Madonna Deep Cut Survivor: The 1980s (Round 3)

VOTE TO ELIMINATE (up to 3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

POP!

Let the light in
I have a soft spot for "Love Song" personally :(

Mad Oh No GIF by Madonna

16. Pretender
16. Jimmy Jimmy
16. Love Makes the World Go Round
16. Ain't No Big Deal
14. Shoo-Bee-Doo
14. Can't Stop
13. Love Doesn't Live Here Anymore (12 votes)
12. Think of Me (10 votes)
11. Supernatural (9 votes)
10. I Know It (9 votes)
9. Love Song (8 votes)

Promise to Try isn't maudlin per say, but in a set here vying for my attention I'm just not drawn to it even if it was rather atypical for her. Over and Over is a thrill, but it's competing with songs that went beyond mere immediacy. The urgency to her voice is great though. And White Heat, which could have been a single just loses out. It's all 10s in front now.

Love Song shouldn't have gone. There aren't really many 80s deep cuts really, simply because she always got the singles right. Where's The Party and Promise To Try are the only real standouts for me, the rest are interchangeable.

The 90s on the other hand. I'm gunning for you all.

How can anyone vote for Promise To Try after that touching and entirely unplanned scene in Truth Or Dare :o

I fight my urge to rip the camera out of the cameraman’s hands and smash it over Madonna’s head.

Then her performance—which in the completed movie unfolds with the sound track of the song “Promise to Try,” which she cowrote, playing over it, as well as a montage of Madonna on the tour—begins. I lean against a nearby tree, white with rage, and observe my sister’s on- camera shenanigans.

For a while, she wanders around the cemetery, recreating our search for the grave. She places a bunch of flowers on our mother’s gravestone, kneels, and kisses it.

Then, in probably the worst moment of all for me, she muses, “I wonder what she looks like now? Just a bunch of dust.” More theatrics ensue as she lies down next to our mother’s grave. “I am going to get in right here, they are going to bury me sideways,” she declares.

The camera is switched off, then Madonna turns to me and says, “Okay, now it’s your turn, Christopher.”

I love that scene. “Just a bunch of dust” is really fucking sad, whether it’s entirely acted or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom