the album in some form.

Surely she could at least reprint it on vinyl!
I'm not sure how much stuff is in the vaults from the Choirgirl period, although I would love Cooling to finally be added to the album in some form.

I don't think there's much that hasn't already been released in one form or another. I'd love a proper release of a DEEP DIVE into the '98/'99 tour though, beyond what we have on Venus disc 2.

Tori is however releasing a NEW BOOK that is sort of political rage told through the songwriting process of various songs of hers? I don't quite understand either, but there is a signed copy for pre-order on Rough Trade so I naturally SNAPPED it up!

*Opens it, looks at signature, puts it on shelf and NEVER TOUCHES AGAIN*

Tori is however releasing a NEW BOOK that is sort of political rage told through the songwriting process of various songs of hers? I don't quite understand either, but there is a signed copy for pre-order on Rough Trade so I naturally SNAPPED it up!

*Opens it, looks at signature, puts it on shelf and NEVER TOUCHES AGAIN*

She's also doing a live ZOOM about it on Wednesday week: https://www.howtoacademy.com/events/an-evening-with-tori-amos-a-story-of-hope-change-and-courage/

I don't think there's much that hasn't already been released in one form or another. I'd love a proper release of a DEEP DIVE into the '98/'99 tour though, beyond what we have on Venus disc 2.
There were about 7 or 8 b sides put out on the singles packages in total ( Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas is one of them though) and there’s a track for another project and I’m sure there’s stuff in the vaults that could round out a deluxe edition. There’s also a couple of songs that ended up reworked and put on American Doll Posse from this era.

I KNOW

There was some speculation that the Choirigirl masters might be damaged, but I think it was only speculation. More likely the cost of doing it is more than what they'll get from sales

Surely, in a world of some of the OBSCURE SHITE Cherry Pop come out with, there’s no way a Tori remaster could LOSE money.

Surely, in a world of some of the OBSCURE SHITE Cherry Pop come out with, there’s no way a Tori remaster could LOSE money.

Maybe not lose money, but maybe not worth the effort for a small profit. I don't know, she's pretty savvy with the financial side of things usually

It is sad that Choirgirl, To Venus and Scarlet's Walk aren't available on vinyl.

I can't imagine there would be HUGE DEMAND for Strange Little Girls, Beekeeper, Doll Posse and AATS :D but surely those three could sell out at least a couple of thousand each worldwide.

I'm quite enjoying Tori's Resistance book. It's a loose autobiography, albeit with a light political slant crossed with a bunch of Tori anecdotes. It's quite a light read despite some of the heavy subject manner, a bit like Tori is having a chat with you - the language is also thankfully reasonably light on psychobabble too :D

There is one chapter however where she talks intelligently and concisely about female genital mutilation, and tries to shoehorn in a juxtaposition with the lyrics of Cornflake Girl, which doesn't entirely work :D I mean the book's concept takes her lyrics as a starting point for each section - but that one in particular would have probably been best left alone :D

I'm enjoying it too! Just reading it in little chunks and I'm only 60 pages in but her writing style is SURPRISINGLY relatable considering the absolute shit she talks in interviews on a regular basis!

I've added Tori to my full discography chronological listen rotation - though I think I'm going to stop at A Sorta Fairytale or the Beekeeper, because frankly there simply aren't enough HOURS IN MY LIFE for what came after that.

Anyway, Earthquakes was a pleasure to revisit and really works as the soundtrack to tramping through suburban Leeds on a cold and rainy January evening.

10 Crucify
09 Girl
10 Silent All These Years
11 Precious Things (The sheer VENOM of this remains jaw-dropping! :disco:)
10 Winter
07 Happy Phantom
08 China
08 Leather
07 Mother
09 Tear In Your Hand
10 Me & A Gun
09 Little Earthquakes

Girl vs. God
Silent All These Years vs. Bells for Her
Winter vs. Baker Baker
China vs. The Waitress
Mother vs. Icicle
Me & a Gun vs. Space Dog
Little Earthquakes vs. Yes, Anastasia

Tear in your Hand vs. Cloud on my Tongue was especially tough and if I'd gone the other way they'd have tied. :D

Under The Pink has been remastered and is coming out on pink vinyl. Lovely, though I don’t think the pink suits the album cover but I’m not going to be fussy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom