MOOPY ALBUM SYNC LISTENS #6 - GARBAGE - VERSION 2.0 - 8PM WEDNESDAY 13/05

The soft/loud thing feels very 90's now. Dance music has a different, more linear dynamic and that's been the primary influence on mainstream music.

Now I've always found I Think I'm Paranoid a bit SHOUTY (obviously the point) in the context of the rest of the album but it's still a killer blow and that spazzy breakdown brings it right up to the Version 2.0 chaotic noise theme - and then the deep voiced monster takes over and well, I'm sold

"When I Grow Up" might have been better left as a pop song rather than being Garbaged-up. There's a very appealing off-kilter pop record in here under the fussy/fuzzy sound.

That was promising, some lovely guitars happening...and then the chorus piles in like a JCB again.

I think When I Grow Up might be my favourite of the singles, and by extension my favourite Garbage song.
Ooh, that's a good question. I'd probably say that Push It is my favourite single from this album, along with You Look So Fine, although that's a much mellower song than the other singles.

Oh fuck me Medication. I think this was a soundtrack staple at the time too. It's so achingly brutal though I take @octophone's point about the sledgehammer chorus :D

And THAT middle eight. Gorgeous x 1000

The distortion on Medication is a bit offputting. I actually don't think I've listened to this song in the best part of twenty years.

Yeah - it powered "I Think I'm Paranoid" but weakened "Medication".

Medication is certainly one of the weaker songs on the album. I still love the bits where they cut out the distortion and Shirley sings 'so, you call me co-dependent'.

09 Temptation Waits
08 I Think I'm Paranoid
11 When I Grow Up
06 Medication

And here comes the other contender for my favourite song from the album, albeit mainly because it's cut from the same cloth as When I Grow Up.

"Special" takes me back to the original indie-dance boom of the very late 80's/early 90's. It has *that* sound...like a Blur 12" when they were "baggy" being souped up for the real dancefloors.

A much more restrained dynamic too. Yeah, this is much more like it.

Special is an even poppier, more conventional When I Grow Up with a lovely sad undertone. Musically once again it feels so right - it's a full on rush but pumped full of sadness. They were SO GOOD at this

I don't like "Hammering In My Head" at all. It's too fussy and cluttered. This is where their origins as a production team let them down - they're harming a decent enough song by throwing too much at it and a lot of the effects and samples have aged badly.

God, I;m being a right grump this week :D

I don't like "Hammering In My Head" at all. It's too fussy and cluttered. This is where their origins as a production team let them down - they're harming a decent enough song by throwing too much at it and a lot of the effects and samples have aged badly.

I know what you mean. It's veering quite close to tATu territory. Something a bit crunchier would have lent itself much better to these spoken word parts, they lose a bit of the intensity they might otherwise have had.

I think you're going to have to go back and listen to last week's Mariah Carey album as punishment.

Oh god yes now THIS is like being in a Sonic the Hedgehog level, it's magical and relentless, it makes me feel like Gandalf on every illegal upper going. How can something so chaotic be so catchy AND fit in a reflective, peaceful moment?

Fuck it's perfect!

THIS IS THE NOISE THAT KEEPS ME AWAKE.

Amazing.

Reactions: GNL
"Push It" gets right what some of the other tracks so far don't. They're allowing the song to come through and not overwhelming it.

I like the restraint of "The Trick Is To Keep Breathing" - having the strings dry and upfront is very effective.

I've always thought the strings work very well on 'The Trick Is To Keep Breathing'. I don't necessarily want a whole album of it, but the lower key songs on this are lovely.

The Trick Is to Keep Breathing was another single, though not here as I recall. It feels like the most obvious example of being "of its time" but once again they manage to layer so much production wise in, and also restrain it here and the result is an absolute beauty

I always think "Dumb" is pure filler until that post-chorus goes off on its own bouncy tangent :disco:

Do you know what the problem is - for a guitar heavy band, they're not very good guitarists. I mean, they're proficient for sure but that's what would lift them - a really creative lead guitarist. Given how much this album has in common sonically with David Bowie's 1995 album "1. Outside", it's hard not imagine what Reeves Gabrels could have done here.

Also, they're crap at finishing songs. A sure sign of a studio band.

For me, Dumb works because it doesn't have quite as many production tricks as most of the album. It's quite lightweight and would have been ruined if they'd piled too much around it.

Oooh, "Wicked Ways" comes in with a bit of a swagger....they should have pushed this a few songs up the album...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom