Motherfestivalen 2023 - Artist and songwriting evaluations: WHO should be invited back to future editions?

Putting personal tastes aside - Which acts do you think deserves to be invited back?

• Total voters

Hak

User
It's been an intense few weeks, but within a week it will be time to wrap it all up!

maxresdefault.jpg

There's been quite a lot of upsets this year with the likes of Loulou, Crone, Laurell and Wiktoria not making the finals. Which artists do you think made enough effort to warrant another go at it down the road?

That is... quite a poll. :D

From this year I'd invite the following back for 2023

Kiana (no brainer)
Maria Sur (with something less maudlin)
Ida Lova (Her song is performing very well on streaming)
Emil Henrohn (Just give him an open invitation to mince his way to last place every year! :disco:)

Whether she wins or not, I can't imagine why Loreen would come back anytime soon.

Probably time to rest Mariette, Paul Rey, Jon Henrik, LouLou and Victor Crone for a while.
THEOZ and Tone should probably take a year out to avoid viewer fatigue, though they'll both clearly be seen again.

Next year my hopes are for a more diverse songwriting slate and of course a comeback for the Schlager divas. I've said this every time Sweden has won and it always comes to nought, but Carola representing on home turf would be perfection. Afro Dite would be a welcome return too.

• Care
Reactions: Hak
To clarify I'm not only asking about who should be invited back again next year. I'm asking which ones should potentially be asked back for any future editions.

There were a few artist that I feel have run their course by now:
- Shirley and Nordman felt very tired. It's been at least 10 years since we last saw a new side of them.
- Casanovas, Loulou and Crone. They were performing like they were interval acts at Bingolotto (Swedish game show) and I don't get the impression they're trying to be anything more than average. If that's the case I'll rather give an enthusiastic newcomer a chance.
- Ewa: It's just so obvious that she's dragged there by her more juvenile friend.

Artists in way over their depths:
Eden, Signe & Hjördis, Rehjan.

Then there's a bunch of artists that really brought it but I still don't see how they would realisticly bring something new or really gear up if they were to be invited back again. These includes Panetoz, Paul Rey, Tennessee Tears and Magnus Carlsson.

I'd be happy to see more than half of this year's entries return in some form down the line. Of course those with ESC potential like
Mariette, JHF, Wiktoria, Marcus & Martinus, Loreen, Smash Into Pieces and THEOZ should be real picky with song selection and staging if they do return. Of these I'm only 100% that THEOZ and Mariette will give it another try.

Flavour artists that could be brought in whenever there's a need for variety in the contest includes Elov & Beny (Party), Uje (Real music, genre spread), Tone (Schlager, slut banger or whatever she wants to try next), DJ Trexx and Laurell (Tones & I, creative staging).

It makes sense for some unestablished artists to aim for coming back already next year. Especially Adam Woods and Kiana, but also Maria Sur, Melanie Wehbe, Ida-Lova as well as Emil Henrohn and Linda Bengtzing as hosts could benefit from people having them fresh in their minds.

Last edited:
Performers

Would be happy to see them back next year:
Kiana is the obvious breakout newbie of this year's cohort, and i'd also be happy to see another entry from Smash Into Pieces. Marius and Martinus too but both them and Maria Sur feel like one-offs for some reason. I'm on the fence about Melanie but think she could do great things with a better song! In terms of veterans, I would LOVE to see a proper new entry from Afrodite even if is unlikely to go fucking anywhere and it's been a while since we've had a Magnus entry so i'd also happily welcome him back. Axel too as long as he brought something more along the lines of När ingen ser, and DOLLY STYLE as well... why the fuck not?

Need at least a year off:
Theoz, Tone and Ewa and Eva all need a year off as three years on the trot would really drive home the fatigue - would love to see Theoz come back with something genuinely competitive and in English when he is slightly older. Obviously love me some Linda, Shirley and Tess but they've all entered far too recently. I think it should be at least 2025 before we get anything more from LouLou, with or without The Mamas.

Mariette needs a PROPER rest - i'm worried that if she keeps going it threatens to tarnish her legacy. There was a point where I thought she could go to Eurovision and do very well but we're past that now. Her new status as Granny Greta's favourite isn't great for her image. Even if she comes back in 5-10 years and that is still the case then at least it wouldn't feel quite so undignified. I also have no idea what to do with poor Wiktoria for the foreseeable.

I think we could see both Loreen or Cornelia back at some point but not for a good long while.

Needs to fuck off:

I'd happily never sit through another entry by Victor Crone. How does ROBIN BENGTSSON manage to bring more charisma and joy to these types of songs? Paul Rey only marginally more acceptable but I need a BREAK. Panetoz also feel extremely tired to me at this point even though they have been away for a while before this year.

Anyone i've not mentioned it is because I simply don't give a fuck.

Complete and utter fantasy booking: Carola BACK in FULL god-bothering mode (imagine what she would have done with the likes of Jessica Andersson - Horizon?!), Nordman / Jon-Henrik Fjällgren collab (they will never do this because Swedes would inevitably SEND IT TO EUROVISION), Tone Sekelius in full schlagerdiva mode (i'm thinking something along the lines of Skrellex - Love Again from this year's MGP... would need to be in a few years time as her public needs time to miss her).

Presenters:

No more Jesper please. I think Farah seems very good in the role but 2024 would be the third year on the trot that she has been heavily involved. With that said, maybe she is just the gal to add a layer of professionalism to my new fantasy dream presenting duo: THEOZ and Linda Bengtzing.

Emil seems like an obvious person to bring back for further presenting and/or skits at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom