Melodifestivalen 2020: Deltävling Two - Göteborg

VoR

Take it or leave it
In last weeks thrilling edition of Melodifestivalen, the boy with emotions lost out to the ladies who lunch, Sonja Aldén ascended to a higher spiritual plane (5th place), and it all went a bit Black Swan for the Ballerina.

For many people, this week is the heat to watch though, and frankly it looks like an absolute nightmare. But hopefully the kind that is filled with banging tunes. Let's take a look at the contestants...

1. Klara Hammerström - Nobody
(Erik Smaaland, Palle Hammarlund, Klara Hammarström)
KLARA-HAMMARSTROM_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

Already a reality TV star at the tender age of 19, Klara Hammerström has recently extended her brand into a fledgling pop career, with the basic but enjoyable You Should Know Me Better making minor ripples in the Swedish charts. Her Melfest entry has been described as an uptempo pop track with large-scale production, so evidently somebody's flinging a bit of money at it. If she can avoid being shoved down a flight of stairs by Linda Bengtzing in the next five days, this could go big.

2. Jan Johansen - Miraklernas tid
(Thomas G:son)
jan_j3-999x562.jpg

The focal point of the obligatory Melfest DRAMA this year, this was supposed to be the comeback effort for tabloid-friendly bad boy actor Thorsten Flinck, until he was inconveniently charged with a variety of crimes several months ago, which nobody thought to address until now, causing huge amounts of media attention just days before the show was set to air. How UNFORTUNATE.

Anyway, an altogether safer pair of hands has been drafted in, in the form of crumpled former heartthrob Jan Johansen, who took Sweden to third place back in 1995 with Se på mig. Will the column inches translate into votes? I wouldn't bet against it...

3. Dotter - Bulletproof
(Dino Medanhodzic, Johanna Jansson (Dotter), Erik Dahlqvist)
DOTTER_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

The last time Dotter hit the Melfest stage, she was hotly tipped to win the whole damn thing with her strikingly original electro ballad Issues Cry. Sadly, there was the minor inconvenience of her being completely incapable of singing it. Expectations have been somewhat tamped down this time around, but there's still talk of this being 'ambitious'. If that ambition is to crawl into AC, she might just achieve it.

4. Mendez feat. Alvaro Estrella - Vamos Amigos
(Palle Hammarlund, Jimmy Jansson, Jakke Erixson, Leo Mendez)
MENDEZ_FEAT_-ALVARO-ESTRELLA_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

After enjoying one of the major hits of Melodifestivalen 2018 with Everyday, it was inevitable that Mendez would be back before long. This time he's drafted in Alvaro Estrella, most notable for fronting one of the more hilarious Melodifestivalen train wrecks of recent years. Hopefully he's developed a bit of stage presence in the intervening years. Actually, scrap that. Hopefully he HASN'T.

5. Linda Bengtzing - All mina sorger
(Yvonne Dahlbom, Jesper Welander, Adam Jönsson, Linda Bengtzing)
LINDA-BENGTZING_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

The queen of wanting it all just a *little* bit too badly, Linda Bengtzing is back with a full head of hair and high hopes to bounce back from the unpleasantness that was 2016. She's not even pretending to care about artistic growth this time around, she's fully marketing this as Alla Flickor part 2. That's obviously music to my ears, though one suspects public mileage may vary. :(

6. Paul Rey - Talking in my Sleep
(Paul Rey, Lukas Hällgren, Alexander Standal Pavelich)
PAUL-REY_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

Now that Felix Sandman has been knocked from pole position, Sweden is going to need to anoint another young male soloist as the second coming, or this whole thing could risk actually turning into an interesting competition. Paul Rey looks to be a likely candidate, with a string of modest hits under his belt already and strong advance buzz for this track. Expect the results to be workmanlike, Spotify friendly and more votable than all your faves.

7. Anna Bergendahl - Kingdom Come
(Bobby Ljunggren, Thomas G:son, Erik Bernholm, Anna Bergendahl)
ANNA-BERGENDAHL_SVT_Janne_Danielsson_2020-988x659.jpg

After a near decade in the wilderness, Anna enjoyed a sweet redemption arc at last year's Contest, scrapping her way to the finals and enjoying a big fat radio hit with Ashes to Ashes. Coming straight back again either suggests a wave of momentum, or some very ill-advised luck pushing. I'd expect the latter, but they've given her the pimp slot again so evidently somebody has faith in it.

Press reviews: Tuesday
SNIPPETS: Wednesday
Show: 7pm UK Time Saturday​

I literally have already resigned myself to poor brave Linda not making it but I’ll be so disappointed if Anna doesn’t

I hope Dotter brings something amazing again. I thought "Cry" was very underrated and so far it's the only Melfest entry that I've heard played in Yo Sushi so if that doesn't tell you that Sweden missed a trick..

Linda for a surprise AC appearance, please! Well, DTF, really, but I’ll take the former. PLEEEASE!

(I know, I know...)

Linda for a surprise AC appearance, please! Well, DTF, really, but I’ll take the former. PLEEEASE!

(I know, I know...)

Anything other than 5th-7th will be a shock and a delight but we don't get our hopes up anymore, right?

Paul Rey needs styling och konsulting. Is that what the cool kids look like these days?

There’s nobody I’d identify as an obvious write-off in this heat. It really could go anywhere.

Surely Linda, Anna and Dotter have all got a fair chance here? Vaginas have become a marketable accessory again over the past couple of years in Mello. I’d be more worried for Mendez shackling himself to that lump of kryptonite to be honest. And as for that Paul chap... even his CHEEKS look cuntish.

Spoiler: Mendez will be atrocious live (wait for that only-mic video leak), Alvaro Estrella even worse, and they'll get through.

First predictions:

DTF : Paul Rey & Anna Bergendahl
AC: Klara Hammarström & Méndez/Alvaro Estrella
5th: Dotter
6th: Jan Johansen
7th: Linda Bengtzing

It is tough though. Sonja was a bit lucky she had complete nobodies and useless acts in her semi, this time around everyone is fairly known.

If Felix didn’t manage it last week, I honestly don’t believe a young male going DTF on the basis of being young and male is anywhere close to being a given anymore. The new voting system has made it all the harder to predict.

I feel like this heat is kind of the reverse of last week. Heat one trended fairly young, with only Sonja and The Mamas playing to the older crowd.

This week only Klara and Paul feel particularly youth vote friendly. Mendez, Jan and Linda are all closer to 50 than 20, and Anna had a very weak under 30 vote last time.

I can't help but view everything this week through a 'what does this mean for Linda?' lens and the older-leaning field as well as the swapping old man for less criminal old man storyline don't bode well. :(

You know Linda B's in trouble when Dr. Anna manages to out-schlager her. I get the feeling most of these (largely nondescript) songs will live and die by their staging. Mendez & Alvaro, for example, could be elevated by a lively performance.

Anna's song is far-and-away the most immediate - let's see if that translates to votes in the way it did for The Muses and Robin.

Anna :disco:

Bulletproof HO HO sounds good too.

I can only assume Bulletproof has been sitting on the maybe pile for a couple of years. That SIA sound is so played out at this point. (See also: Ballerina)

I know it sounds like the first verse and chorus in the clip and it seems pleasant enough but I can't help but feel cheated that they've been mis-selling Linda's song as a huge schlager stormer.

I’m assuming it builds, I don’t even think we get the entire chorus in that clip. Paul’s song sounds a bit dull, I’m assuming that must build into something.
Mendez is my surprise hit of the week. Give me that, Linda, Dotter and obviously Anna in any configuration on Saturday and I’ll be delighted.

I know it sounds like the first verse and chorus in the clip and it seems pleasant enough but I can't help but feel cheated that they've been mis-selling Linda's song as a huge schlager stormer.

It has the potential to be but it sounds like it's going to end up with that ridiculous "no big chorus" production that EVERYTHING has nowadays

It has the potential to be but it sounds like it's going to end up with that ridiculous "no big chorus" production that EVERYTHING has nowadays
I don't want to live in a world where that happens to Linda Bengtzing.

Reactions: VoR
Linda’s isn’t contemporary pop, it isn’t even bad contemporary pop... but it isn’t schlager either, it’s just an awkward attempt to straddle both that pleases nobody.

I can’t believe this was sold as a return to the Linda of old.

I can’t see a scenario in which this doesn’t come last on Saturday.

I think Linda sounds brilliant? It’s clearly just the start and it builds up, but combined with the rehearsal clip I think it’s a definite top 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom