MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTEN - Bloc Party - A Weekend in the City - Tuesday 14/07 20:00

Uniform is one I always listen to when I'm having a Bloc Party playlist moment, it has everything I love about them.

I love how Uniform takes its time. The first couple of minutes are essential build up to a flat out energising guitar line in the last section. No chorus either. More songs should have no real chorus.

Reactions: COB
I love how Uniform takes its time. The first couple of minutes are essential build up to a flat out energising guitar line in the last section. No chorus either. More songs should have no real chorus.
Yeah I was about to post how this one was lulling a bit for me when I suddenly realised I was fully 'in it' without even noticing.

08 Song For Clay
09 Hunting For Witches
09 Waiting For the 7:18
11 The Prayer
08 Uniform

Having a look around Wikipedia, they haven't had an album since 2016 but Kele's had two solo albums since then neither have which have charted anywhere. Have their fans all dropped off? I'm surprised I'd have thought they'd be the sort of band to hang on to their loyals quite easily.

I'm really liking the chorus of "On". Slightly more basic perhaps. Just slightly.

I like the way that the 'I can charm them all' section in On suggests that Kele is in the midst of the night out he was planning during The Prayer. The song is a little bit of a step down, but it is following as good an opening five songs as I can think of.

08 Song For Clay
09 Hunting For Witches
11 The Prayer
08 Uniform
09 On

Having a look around Wikipedia, they haven't had an album since 2016 but Kele's had two solo albums since then neither have which have charted anywhere. Have their fans all dropped off? I'm surprised I'd have thought they'd be the sort of band to hang on to their loyals quite easily.

I'm really liking the chorus of "On". Slightly more basic perhaps. Just slightly.
They apparently started writing a new album in January of this year.

I haven't heard those two solo albums and I very much enjoyed his first two, so I'm not sure why.

I always assumed Kele was difficult to work with as any twenty something homosexual pop star should be.

It's so strange to have a rock song that sounds like this, specifically about the experience of being black in Britain. I can't imagine there are MANY others.

08 Song For Clay
09 Hunting For Witches
11 The Prayer
08 Uniform
09 On
07 Where Is Home

Not on it yet but "I Still Remember" has homoerotic undertones. I never knew! Will have to listen to the lyrics. Kele wasn't out (at least publicly) at the time of the album so that's kind of interesting.

It's so strange to have a rock song that sounds like this, specifically about the experience of being black in Britain. I can't imagine there are MANY others.
There aren't a huge number of black British rock stars at all. Skin from Skunk Anansie is the only other one that springs to mind.

Reactions: COB
Here we go, time to get GAY. Kele coming out was definitely a theme in the promotional interviews for this album, I seem to recall.

Not on it yet but "I Still Remember" has homoerotic undertones. I never knew! Will have to listen to the lyrics. Kele wasn't out (at least publicly) at the time of the album so that's kind of interesting.
He came out a few years into his career IRC.

I didn't know what Kreuzberg was at the time, so it went over my head a bit :eyes:

I Still Remember is one of the gayest songs ever. I'm not sure how you would interpret the lyrics other than homoerotically.

08 Song For Clay
09 Hunting For Witches
11 The Prayer
08 Uniform
09 On
07 Where Is Home
08 Kreuzberg

When he came out in the music press it was sort of one of those "I'm out but I'm not telling you what I actually AM" deals, which is fair enough really.

08 Song For Clay
09 Hunting For Witches
11 The Prayer
08 Uniform
09 On
07 Where Is Home
08 Kreuzberg
10 I Still Remember

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom