MADONNA REWATCH PARTY #1: Blond Ambition Tour & Truth or Dare - 10th April (19:00 BST)

I never really found Antonio to be that attractive, to be honest. La Pobrecita.
He was very handsome, specially if you're into latin lovers, but I always found him a bit bland. Give me a hairy smelly rude man over him any time, babe. :disco:

Oh Pedro, wtf? :D As if you weren't aware, darling. Most of them couldn't speak a word in English, of course she treated them like simpletons. She was there just to shag Antonio, and she did. That was revealed years later when he got divorced, of course. And thanks to Madonna, Antonio had a Hollywood career, I'm sure he won't complain about that.
Oh he's got a point, she was clearly FOUL at that party. Hardly anything new in the celeb scheme of things, but putting it on film and making top doolah off of it will surely have rubbed plenty of people up the wrong way :D

Oh he's got a point, she was clearly FOUL at that party. Hardly anything new in the celeb scheme of things, but putting it on film and making top doolah off of it will surely have rubbed plenty of people up the wrong way :D
I understand what he says, and after a full month in lockdown he's allowed to say whatever he wants, but let's face it, that Madonna behaviour was hardly shocking for any of them, and they surely enjoyed their 15 minutes of fame,
And most of them did behave like idiots. Loles León, one of the most famous Almodovar girls, said that as she couldn't speak English at all, she started screaming basic vocabullary words at Madonna: "book!", "table!", with Madonna clearly laughing at her, to make sure she made the headlines. And she did, as if she was telling jokes to Madonna and having a laugh with her. I think that resumes it up.

Or perhaps we could do it as a double bill with Body Of Evidence :D

I was thinking purely of the era, and so was keeping Who's That Girl for Ciao Italia.

We could forget Body Of Evidence and do A League Of Their Own Instead.

8pm on Friday sounds great for Girlie Show! I think Australia is the definitive, right @Dr Lecter ?

For what it's worth I would have been here for a Body of Evidence double bill :disco:

Have you ever seen animals make love, Frank? It's INTENSE!

This Friday, then? As it's not a double bill, shall we push back to 8pm?

@Dr Lecter, would that work for you?

Why are we worried about him? Cause his “internet went down” and he didn’t even bother logging in on 4G to say anything when we all know he actually got pissed on Good Friday afternoon and had probably PASSED OUT by then? :D

The Guardian today

'A Freudian nightmare': Madonna's Blond Ambition tour turns 30
Three decades on, the controversy-courting concert tour is still shaping the ways female artists express their sexuality

In Toronto, Madonna simulated masturbation on a velvet bed under the watchful eye of the Canadian police, who threatened her with arrest if her show went ahead. In Italy, unions called for a general strike if Madonna performed, and Pope John Paul II declared her concert “one of the most satanic shows in the history of humanity”. The Blond Ambition tour, which turned 30 years old last month, remains among the most controversial tours of all time.

It seems bizarre now that so much fuss was made over a little fake frotting and a few gyrating nuns. But this was 1990, when Kylie Minogue was still performing in straw hats, Bananarama were deemed dangerous and the gossip pages raged over Annie Lennox singing Would I Lie to You in a bra. Into this age of relative wholesomeness landed Blond Ambition Madonna, on a mission to combine fashion, rock, Broadway theatricality and performance art, to “be provocative” and “break useless taboos”. Mission accomplished. Jean Paul Gaultier’s famous conical corset has been described as a “Freudian nightmare”, a generation of teenagers asked their parents what S&M stood for, and the coy suggestiveness of the live pop spectacle was blown wide open.

The themed set-pieces – religion, German expressionism, art deco, Madge’s rubbish new movie Dick Tracy – set a new bar for confrontational theatricality that only greater shock tactics could ever challenge. Marilyn Manson’s onstage Bible shredding is straight out of the “Madonna 90” guidebook, and with her firework bras, stage blood and copious dry-humping, Lady Gaga looks as if she was conceived at a Blond Ambition gig. But the key taboo Madonna broke that summer was that of feminine sexuality as strength rather than titillation, as something owned by the artist not cashed in by the svengalis. That’s what gave us SexKylie, “zig-a-zig-AH!”, Wrecking Ball-era Miley and Nicki Minaj’s bottom-obsessed Anaconda. It’s one of the reasons female artists feel comfortable singing about sex and desire today.

Sex sells, though, and more sex sells more. Over the decades, overt sexuality became the expected – nay, contractual – pop norm. Attention-grabbing boundaries were pushed to their limits, and artists were pressured to play this new, ever raunchier game. Enter Billie Eilish, defiantly covered, mocking the uber-sexualised expectations of modern pop with a film of her stripping off beneath blackened water: “If I wear more, if I wear less, who decides what that makes me?” she intones, shaming the bodyshamers and staring out the monetisable male gaze. By asserting ownership of her body she is not re-establishing any old taboos, she’s breaking the oldest one of all – subservience. Her image, her body, her art, her rules. Which was Madonna’s point all along.

Reactions: GNL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom