Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 9 - Albania, Armenia, Cyprus & the Netherlands

Penelope

striking, unique, 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘳
Pronouns
Any
HI GIRLS! Voting deadline is SOME TIME IN MID SEPTEMBER

ALBANIA
1920px-Flag_of_Albania.svg.png

Everyone's favourite purveyors of soul-rending genocide shriek-a-thon anthems in the 2020s had a much more poptastic entry to the contest in the 00s. If your instinct these days is to cover your ears when you see the double headed eagle flag flash up on screen - go into this one with an open mind, there's a lot to love here. Just the one top ten here to open their account, with these lot settling into what became a very familiar pattern for them of either not qualifying, or skirting through to an eventual 16th/17th place finish.

2004: Anjeza Shahini - The Image of You
2005: Ledina Celo - Tomorrow I Go
2006: Luiz Ejlli - Zjarr e ftohtë
2007: Frederik Ndoci - Hear My Plea
2008: Olta Boka - Zemrën e lamë peng
2009: Kejsi Tola - Carry Me In Your Dreams

NUL POINTS

Last edited:
ARMENIA
1600px-Flag_of_Armenia.svg.png

Remember when an Armenian win felt like a matter of when, not if? Anyway, these lot powered out of the gate very, very strongly this decade after their 2006 debut, with a perfect top ten record for their first five entries. Enjoy the ride!

[

2006: André - Without Your Love
2007: Hayko - Anytime You Need
2008: Sirusho - Qélé, qélé
2009: Inga & Anush - Jan Jan

NUL POINTS

CYPRUS
1920px-Flag_of_Cyprus.svg.png

Sad news - part of the reason Fuego was such an utter revelation was because really, for quite some time before that, Cyprus seemed to be utterly clueless as to the transparently obvious USP at the contest they had sitting in their laps the entire time. That said, they did manage the occcasional snatch of self-awareness during the 00s, albeit mainly channeled through the medium of hip-thrusting lotharios, wizened ageless crones - and, unfortunately, more than a couple of heavy-bosomed balladeers. Just the one top 5 here, followed by a back half of a lot of DNQs (albeit with the odd flash of gold among them).

2000: Voice - Nomiza
2002: One - Gimme
2003: Stelios Constantou - Feeling Alive
2004: Lisa Andreas - Stronger Every Minute
2005: Constantinos Christoforou - Ela ela
2006: Annet Artani - Why Angels Cry
2007: Evridiki - Comme ci, comme ça
2008: Evdokia Kadi - Femme Fatale
2009: Christina Metaxa - Firefly

NUL POINTS

Last edited:
THE NETHERLANDS
1599px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png

The big comeback kids of the 2010s spent the 00s......some way off the level of competitiveness they managed that decade. Thankfully for us though, the mode they most often channeled that impulse into was 'aging diva'. Your mileage may vary on exactly how much you approve of the tracks those aging divas sent, but Europe's certainly didn't! Not a single top ten to be found this decade for the Dutch, but hopefully you'll have a good time anyway :disco:

2000: Linda Wagenmakers - No Goodbyes
2001: Michelle - Out On My Own
2003: Esther Hart - One More Night
2004: Re-union - Without You
2005: Glennis Grace - My Impossible Dream
2006: Treble - Amambanda
2007: Edsilia Rombley - On Top of the World
2008: Hind - Your Heart Belongs To Me
2009: De Toppers - Shine

NUL POINTS

Last edited:
Results for round 8 will come IN DUE COURSE, but I figured the best way of kicking this back off again was with something people were more likely to engage with rather than another evening or two of PURE BROADCAST on my part. Anyway - have fun girls, we're over two thirds of the way through now! :disco:

(BUTTERTART DO NOT RESTART THE NATIONAL FINALS THING UNTIL THIS IS FINISHED)

Who's treating themselves by dipping into the COOL WATERS of Albania this evening? 😈

• Love
Reactions: VoR
Voted.

The Netherlands really did deserve that decade in the wilderness. There's a real pattern of talented performers wasted on completely uninspired material.

I’m working on them. Just trying to get my courage up to listen to the Dutch songs.

Oh no this would have been perfect for my hung over state yesterday, I completely forgot it!

I was about to start the Junior Eurovision thread, but guess I'll prioritise getting this done first :eyes:

Carry Me In Your Dreams is an absolute belter but that must be the least active lead singer choreography since Claudia Beni.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom