Maria Sur - When I'm Gone

WHEN THE DARKNESS HITS AND WE CAN'T BE SAVED

• Total voters
BETTER THAN LIDIA ISAC - FALLING STARS :disco:
Fine, but only because Lidia's staging budget only allowed for a fake astronaut who forgot to remove his accreditation badge before showing up on stage!

This song is fantastic and the thread title is unnecessary.

What in god’s name is this thread title? Sort it out.

It’s a really great song. The biggest grower of the year for me.

I can't get on board with it at all. The song takes too long to get going - for a 3 minute track, you have to get a third of the way in for much to happen which is too long. It also feels like it's got one bridge too many and when the chorus finally comes, it's a damp squib. The ending picks up a bit, but too little too late for me.

I'm sure after a few I'd tap the odd toe to it though

I believe "I Will Rave" is a more fitting title considering its history.

After Kiana rejected 'We Will Rave' for 2023, I've heard Sur did the same for 2024. Even though it's essentially the same theme and group of songwriters for both entries, Sur opted for the inferior one where she was physically present in the room during the camp writing process.

Omg at the alternate reality where Maria Sur is doing ‘We Will Rave’.

I can't get on board with it at all. The song takes too long to get going - for a 3 minute track, you have to get a third of the way in for much to happen which is too long. It also feels like it's got one bridge too many and when the chorus finally comes, it's a damp squib. The ending picks up a bit, but too little too late for me.

I'm sure after a few I'd tap the odd toe to it though
It’s a mood piece. Think Britney Spears - Before the Goodbye

It’s a mood piece. Think Britney Spears - Before the Goodbye

As ridiculous a comment as this is, it's KIND OF TRUE.

It builds and builds- almost as if it's designed to be performed live...if only others did the same!"

Before The Goodbye has a surprising emotional edge, better (for 2001) production and crucially, truly POPS OFF with a proper pay off. It's euphoric even before it kicks in. The audacity to compare it to THIS!:shock:

Cut to me in Malmö in two months when When I'm Gone plays in a bar:

countess-luann-real-housewives.gif

The staging elevates this one for me. I love the song but I can't think of it without picturing the lasers flying everywhere.

Am I hearing the same thing? She sounds like she’s out of tune throughout.

I absolutely love this song but when you play the first minute of it back to back with 'Air' you realise that it's pretty much identical:
  • Short moody instrumental intro, artist starts in darkness
  • "You're just like the ocean" vs. "You're just like a river"
  • Reach towards the camera in the fourth line
  • The beat starts to kick in after the first four lines, plus blue swirly laser-ish effects
  • After four more lines the beat drops out again, for the atmospheric "chorus" that builds and builds
  • ALL THE LASERS
I'm not complaining at all but you can almost play them on top of each other.

1709938198479.png
1709938224372.png

1709938311646.png
1709938330689.png

1709938384151.png
1709938400738.png

1709938475222.png
1709938504138.png

1709938560614.png
1709938580362.png

1709938698979.png
1709938717058.png

I absolutely love this song but when you play the first minute of it back to back with 'Air' you realise that it's pretty much identical:
  • Short moody instrumental intro, artist starts in darkness
  • "You're just like the ocean" vs. "You're just like a river"
  • Reach towards the camera in the fourth line
  • The beat starts to kick in after the first four lines, plus blue swirly laser-ish effects
  • After four more lines the beat drops out again, for the atmospheric "chorus" that builds and builds
Jimmy Joker knows how to structure a song!

Split me open with devotion, I'm belatedly being de-wigged, skull-crushed and put through a mincer - all to stifle my actual screams for this. That's 2 keepers out of 2 I've now got from festival of the melody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom