Mariah Misc 2024

Oh that's so exciting! Daydream is definitely much more overall representative of her legacy I think.

• Love
Reactions: dUb
Where are they pulling those figures from? I scoffed when I looked at them and it appears even in "claimed" sales, Wikipedia suggests 28 million for Music Box, 20 million for Daydream. (Certified copies much less at 17 and 15 apiece).

Presumably her streaming figures haven't been THAT strong? (Outside the obvious, of course...)

Oh, apparently it's bullshit as it includes single sales for those albums as well, if you read the replies.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

sassy dance moms GIF

neither is exactly a VERY EXCITING ALBUM

Daydream is great and was really the precursor that let Butterfly, er, fly.

Music Box, well, less so. It's definitely the weakest of her "golden era" albums. When the schlock and cheese took over the dancier edge.

Daydream is my go-to between them. Music Box is a little schmultzy for me. "Hero" is the worst kind of Mariah song (see also "Bye Bye").

Music Box is badly represented by "Without You" and "Hero", neither of which I ever really go back to, but the rest of the album is FIRE.

I go through phases where I think it's dated or I don't need to hear it again, but whenever I choose the moment it's absolutely one of those "I fucking forgot how good this is" albums.

Beyond "Dreamlover" and "Anytime You Need A Friend", two of her greatest EVER singles, "Now That I Know" and "I've Been Thinking About You" are GREAT odes to old school US House music, "Never Forget You" even with its retro balladry is sung to perfection and "All I Ever Wanted" is THE classic ballad that the album needed, much more in line with the earlier albums than the two single ballads are, which were cynically (and succesfully) designed for mass market.

And that's before you even get to the bonus track MY GOD :disco:

I still prefer Butterfly, but it's probably my second favourite album. I adore Daydream, it's my childhood, but it's WAY more gloopy. The only dance track is the (admittedly perfect) "Daydream Interlude"...

I'll never forget her trotting back on stage to sing her bit only to then disappear behind the curtain again during the Charmbracelet tour. The whole gig was a total scream.

we all know I Know What You Want was DAMAGE CONTROL after Charmbracelet did her no favours :( I remember Dotmusic being in a MELTDOWN because she was still whispering, declaring her voice was shot to shit.

The Lego blocks bit of Up Out My Face has been having a little semi-viral moment lately

Butterfly Lounge? I haven’t heard that name in years

IMG_6013.jpeg
Nothing major to add but I saw her Christmas show and she was a joy and sounded amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom