Melodifestivalen 2024: Deltävling Five (Karlstad)

VoR

Take it or leave it
With four heats down and Sweden voting notable conservatively so far this year, the direkt qualifiers from this heat would seem to be a foregone conclusion. Can any of the also-rans pull off a last minute dark horse run for the title? Let's see...

1. Marcus & Martinus - Unforgettable
Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Marcus Gunnarsen, Martinus Gunnarsen
Marcus-Martinus-lille.jpg

In the year after Sweden scored their record-equally seventh Eurovision victory, it seems strange that they might well essentially outsource their home entry victory lap to a pair of vaguely creepy Norwegians. That is what the bookies are predicting though, and the early buzz is that there is serious money behind this entry. They of course finished second last year, and that was against Loreen. This year their hottest competition is a Danny Saucedo stumbling blearily out of paternity leave with a 2013 Avicii demo and no staging budget, so you can understand why they're probably feeling quietly confident...

2. Chelsea Muco - Controlla
Anderz Wrethov, Chelsea Muco, Elsa Carmona Oljelund, Fernand MP,Karl Flyckt, Pa Modou
1599px-Chelsea_Muco_2024.jpg

Emerging from Sweden's allegedly thriving afrobeat scene, Chelsea Muco is a Burundian-born singer and songwriter who was mentored by the lads from Panetoz - some of whom also co-wrote this entry. With Anderz Wrethov on board to guarantee a commercial sheen, there may be a path to AC for this if she plays a good hand.

3. Jay Smith - Back To My Roots
Jay Smith, Jonas Jurström, Jonathan Keyes, Maria Jane Smith, Victor Thell
1599px-Jay_Smith_2024.jpg

Another familiar Melodifestivalen trope here - the comeback story. Jay Smith won Swedish Idol in 2010 and enjoyed platinum success with his debut album, but personal problems overshadowed his music and he failed to sustain his success with subsequent releases. Over a decade later, he's got quite the crack team backing him up on the rather pointedly-titled Back To My Roots, including Grammy winning folk-pop icons Smith & Thell. If anything can disrupt the expected Marcus, Martinus and Medina walkover this semi, it'll probably be this.

4. Elektra - Banne maj
Anderz Wrethov, Elin Wrethov, Jonny Werner, Robin Werner
1599px-Elecktra_2024.jpg

Fresh from a strong showing on the inaugural season of Drag Race Sverige, Elektra makes her Melfest debut after releasing a couple of post Drag Race singles that sound pretty much exactly as you'd expect. After Dark 1.0 aside, drag queens don't have the strongest scorecard at Melfest, unlike the many schlager boilers who merely resemble them. Probably strictly fun for a taste, not a swallow, but you never know.

5. Annika Wickihalder - Light
Annika Wickihalder, Herman Gardarfve, Linnea Gawell, Patrik Jean
1599px-Annika_Wickihalder_2024.jpg

Not much to say about this one, a relatively new face to the scene with a couple of under the radar singles to her name. Move songwriter Patrik Jean is among the composers, and she seems to have a line in gospel-tinged alt-pop. That's all I've got.

6. Medina - Que Sera
Ali Jammali, Anderz Wrethov, Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt, Sami Rekik
1599px-Medina_2024.jpg

The other big hitters this semi final. Their last Melfest effort took them to third place in 2022 and gave them a massive domestic hit. They're massively popular in Sweden, but their Swedish-language party pop tends to get undervalued a bit when it comes to selecting a Eurovision entry. Could the low-stakes afterglow of a popular win be the perfect context for loosening up a little and sending them all the way. Maybe!

Tuesday: Reviews
Thursday: Snippets!
Friday: Rehearsal footage
Saturday: Live show

Obviously excited for Medina and M&M but I’ve liked some of Jay’s stuff in the past and a bit of afropop is never unwelcome. Whoever sent the two most insipid or dull songs will storm this though, if voting trends throughout the contest are anything to go by.

Oh so this is what people must mean when they're calling Norway a potential winner this year

I am particularly excited about this as two of my friends are named songwriters on one of the songs and I am so delighted for them :disco:

Judging by initial reports Que Sera is the best Swedish language attempt to go for the win since Evighet :disco:

Marcus & Martinus

After finishing runner-up to the almighty Loreen in 2023, the Norwegian twins are back with another shot at glory one year later.

With ‘Unforgettable’, they’ve taken the sound that lifted them so high with ‘Air’ and chosen to fly in a very similar route. Here we have a brand-new trance anthem with an even deeper, darker club sound.

If ‘Air’ was the song you were playing loud at pre-drinks, ‘Unforgettable’ is the floor-filler you’ll be hearing when you get to the club. It’s the one-year older brother of ‘Air’ – he stays out a bit later. - Scandipop

Oh good let’s hope it dies on stage

Chelsea Muco
A prominent figure in Sweden’s afrobeats scene, this artist is renowned for peppering her music with an uplifting vibe that lends itself well to having a good ol’ bop. Precisely what we’re looking for on Saturday night.

‘Controlla’ leans into the more mainstream afrobeats sounds that we’ve been hearing on the radio across the globe for the past 12 months, and pairs them with a definite Melodifestivalen-tailored style. And so in that sense it’s both contemporary AND competitive.

Quite unexpectedly, ‘Controlla’ ends up being the big pop banger of this week’s semi! - Scandipop

”Que sera”: Låtens text​

Mamma frågar hur jag mår

Det är la vida, mi amor

Men allting kommer bli okej

Mamma, det kan jag lova dig

Vi tar kommando

Vi går loco loco

Är ni med

Bailando

Vi går prrropopop

Vårt nya motto är

Danse danse

Allé allé allé

Det går upp och det går ner

Que sera sera

Danse

La viva la vida

Oooh

Que sera sera

Chante

La viva la vida

Vi tänker leva la vida

Sen får det bli va det blir va

Oh oh oh

Que sera sera

Jag ser mitt liv i panorama

Vi är inte lovade mañana

Det gamla, vill inte va kvar i det

Skiner som hundra solarier

Låt oss få leva som barn igen

Vi tar kommando

Vi går loco loco

Är ni med

Bailando

Vi går prrropopop

Vårt nya motto är

Danse danse

Allé allé allé

Det går upp och det går ner

Que sera sera

Danse

La viva la vida

Oooh

Que sera sera

Chante

La viva la vida

Vi tänker leva la vida

Oh oh oh

Que sera sera

Que sera sera

Danse

La viva la vida

Vi kommer leva la vida

Que sera sera

Chante

La viva la vida

Vi tänker leva la vida

Oh oh oh

Que sera sera

Vi tänker leva la vida

Oh oh oh

Que sera sera

Jay Smith
The winner of Idol 2010, who gained a following on the show thanks to an authentic rock vocal which he brought to every performance. Post-Idol he’s released a string of albums and singles, of Americana-infused country, rock and blues. And he’s even released a song with Melodifestivalen 2024 finalists Smash Into Pieces!

The influence of Smith & Thell as songwriters here (and that Smith is Jay’s own sister Maria-Jane) is felt as soon as ‘Back To My Roots’ begins. What follows is a super-catchy, radio-ready, country-pop hit in waiting. A hefty dose of the feel-goods just emanates throughout its three-minute duration.

We can see Sweden responding very well to this on Saturday night.- Scandipop

Elektra - Benne Maj

A participant on the very first season of Drag Race Sverige, her time on the show transferred into a new life on TikTok – thanks to a clip of one of her performances going viral.

Understandably, she’s taking precisely what made that moment go viral – her exaggerated Skåne drawl – and building a new song around it.

This new song, however, thanks to some seasoned Melodifestivalen songwriters, stands strong on its own merit so that it’s not *all* about the comedy delivery.

Musically, it’s got a lot in common with another Melodifestivalen drag entry – After Dark’s ‘Kom Ut Som En Stjärna’. It’s pure schlager, but with a banging bpm lighting a fire under its proverbial butt. We really hope that Miss Elecktra can rise to the sizable task of giving this schlager anthem the fierce performance it deserves. We’re rooting for her. - Scandipop

Annika Wickihalder
A gospel singer who released her debut EP in 2023, Annika now makes her debut in Melodifestivalen. She’s sensibly teamed up with two songwriters who have got some gospel-themed form at Melfest – Herman and Patrik who were behind The Mamas’ winner ‘Move’.

Annika’s song ‘Light’ is a number that shoots high knowing the vocal capabilities of the artist behind it. This has the potential to be monumental in an arena setting – it builds, it keeps getting bigger when you think it can’t go any higher, and it offers up the almightiest key change of Melodifestivalen 2024.

In a semi full of high-velocity bangers this might just stand out by virtue of offering something different, but no less ambitious. - Scandipop

Medina
This delightful duo finished in third place at the Melodifestivaln 2022 final, with their crow-pleasing arena anthem ‘In i Dimman’. So it’s a joy in itself to see that they’ve returned once more.

Mercifully, they’ve understood everything that took ‘In a Dimman’ to bronze-medal result a couple of years back and played with these elements in a new composition.

‘Que Sera’ will appeal to anyone who enjoyed its predecessor – and there were many of us! And just for an added layer of chaos, the cheeky chaps have switched the tempo up that little bit speedier from what we’ve heard from them before. Let us catch a breath, lads!

If any song from this semi-final is going to win Melodifestivalen – it’s this one. - Scandipop

Annika Wickihalder
A gospel singer who released her debut EP in 2023, Annika now makes her debut in Melodifestivalen. She’s sensibly teamed up with two songwriters who have got some gospel-themed form at Melfest – Herman and Patrik who were behind The Mamas’ winner ‘Move’.

Annika’s song ‘Light’ is a number that shoots high knowing the vocal capabilities of the artist behind it. This has the potential to be monumental in an arena setting – it builds, it keeps getting bigger when you think it can’t go any higher, and it offers up the almightiest key change of Melodifestivalen 2024.

In a semi full of high-velocity bangers this might just stand out by virtue of offering something different, but no less ambitious. - Scandipop

The way I was literally reading all these reviews thinking "oh VoR's gonna fucking love this"

The Marcus & Martinus song certainly sounds polished, but it really is just more of the same. No character whatsoever… I really hope that’s not the one.

Medina on the other hand… that CHORUS :disco:

Medina is so much like something else it hurts yet also like every other song of that genre that ever existed

1. M&M - Bit disappointed to be honest. Air was SUCH A MOMENT and fully deserved its runaway victory last year; this sounds a bit Liamoo at the minute.
2. Chelsea - YES! LOVE the sound of this. I'm already singing 'Fat Controlla' so I know the chorus has hooked me.
3. Jay - Again, disappointed. Not what I expected or wanted but a decent song in its own terms.
4. Elecktra - :disco: For the second time this year we've had to rely on a burly drag act to deliver something that resembles schlager.
5. Annika - If someone more famous had submitted this I'd say it was qualifying.
6. MEDINA - MAN ALIVE!!! There's finally a song that deserves to win and WHAT A SONG IT IS. This needs to emerge triumphant next week as it's running totally unopposed.

Medina would be more than fine - they are fun and it sounds like a good song.

M&M will no doubt go DTF but that is an uninspiring song.

Medina would be more than fine - they are fun and it sounds like a good song.

M&M will no doubt go DTF but that is an uninspiring song.
Air was such a lofty target to hit twice in a row. It sounds like there could be a build there and the reviews were all glowing but at the minute it feels like an inferior sequel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom