Madonna Deep-Cuts Survivor: The 1980s (Round 2)

VOTE TO ELIMINATE (UP TO 4)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

POP!

Let the light in
At least one of the b-sides survives!

VOTE TO ELIMINATE!

16. Pretender
16. Jimmy Jimmy
16. Love Makes the World Go Round
16. Ain't No Big Deal
14. Shoo-Bee-Doo
14. Can't Stop

Angry I Hate You GIF by Madonna

It's already getting VERY TOUGH

Supernatural
Over and Over
Love Doesn't Live Here Anymore
Promise to Try

- Supernatural (no idea)
- Love Song (probably my Madonna bottom #1 of all time DON'T @ ME PRINCE FANS)

The rest are certain degrees of tolerable but I've gone for Think of Me and Physical Attraction as they suffer a bit just by being on that first album where the non-singles stick out royally from the very strong pack of singles

I find the non singles of the first album to be really as good or better than some of the singles. The quality is quite even, whereas in Like a Virgin and especially True Blue the non-singles are just obvious fillers.

For many years I thought Love Don't Live Here Any More was the worst thing she ever did. I really don't like her voice on it.

- Supernatural (no idea)
- Love Song (probably my Madonna bottom #1 of all time DON'T @ ME PRINCE FANS)

The rest are certain degrees of tolerable but I've gone for Think of Me and Physical Attraction as they suffer a bit just by being on that first album where the non-singles stick out royally from the very strong pack of singles

OMG, get Supernatural into your LIFE. It's MAGNIFICENT! I can see why it was left off Like a Prayer (it's remarkably silly) but it would also fit so well:

A ghost baby?

And yes, Love Song is easily the weakest song on Like a Prayer, though its relative- it's still a 7 or probably an 8 out of 10 for me. Should have been so much more, though.

I find the non singles of the first album to be really as good or better than some of the singles. The quality is quite even, whereas in Like a Virgin and especially True Blue the non-singles are just obvious fillers.

I agree, but Like a Virgin has Stay, which is magnificent and equal to the best moments for me and Pretender, yes, is filler, but I love it.

For many years I thought Love Don't Live Here Any More was the worst thing she ever did. I really don't like her voice on it.

I had to really scratch my head here because the LAV version is not much cop, I agree, but I absolutely adore the Soulpower remix that was the single and video version. Her voice is beautiful on it for me- fragile and lost. That little crack on the final "...mooooooore" is lovely.

Actually, yes, why isn't it in the 90s survivor thinking about it?

I had to really scratch my head here because the LAV version is not much cop, I agree, but I absolutely adore the Soulpower remix that was the single and video version. Her voice is beautiful on it for me- fragile and lost. That little crack on the final "...mooooooore" is lovely.

Actually, yes, why isn't it in the 90s survivor thinking about it?
You hear fragile and lost, I hear weak and exposed. And frankly unpleasant.

You hear fragile and lost, I hear weak and exposed. And frankly unpleasant.

And I can totally understand that. It's not the best vocal production for me. But I can't help loving the vulnerability in it.

She's a wonderful emotional singer when she gets it right. Or WAS. And yes, I'm not sure I'd bring this up as one of her highlights, but it has its charm for me.

Till Death Do Us Part is one of madonnas best songs PERIOD

I just played it on my stroll to my office and it still STUNS me now. The juxtaposition between the jaunty beat and those lyrics. Utterly tremendous, utterly heartbreaking, utterly deserving of every songwriting accolade she never actually gets.

The bruises they will fade away
You hit so hard with the things you say
I will not stay to watch your hate as it grows

You're not in love with someone else
You don't even love yourself
Still I wish you'd ask me not to go

I mean, FUCK ME, talk about LAYING YOUR SOUL BARE.

• Love
Reactions: RJN
And I can totally understand that. It's not the best vocal production for me. But I can't help loving the vulnerability in it.

She's a wonderful emotional singer when she gets it right. Or WAS. And yes, I'm not sure I'd bring this up as one of her highlights, but it has its charm for me.
I think she has/had (and certainly as recently as Ghosttown and Joan Of Arc) a great ability to convey emotion - better than many contemporaries who were technically better singers. But on LDLHA, I don't hear it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom