My top 32 favourite Real Housewives of ALL TIME: room for MORE?

I REALLY should have added a Jill vs Ramona section to the write up shouldn't I :D

It's fine, you can just include it in the write-up about Jill, which must surely be on its way as we head closer and closer to the top ten :angel:

Anybody for THE OTHER half of Ramonja..? The Real Housewives' VERY OWN Miss Haversham has ARRIVED!

12 - Sonja Morgan - The Real Housewives of New York
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Sonja, Sonja, Sonja. One of the most BIZARRE yet fascinating characters to ever grace the Housewives franchise.
Never has a single person had such a SLOW yet compelling fall from grace via the medium of reality TV, and quite often these days Sonja being continually contracted to Real Housewives of NY feels more like an ACT OF CHARITY than a strategic decision to help guide the show forward.
Sonja has been floundering in a ludicrous mess of her own making for NINE AND A HALF SEASONS now, and shows little-to-no-sign of living an organised, peaceful life at ANY POINT in the immediate future.

Sonja is famous for several things, I'd actually go as far to say that she has one of the STRONGEST personal brands of all Housewives from any city, sadly for Sonja she has absolutely NO IDEA how to utilise any of the things she is famous for, and quite literally everything she touches turns to a huge lump of SHIT! :D

Sonja is:
- The Townhouse
- The TOASTER OVEN
- The resident DRUNK
- Sonja Morgan New York CLOTHING EMPIRE
- The delusional fantasist
- A noted Hollywood film producer
- Owner of a Nigerian football team (?)
- Entirely reliant on a weird network of unpaid "interns" to organise her life
- Former heiress to the Morgan family empire (this one is actually true)
- Close friends with various celebrities including Donald Trump, P Diddy, Leo DiCaprio, Madonna, JFK Jr...her black book of contacts NEVER ENDS! :eyes:
and on and on it goes.

giphy.gif

The sad reality - and it IS a sad reality - is that Sonja these days is a delusional drunk, who relies on her Bravo paycheck, her daughter who bears the Morgan name, and quite literally the kindness of friends to stay afloat. She's quite clearly been treading water financially for several years now, and if we are being truthful - it surely isn't all that long until her deck of cards truly topples over. She got a reprieve being signed up for another season of New York this year, but WHO KNOWS how much longer her Housewives gig will last.

Sonja Morgan is Ivanka Trump, meets Blanche Devereux, meets Mrs Havisham brought to life. Our very own loveable mess, who is helplessly out of her depth at most moments in time.

Let's start with THE TOWNHOUSE:
giphy.gif

God, Sonja's sad sack of a crumbling townhouse is almost an additional CAST MEMBER to New York.
Granted as part of her mega-bucks Morgan divorce settlement, it's her only remaining asset of ANY value - having pissed away the rest of it through bad investments or selling them off.
Sonja's townhouse DOES have value - it's a sprawling mansion in the centre of New York City - sadly for Sonja, she's been trying to sell it for years, and massively over-inflates its worth EVERY SINGLE TIME as she obviously can't afford to sell it for less than the 10 million price tag she wants for it.
A bit of furious googling indicates it's worth 3 million MAX, and there are multiple MUCH BETTER properties available for 10 million within a few metres walk of Sonja's place.
The townhouse needs completely GUTTING and updating, and probably entire new plumbing and electrics. I imagine it's VERY LIKELY got damp, and it's also literally NEXT DOOR To a parking garage so good luck with those fumes!

The townhouse is Sonja's womb. She will DIE in the place, konked out in her hideous four-poster bed surrounded by prescription meds.

giphy.gif

(I don't think this is actually IN the townhouse, but it works for illustrative purposes :D )

To be fair, she has recently pissed MORE MONEY away by updating it - but a lick of paint and some slightly more minimal furniture ain't gonna get her a sale. You can view here: https://www.6sqft.com/sonja-morgan-...ork-hopes-to-unload-ues-townhouse-for-10-75m/

Sonja has recently been living in her daughters apartment, and later Dorinda's apartment whilst she rents the townhouse out to make a QUICK BUCK. But I believe she's back living there having struggled to rent it during the pandemic.

When Sonja resides there, she's usually aided by an army of unpaid INTERNS:

giphy.gif

Sonja's interns are basically her unpaid SLAVES who do EVERYTHING for her. To be fair, they don't seem to be treated badly at all - and several have taken to reddit having worked for Sonja over a Summer with salacious tales of just how batshit she is in real life - but it's quite a STRANGE mechanic to rely on in regards to just living your life, never mind flaunt on a reality TV show.

Moving on to Sonja's DRINKING :eyes:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Sonja is a GOOD TIME GIRL, and has been responsible for many, many hilarious and fun moments on the show. She's always ENJOYED A TIPPLE, but at some point over the past few seasons it's changed from merry fun to something quite a lot darker.

giphy.gif

The past few seasons have seen Sonja get literally BLIND DRUNK, fall through tables, slur every word she speaks, turn up for events already smashed etc. She defines the phrase SLOPPY DRUNK (and GOD KNOWS we've all had that aimed at us at some point or the other :eyes: ), but it's really at a point where it's just not funny anymore. It continued through most of season 12, and combined with Dorinda being a CRUEL DRUNK the fans really started to make noise about it.

I hope Sonja is in a better place. They all went very light on her at the latest reunion, and she spent the start of Covid in what I think was a rehab facility, so I'm HOPING there has been an off-camera intervention of sorts and she's sorting herself out.

There was a brief scene in the WINE MAZE episode of season 12 where Sonja looks at the camera and says "I don't really want to drink today" :( fast forward a few hours later and she's blind drunk, pants down pissing on camera. It's all got a bit Slurms McKenzie (https://futurama.fandom.com/wiki/Slurms_MacKenzie), and sad to watch.

This is all quite negative, so lets move on to BRIGHTER PASTURES.

Sonja is HILARIOUS! She's a much loved Housewife for good reason. She's ditzy, flirty, generally quite a positive character, and mostly has a warm heart (unless your name is Tinsley, and you're living with Sonja :D )

giphy.gif

One of my favourite Housewives scenes EVER EVER is when Sonja presents her weekly Wednesday GAY PARTIES on camera, where she essentially opens up her townhouse to ANY GAY in the vicinity (including a young Aquaria on the time it was filmed) to pop a bottle and have a GAY OLD TIME. She's the mad gay godmother we ALL want in our lives. Sadly it's not on YouTube but I DO URGE YOU to seek it out.

Sonja's also a bit of a secret bitch. Compared to others in the cast, Sonja gets off QUITE LIGHTLY in regards to being seen as an aggressor, but she has her MOMENTS.

One of my faves is when she CHUCKS OUT Alex (who is masquerading as Versace Liz Hurley for some reason) out of her townhouse :D One of the best moment of season 4:

ALSO in season 4, Sonja mischievously CROPPED OUT boring flop Housewife Sindy from the cast holiday snaps, and TERRORISED HER by taking her hangers from her suite.

She let it RIP at Aviva when Aviva called her and Ramona WHITE TRASH!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

and AS MENTIONED, she was generally FOUL to Tinsley when she moved in with Sonja.

and OF COURSE, you DO NOT TOUCH THE MORGAN LETTERS!

I haven't even GOT to her bad business decision yet!
Another of my favourite EVER Housewife scenes is where Sonja takes Bethenny along to one of her "business meetings" for her fashion range, and Bethenny is legit GOBSMACKED by the mass disorganisation and TOTAL MESS of Sonja's apparent empire.

NEVER MIND when Sonja attempted to rip off Bethenny's bulletproof SkinnyGirl brand with her own: TIPSYGIRL :D

I don't know, I just feel Sonja could handle her public image better. She could be a YouTube smash doing a ludicrous TOASTER OVER cooking show. She could do a Gemma Collins style rambling podcast of her insane delusions. There's so many places she could go with her strong personal brand, it's sad to see her flatline constantly, and publicly.

giphy.gif

I think I'm about up to character limit, so enjoy Sonja's best moments for the uninitiated. That it starts with a shot of her BARE ARSE is quite telling about her character :eyes:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

NEXT!

Last edited:
Sonja is such a bizarre character. Absolutely essential but doesn’t feel like a real person :D

She’s definitely the only Housewife I feel sorry for whenever somebody tries to come for her. The scene where Bethenny tore into her for Tipsy Girl is UNWATCHABLE.

giphy.gif

Oh now I absolutely ADORE Sonja. Yes she is a complete mess but there's something about her that makes you root for her to score a success in something/anything.

@wurst I loved your write-up but can't believe you left out her penchant for trying to score with the other women when she's drunk. One of my fave Sonja moments is one we don't even see - when Dorinda relays the story to Tinsley of finding Sonja asleep on the chair, sat upright and thinking she was dead. Then having to haul her upstairs while Sonja tried it on with her the entire way.

Oh now I absolutely ADORE Sonja. Yes she is a complete mess but there's something about her that makes you root for her to score a success in something/anything.

@wurst I loved your write-up but can't believe you left out her penchant for trying to score with the other women when she's drunk. One of my fave Sonja moments is one we don't even see - when Dorinda relays the story to Tinsley of finding Sonja asleep on the chair, sat upright and thinking she was dead. Then having to haul her upstairs while Sonja tried it on with her the entire way.

TOTALLY AGREE, a HORNY SONJA moment was absolutely missing! THANK GOD I have you queens to help fill in the blanks :disco:

I think I missed a little how BELOVED Sonja is too - she’s really such a precious flower. For all her mistakes, you REALLY just want her to be ok.

How decrepit is the townhouse that she can’t get $6 million for it! A google search reveals it was bought for $9 million 20 years ago!!! You’d think the MORGANS would’ve made a BETTER INVESTMENT!

CACKLING! :D

The townhouse is so iconic, I’ve deffo mentioned in the other thread, but there are proper DEEP DIVES into Sonja’s non-finances on reddit that do truly make quite fascinating reading :disco:

I love that fight with Alex.

Sonja has taken Luanne’s place as the saddest NYC housewife for me. Now that Luanne has calmed down and has a career as a cabaret artist, poor Sonja is the one who has no prospects. If she was clever she would sell that townhouse and get herself a small apartment to grow old in.

Sonja has taken Luanne’s place as the saddest NYC housewife for me. Now that Luanne has calmed down and has a career as a cabaret artist, poor Sonja is the one who has no prospects. If she was clever she would sell that townhouse and get herself a small apartment to grow old in.

It MAY BE BE THE WINE :eyes: but this entire paragraph reads SO SAVAGE TO ME :D :disco:

Thank god Sonja has her daughter with the MORGAN name, literally her only life raft in a sea of shit!

Plus whilst I’m sure we could all live happily on $6 million I’m quite sure she’d PISS IT UP THE WALL in a few years somehow.

WITHOUT A DOUBT any PENNY that Sonja earns is immediately invested into horrendously BAD DECISIONS, she’s totally beyond any help at all by now - and her delusions just make it even worse :D

I do feel SO SORRY for her mysterious daughter, as much as we love her IMAGINE having to deal with Sonja as a PARENT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom