Melodifestivalen 2024: Deltävling Four (Eskilstuna)

VoR

Take it or leave it
Well the last heat went rather well, all things considered. With two major returnees in the mix, heat four looks rather stacked as well. Is this one a foregone conclusion, or can any of the other cast members cause an upset?

1. Albin Tingwall - Done Getting Over You
Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb
ALBIN16X9.png

A runner-up on Swedish Idol in 2022 now making his Melfest debut. He's released a couple of likeable but inconsequential electro-pop singles prior to this, and the songwriters present on this suggest more of the same. A Jacqline-esque banger is probably too much to hope for, but probably fun 4 Andra Chansen.

2. Lia Larsson - 30 km/h
Axel Schylström, Jimmy Jansson, Lia Larsson, My Söderholm, Thomas G:son
MJjo_B9L1xSMMo9BkHkC-B3n66w8vreRuaxBpt4EF8Kj8wnyB7l2D5m68-vMnYeIdOFnqhoo=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Another debutant, Lisa Larsson has enjoyed a couple of modest Swedish hits to date, most notably this affable slice of heavily vocodered trash. Could we have a new Dinah Nah on our hands? Oh I do hope so! :disco:

3. Dotter - It's Not Easy To Write a Love Song
Dino Medanhodzic, Johanna Jansson
dotter-1030x617.jpeg

The first of this semi final's aforementioned big hitters, Dotter has clocked up two top five finishes at Melfest already this decade, making this something of a make or break moment for her Eurovision hopes. The buzz on this one seems a little muted so far, and the song title veers worryingly close to Alexander Rybak's last Eurovision showing. On the other hand, she's promised that this is a sister song to Bulletproof and Little Tot so there's still ample cause for optimism.

4. Scarlet - Circus X
Emil Behmer, Henric Pierroff, Ian-Paolo Lira, Jessica Rachel Chertock, Scarlet, Simon Boustedt, Staffan Amberlind, Thirsty
SCARLET-melodifestivalen-2024.jpg

Hoping to join the hallowed ranks of Browsing Collection and CRUCIFIED BARBARA, Scarlet appear to have the look down pat, but should probably work on a more actively ludicrous name. Should be a fun stage show, and 2024 has been shaping up as quite a witch-coded year, so perhaps they'll ride that broomstick to AC and beyond?

5. Lasse Stefanz - En sång om sommaren
Anders Wigelius, Anderz Wrethov, Robert Norberg
F8GXsp0WsAASsk1.jpg

Paunchy old dansband acts are ten a penny at Melfest, but make no mistake - they don't come much bigger than Lasse Stefanz. They've done Melfest once before in 2011 and were considered a favourite on name alone, but the song was piss-weak and they ended up as surprise flops. This time they've got Anderz Wrethov on board, so don't write them off as total filler. The demographic vote may work against them, but those 60+ groups should eat this up with a spoon.

6. Danny Saucedo - Happy That You Found Me
Kristoffer Fogelmark, John Martin, Michel Zitron
Danny-Saucedo-2021.jpg

For my money the on-paper frontrunner to win this year's Melfest outright. Danny has been a big Swedish chart star ever since his peroxide twink heyday with Tokyo and If Only You back in the mid 00s. He came close to winning Melfest twice in the early 10s, famously having a right old strop when Loreen wiped the floor with him in 2012. His 2021 comeback was more of a cautious toe in the water, but he's made no bones that he's going hard for the win this time - and with songwriters from the Swedish House Mafia/Alesso/Avicii eco-system behind him, this is shaping up to be a serious contender.

Schedule
Tuesday: Song lyrics. Journalists' reviews starting at 10am CET.
Wednesday: First Rehearsals.
Thursday: 1 minute studio version at 7am CET
Friday: 30 sec of the performance at 7am CET and the general rehearsal poll.
Saturday: Melfest

Was mainly here for Dotter, but now that I've seen Albin, that looks and sounds more like what I want from a twink entry than last week.

Amazed Lasse Stefanz are still a thing. The singer looked like he had mere minutes to live last time.

Would probably gladly stick it in Danny for about 12 hours or so these days.

Other reviewers are much more positive on Dotter, and it's actually Danny who seems like he may not have delivered what he needed to.

This song feels more like the spiritual follow-up to ‘Bulletproof’ that we wanted as soon as Melodifestivalen 2020 was over with, but which of course she couldn’t have come back with too soon.

It’s an epic ballad with a production that builds to greater grandeur throughout. There is a real focus on song composition here – the melody of this song is so instant, despite its many interesting turns. And it really hits you in the heart, with lyrics behind it to truly make the impact sting. One of the most beautiful songs she’s ever released.

Danny reunites with his ‘If Only U’ songwriter Michel Zitron here. Zitron has since the early Danny days gone on to write billion-streamed hits for Swedish House Mafia. And so ‘Happy That You Found Me’ understandably has more in common with the latter.

It sounds like what would have been the natural final part of the trilogy that ‘In The Club’ and ‘Amazing’ started – the part that was supposed to finally get him that win. And in 2013, it might well have. But in 2024, that’s much less certain.

• Love
Reactions: Hak
Schlagerprofilerna's review of
It’s Not Easy to Write a Love Song

If there's one thing you can say about Dotter, it's that the only predictable thing about her is that she always delivers something completely unpredictable. 'Bulletproof' wasn't 'Cry,' and this is definitely not a new 'Little Tot.' It starts as a calm and beautiful piano ballad, a bit like Sara Bareilles, but then shifts more towards the style of Sia (back when Sia produced songs like 'Diamonds' and 'Unstoppable') in a lyrically dense, incredibly stylish section just before the chorus – only to unexpectedly return to the piano ballad. By the second verse, more beats and strings come in, everything grows, becomes bigger, only to suddenly turn back into a piano ballad again for a while – before getting even bigger towards the end. On the second listen, the song is growing on me more and more. After an initial 'WTF?' the first time around, I now love how it surprises me, how you have no idea where it's going. How it's at times indescribably beautiful... just to become almost disturbingly simple again. I really have no idea how this will be received or work, but I'm incredibly grateful that someone doesn't take the easy, predictable path when they come back. Personally, it feels extra disappointing that this song is first in the rehearsals on Thursday, so I'll miss it 'live.' I'm extremely interested in seeing how they plan to present it on stage. Any objections? Of course, the most obvious one: Dotter should have done this in Swedish! She's been releasing music in Swedish for a while now, and this would have been a perfect song to send to Eurovision in our native language for the first time since 1998. It would have given it an extra push and uniqueness, and it would have worked incredibly well in Malmö. But that someone would dare to take THAT step, even someone as innovative and fearless in building up their three minutes musically, seems almost impossible for Melodifestivalen. But still. Go Dotter! I really liked this a lot. And another perfect production by Dino Medanhodzic after Jacqline last week. What a guy.

Danny’s entry sounds…reductive.

Reviews describes Happy That You Found Me as a 2024 version of Don't You Worry Child.

Danny's gonna perform alone on stage to Euphoria his way to victory.

Swenglish interview with contestant Lia Larsson about her song 30km/h

Highlights:
"I have driving license for you know this big truck you can drive! I can drive those!"

"I make a lot of TikTok videos."

"I haven't sing for so long time. Maybe 1 year"

"Eurovision scares me."

"You only can drive 30km an hour so that's why the name is that, 30km."

"I'm going to have much dance!"

"It's so important to Don't take that shit!"

Last edited:
Jesus, this week is fucking TERRIFIC :disco: :disco: :disco:
It makes one wonder how they could deliver the actual nadir of the franchise last week when clearly they could have spread songs from this heat and heat 1 out a bit; it's almost as if they intentionally put the no-hopers in the one round as a cynical ploy to get that Cazzi Opeia abomination through.

Anyway,

Him from Mask - Weird show opener; I can't really work this one out and I don't like his voice but I don't think I hate the song.
Lia Larsson - Jedward's 'Lipstick' filtered through Queen of Kings and accompanied by a promo image that screams Big Brother villainess. This sounds AMAZING.
WWE diva Lita - I was worried when I knew she weren't going uptempo ow, but this isn't bad. Not my sort of thing but it SOUNDS LIKE A DOTTER SONG rather than a song she was just handed and told to sing. Are you listening, Liamoo?
Scarlet - No notes other than that I am now pregnant.
Lasse Stefanz - I always love these entries, they're just a comforting presence.
Saucy Dan - 90s Europop piano and a reductive chorus? I'll take ten. This sounds like his best since In The Club :disco:

Well done, Sweden, you may yet give me something in the final that justifies the price of my ticket and air fare.

HSH heard the Danny clip from the bathroom and shouted “is that Prawn Sauce Danny doing the exact same thing as ten years ago? PATHETIC!”

The Dotter clip sounds really promising - quite complex and not at all a song you’d expect in this context. For me, that makes it quite a brave entry and one that I hope is rewarded. Could equally see it being too difficult and flopping. I cannot get over the reviewer who called this the equivalent of Shirley Clamp - Let There Be Angles, but then again they’re also the same one who called Hanna Ferm’s Brave as too strange to describe.

Danny’s odds have lengthened pretty much immediately since the release of the snippets. Most of the other reviews and comments I’m seeing are saying it’s dated as fuck.

He’s also been interviewed saying he hasn’t rehearsed his song before this week because he’s an experienced performer and he doesn’t need to.

He hasn’t changed much at all, has he?

As I predicted, Danny’s song is reductive (and dated).

Dotter sounds great.

Nothing, NOTHING, can stand in the way of OUR JAC

Danny’s odds have lengthened pretty much immediately since the release of the snippets. Most of the other reviews and comments I’m seeing are saying it’s dated as fuck.

He’s also been interviewed saying he hasn’t rehearsed his song before this week because he’s an experienced performer and he doesn’t need to.

He hasn’t changed much at all, has he?
Mate, Danny's doing things a bit different this time. He's usually all about manically rehearsing everything long before the actual week. He's got a one month old baby in the mix, which might be playing a part in the change-up.

The cocky nonchalance is still there though :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom