MOTHERFESTIVALEN 2023: Deltävling 4 (Malmö) - ft. Lorraine (sp?)

Hak

User
Melodifestivalen 2023: Deltävling 4 (Malmö) - ft. Loreen

Call Loreen pretentious if you like but at least she's allowed Elle to release a trailer for her upcoming Melfest participation.

@VoR don't have time to do the pithy write-ups just yet but the reviews come in tomorrow morning so we'd better have the thread.

1. Kiana - Where Did You Go?
1599px-Kiana_2023.jpg

Joy Deb, Linnea Deb och Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt

2. Signe & Hjördis - Edelweiss
1599px-Signe_och_Hj%C3%B6rdis_2023.jpg

Myra Granberg, Jimmy Jansson och Anderz Wrethov

3. Smash Into Pieces - Six Feet Under
1599px-Smash_Into_Pieces_2023.jpg

Chris Adam, Per Bergquist, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Benjamin Jennebo, Andreas "Giri" Lindbergh och Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt

4. Mariette - One Day
1600px-Mariette_2023.jpg

Thomas G:son, Jimmy Jansson och Mariette

5. Emil Henhron - Mera Mera Mera
1600px-Emil_Henrohn_2023.jpg

Emil Henrohn, Ji Nilsson, Jakob Redtzer och Marlene Strand

6. Axel Schylström - Gorgeous
1600px-Axel_Schylstr%C3%B6m_2023.jpg

Herman Gardarfve, Malin Halvardsson, Axel Schylström och Jonas Thander

7. Loreen - Tattoo
1600px-Loreen_2023.jpg

Peter Boström, Moa "Cazzi Opeia" Carlebecker, Thomas G:son, Jimmy Jansson, Loreen och Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt

Last edited:
it was a joke about that song lol x

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: GNL
I don't have time to do the pithy write-ups just yet but the reviews come in tomorrow morning so we'd better have the thread.

1. Kiana - Where Did You Go?
1599px-Kiana_2023.jpg

Joy Deb, Linnea Deb och Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt

2. Signe & Hjördis - Edelweiss
1599px-Signe_och_Hj%C3%B6rdis_2023.jpg

Myra Granberg, Jimmy Jansson och Anderz Wrethov

3. Smash Into Pieces - Six Feet Under
1599px-Smash_Into_Pieces_2023.jpg

Chris Adam, Per Bergquist, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Benjamin Jennebo, Andreas "Giri" Lindbergh och Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt

4. Mariette - One Day
1600px-Mariette_2023.jpg

Thomas G:son, Jimmy Jansson och Mariette

5. Emil Henhron - Mera Mera Mera
1600px-Emil_Henrohn_2023.jpg

Emil Henrohn, Ji Nilsson, Jakob Redtzer och Marlene Strand

6. Axel Schylström - Gorgeous
1600px-Axel_Schylstr%C3%B6m_2023.jpg

Herman Gardarfve, Malin Halvardsson, Axel Schylström och Jonas Thander

7. Loreen - Tattoo
1600px-Loreen_2023.jpg

Peter Boström, Moa "Cazzi Opeia" Carlebecker, Thomas G:son, Jimmy Jansson, Loreen och Jimmy "Joker" Thörnfeldt

Reactions: Hak
Lyrics: Loreen - Tattoo

I don't wanna go
But baby we both know
This is not our time
It’s time to say goodbye

Until we meet again
Cus this is not the end
It will come a day
When we will find our way

Violins playing and the angels crying
When the stars align then I’ll be there

No I don't care about them all
Cus all I want is to be loved
And all I care about is you
You stuck on me like a tattoo

No I don't care about the pain
I’ll walk through fire and through rain
Just to get closer to you

I'm letting my hair down
I'm taking it cool
You got my heart in your hand
Don't lose it my friend
It's all that I got

Violins playing and the angels crying
When the stars align then I’ll be there

No I don't care about them all

No I don't care about the pain

Oh I don't care about them all

I don't care about the pain

All I care about is love
Oh oh oh
All I care about is love

I trust nothing in a post-Statements world.

Also v much looking forward to the writeups :disco: (if you have time this week VoR)

Scandipop's Heat Three Reviews

kianamelfest23.png

Kiana – Where Did You Go
(Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb)

She sang her way to the final of Sweden’s Got Talent in 2021, and now this week she’ll release her debut single via Melodifestivalen, written by some of the competition’s most frequently used top-tier writers. There’s potential for a brand-new Main Pop Girl waiting in the wings here.

With ‘Where Did You Go’, she’s brought to the contest a radio-pop and house-music hybrid. A soaring dance track that sounds like it’s tailor-made to soundtrack a summer series of Love Island. And to make it even more contemporary, her vocal even gives shades of Zara Larsson in parts. This is an entry with clear designs on being a hit outside of the contest, whatever happens inside it.

signemelfest23.png

Signe & Hjördis – Edelweiss
(Anderz Wrethov, Jimmy Jansson, Myra Granberg)

Coming from a family of famous musicians, Signe and Hjördis Bornemark are therefore into all sorts of different genres of music, and passionate about their craft whatever they put their skills to. For their Melodifestivalen debut, however, they’ve promised viewers something on the folkier side of pop music.

A more universally palatable variation of the Swedish folk music we got to experience last week with Nordman. ‘Edelweiss’ is a mid-tempo number that plays out rather pleasantly enough, until it gets to that chorus – one that’s so catchy, they’ve abandoned all notions of shame and performed it twice per chorus-section. If a melody is this good, however, we’re a big fan of it being as relentless as it wishes.

smashintopiecesmelfest23.png

Smash Into Pieces – Six Feet Under
(Andreas ”Giri” Lindbergh, Benjamin Jennebo, Chris Adam, Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt, Joy Deb, Linnea Deb, Per Bergquist)

We’ve long suspected that this electro-rock act would find their way to Melodifestivalen, given their propensity for working with Anderz Wrethov and Dino Medanhodzic on their singles. As it turns out, however, neither of those writers are actually present for Smash Into Pieces’ big Melodifestivalen debut – but a few other big hitters are. This band like to inject plenty of grandeur into their sound, creating big productions to roar along to. And we can’t imagine they’ll have wanted to scrimp on any of that for their Melodifestivalen introduction.

As expected, nothing in the production has been left at the subtle setting. ‘Six Feet Under’ serves as a welcome throwback to the rock hybrids that were making the charts globally 20 years ago, updated for 2023 and tailored towards the melodic needs of us Melodifestivalen viewers. They’ve certainly understood the assignment in that respect. It’s this entry that stands head and shoulders with our Eurovision Song Contest winner coming later in the heat, as the two songs most likely to be in that finalen.

mariettemelfest23.png

Mariette – One Day
(Jimmy Jansson, Thomas G:son, Mariette)

In the latter half of the last decade, she competed four times in six years, making it straight to the final each time. Given she’s been away for three years, it’s exciting to hear just how her sound has evolved in that time, and what a Mariette entry sounds like in 2023. And with G:son and Jansson, she’s in the best possible hands, really.

As it turns out, the Mariette of 2023 sounds like a breath of fresh air. Almost literally, in fact! A lyric of pure positivity is paired with an uplifting, airy production featuring strings of hope and drums of encouragement. A three-minute mission to make you feel better about everything going on around you. And Mariette plays the role of a reassuring Earth Mother just splendidly.

emilmelfest23.png

Emil Henrohn – Mera Mera Mera
(Emil Henrohn, Jakob Redtzer, Ji Nilsson, Marlene Strand)

Musical actor who turns TikTok star is all well and good, but what nobody else seems to be talking about is the *real* career highlight of Emil’s thus far – the fact that this guy was in the iconic two-single-wonder pop group A*Base! Eight years on, and he’s making his Melodifestivalen debut as a big name on social media. And of course, his own sound has evolved into something very different by now.

On ‘Mera Mera Mera’, he’s found inspiration in the schlager of the Melodifestivalen of yesteryear and attempted to update it into something that’s repackagable for today. Whether you’ll want to open that package or not, however, will down to your own tastes. Personally, we took a quick peek inside, had a look at the contents and appreciated its existence. But it’s not something we’ll be treasuring for years to come.

axelmelfest23.png

Axel Schylström – Gorgeous
(Axel Schylström, Herman Gardarfve, Jonas Thander, Malin Halvardsson)

The song he co-wrote for THEOZ in Melodifestivalen 2022 sounded pretty much like the natural follow-up to Axel’s own Melodifestivalen entry in 2017. So it’s not too surprising to see that contest producers put him right back to the front of their minds and invited him to return to the competition in his own right. Axel has also co-penned the song that THEOZ competed with a couple of weeks back in the second heat. But what’s he saved for himself?…

For his own outing on the Melodifestivalen stage, he’s brought with him what ends up being the only ballad in this week’s heat. It will stand out for that reason in itself, but will also strike a chord with many for its ‘don’t be so hard on yourself’-themed lyrics. In a heat of such quality and diversity however, it’s difficult to imagine this overtaking some of the many bigger hitters it competes against.

loreentattoo.png

Loreen – Tattoo
(Jimmy “Joker” Thörnfeldt, Jimmy Jansson, Loreen, Moa ”Cazzi Opeia” Carlebecker, Peter Boström, Thomas G:son)

The big one. The one we’ve all been talking about in the run-up to the contest, and the one we’ll most likely all be dissecting for years to come afterwards – just like we’re still doing with ‘Statements’. Actually, maybe now’s not the best time to be dwelling on ‘Statements’. For 2023, and ‘Tattoo’, Loreen has reunited with ‘Euphoria’s songwriters Peter Boström and Thomas G:son, enlisting three more mega pop writers to the mix, including a certain Cazzi Opeia. The performance on Saturday night is going to be A Moment, that’s for sure. But what of the song?…

‘Tattoo’ is a string-laden dance track that mixes elements of recent single ‘Neon Lights’, with the greatest hits of her ‘Heal’ album. It’s starts off as a moody soundscape of intriguing electronica, before it really gets to work and lets rip on the pounding! It’s her representing her sound today, while paying a respectful nod to what we all love her for. It’s also most definitely a clear frontrunner to win Melodifestivalen. She’s said repeatedly in recent weeks that she doesn’t care about winning. But she forgot to tell that to her song – this song definitely cares about winning!

This is HEAL-Loreen mixed with RIDE-Loreen with an influence of "Neon Lights".
:manson: How would they meaningfully combine those three tracks? That description is just saying it sounds like Loreen.

Reactions: VoR
Loreen has now passed M&M in betting odds and is at 37% of winning Melodifestivalen, up from 30% earlier this morning.

That's lower odds than were given on Russia invading Ukraine this time last year :o

Last edited:
Carola on stage in Melodifestivalen - 40 years since her breakthrough
ca.png

This week it is 40 years since Carola broke through with a bang in the Melodifestivalen at the Palladium in Malmö. After the success story with "Främling" and other hit songs, she is one of the country's most famous artists. Now Carola celebrates by returning to where it all began to inaugurating a new epoch in Melodifestivalen history!

Carola has participated in Melodifestivalen five times. Three of these times she has won the entire competition and represented Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Now she is celebrating that it is 40 years since the breakthrough by visiting the Melodifestivalen competition in Malmö.
She will perform the Swedish winning songs "Främling" (1983) by Lasse Holm and Monica Forsberg, "Fångad av en stormvind" (1991) written by Carola herself and Stephan Berg as well as "Evighet" (2006) written by Bobby Ljunggren, Carola, Henrik Wikström and Thomas G:son.

In 2020, Carola, Stephan Berg and "Fångad av en stormvind" were elected into the Melodifestival Hall of Fame for the feat of taking home Sweden's third win in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1991.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom