MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS #5 - MARIAH CAREY - BUTTERFLY - 8PM TUESDAY 05/05

I didn't listen to Butterfly in ages, and I had to stop it at some point, sorry. She has better stuff.

I have a feeling Music Box would have gone down better with the Moopy crowd as the Mariah ALBUM SYNC LISTEN choice...

09 Honey
07 Butterfly
09 My All
07 The Roof
03 Fourth of July
04 Breakdown
04 Babydoll
06 Close My Eyes
07 Fly Away
06 The Beautiful Ones
08 Outside

Not an awful set of scores I suppose but that middle really lets it down and you have to be in the mood for her in general

I didn't participate tonight and must admit that I've not listened to this album in YEARS but ...

07 Honey
07 Butterfly
10 My All
11 The Roof
07 Fourth of July
09 Breakdown
06 Babydoll
09 Close My Eyes
07 Fly Away
05 The Beautiful Ones
08 Outside

For some reason Whenever You Call seems to have escaped the rate for everyone

09 - Whenever You Call

It's one of those albums you have to be in the mood for, and if you're not, it's pure wallpaper that you want scraped off.

But it's nowhere near her best personally anyway

10 Honey
09 Butterfly
10 My All
10 The Roof
08 Fourth of July
11 Breakdown
06 Babydoll
10 Close My Eyes
08 Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
06 The Beautiful Ones
08 Outside
07 Honey (So So Def Radio Mix) [Feat. Da Brat and JD]
10 Honey (Def Club Mix)

I didn’t know this was happening.

I could’ve written an essay on each track. But I’m too busy.

Even the husband likes this album and he hates Mariah. We’ve got in on vinyl.

Reactions: dUb
08 Honey
10 Butterfly
10 My All
09 The Roof
07 Fourth of July
10 Breakdown - probably my all time favourite song
10 Babydoll
10 Whenever You Call
09 Close My Eyes
09 Fly Away (Butterfly Reprise)
10 The Beautiful Ones
09 Outside

Apologies. I was exhausted and upset last night and went to bed just before 8pm.

"Purple Rain" is a good shout @Ag. "Happy Nation" less so but only because one of them has gone a bit fash.

Apologies. I was exhausted and upset last night and went to bed just before 8pm.

Hope you’re feeling better today, chérie. I must say I very much enjoyed this one even though (well, almost certainly BECAUSE) I didn’t actually listen to it and instead spent the whole thread cackling :tongueout:

Hope you’re feeling better today, chérie. I must say I very much enjoyed this one even though (well, almost certainly BECAUSE) I didn’t actually listen to it and instead spent the whole thread cackling :tongueout:

I'm annoyed at myself insofar as I set myself the challenge of doing the albums regardless of my personal opinion on the artist or even the album if I knew it. But I was absolutely wiped last night and my body intervened and said "listen tubby, you can either go to yr bed or we can just collapse right here and now"

"Happy Nation" less so but only because one of them has gone a bit fash.

Actually he was involved in facist groups in his (pre-AoB) youth. As far as I’m aware he completely disavowed it and has been nothing but apologetic ever since.

Actually he was involved in facist groups in his (pre-AoB) youth. As far as I’m aware he completely disavowed it and has been nothing but apologetic ever since.
Yeah I was going to say...

Oh, that's OK then. I can't stomach that narrative that people have to have perfect lives from the second they pop out of the womb otherwise it's OMGZCANCELLED!

Oh God the high pitched NOISE.

As a newly christened lamb (which will last all of five minutes), I’m having another snout through this lovely thread where we all enjoyed the album so much and I presume the “high pitched noise” was the SINGING :D

I actually did, Bowie was a nice surprise, Butterfly a snorefest. But I keep forgetting it. Or doing stuff around the flat so I don't comment.

I think I’m back to preferring Music Box, but this remains her most accomplished record.

08 Honey
08 Butterfly
10 My All
10 The Roof
06 Fourth of July
06 Breakdown
06 Babydoll
10 Close My Eyes
07 Whenever You Call
10 Fly Away
10 The Beautiful Ones
07 Outside

I used to really dislike the title track and was agog when it became the second single, when WYC was readily available as a classic ballad anthem. But for some reason I’ve flipped on those two songs now and I much prefer Butterfly; the climax riffs are classic early Mariah whereas WYC is just too gloopy.

The Prince cover should be awful and somehow it’s anything but. It’s actually as good as the original and to this day I can’t believe it still holds up with me.

My All & The Roof are THE takeaways from this album on every level

Close My Eyes is her ultimate hidden gem. The true Mariah deep cut. The way she sings those chorus trills is so beautiful, but it’s all about the verses, those chord sequences are heavenly and the way she sings into the chord changes is just stunning.

• Love
Reactions: RJN
The Roof, Fourth of July, Breakdown, and Close My Eyes!

4 hidden sultry gems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom